Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Nov 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
This has been in place since 2019 and I think it doesn’t affect credit cards as the company can tell it’s not an actual charge? I may be wrong but I think the issues are with debit cards and prepaid cards.
I hope this is the case Gill. Thanks for the link to the other thread on my post about this btw - did a bit more digging.

Some people are saying more recently on FB that the pending charges do eat into your credit limit, as if you're spending. This would be a annoying as I just took out a fee free credit card to take with me. But, I'd only be able to spend 50% of the limit if this is true, and the limit was already less than we'd usually spend.

Plenty of time for me to research this before our trip next year though 😬
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I would be interested in what you find out! I just think surely if this has been happening since 2019, there would be more on the Dibb about it than there is (well, OK, not that recently but still...)

Last time we still used travellers cheques to pay off our balance every few days. Shame that's not really an option any more.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
This has been in place since 2019 and I think it doesn’t affect credit cards as the company can tell it’s not an actual charge? I may be wrong but I think the issues are with debit cards and prepaid cards.
I use credit cards abroad as the pending dont effect your balance until finally authorised (certainly not with my cards - they are merely shown as grey) - debit cards do effect your available balance tho
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

We tend to take $100 a day in cash for tolls, parking at the disney parks (uoap so don't need for universal), petrol and snacks
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

I take a small amount in cash just in case it’s needed. Last time I assumed tolls took card and didn’t have enough in coins to pay for the first toll!
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by peter+lynne View Post
for you card users which is best when you get the choice.

some card machines asked did you want to pay in dollars or gb pounds

which is best ?
Choose the local currency so that your card provider will set the exchange rate and it will be a fair rate. If you choose to pay in GBP it'll be the store/restaurant that will decide the exchange rate and they will usually set the rate in their favour.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I use credit cards abroad as the pending dont effect your balance until finally authorised (certainly not with my cards - they are merely shown as grey) - debit cards do effect your available balance tho
So say I had a limit of £2000 on a UK credit card. If I spent £1000 in Disney, and had an additional £1000 in pending charges, would my available balance still be £1000 or would it show £0 available?

Not sure what card the lady had in Epcot who got declined, but it was a UK credit card.

Edit: just contacted Amex on chat (not the card I planned to use, but they're quick to respond). They said the pending charges would be taken from available balance on all Amex cards.

Edited at 11:48 AM.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
So say I had a limit of £2000 on a UK credit card. If I spent £1000 in Disney, and had an additional £1000 in pending charges, would my available balance still be £1000 or would it show £0 available?

Not sure what card the lady had in Epcot who got declined, but it was a UK credit card.

Edit: just contacted Amex on chat (not the card I planned to use, but they're quick to respond). They said the pending charges would be taken from available balance on all Amex cards.
On the cards I use, it would be zero. Pending charges/holds are deducted from my credit limit. This is Amex and Halifax Clarity.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post

Amex is charge isn't it (unsure)

I have Nationwide and a good one for travelling and they don't reduce the balance. But I guess they could allow you to go over the limit (then charge you)

I guess if you have a small limit like say $2k then you could pay off the balance every day or so ?
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Amex is charge isn't it (unsure)

I have Nationwide and a good one for travelling and they don't reduce the balance. But I guess they could allow you to go over the limit (then charge you)

I guess if you have a small limit like say $2k then you could pay off the balance every day or so ?
Well, I took out the Virgin travel credit card a little while ago after discussing the issue on here. They're not as easy to get in touch with as Amex, but I'll try to find out the policy.

Unlike my other cards (which charge foreign transaction fees), this one has a smaller limit. Definitely not enough if I need a "double-buffer" to cover the pending charges.

We only go away for about 7 days, and always clear the balance immediately - but that wouldn't fix the pending charges unfortunately.

Never even thought about all this before. I used a credit card in Disneyland California with absolutely no problems in 2019 - must have been before they changed the policy. Apparently they used to collect from the actual pending charge itself, now they put the real charge through as a separate one.