Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
Can you use Peppermint Extract rather than Essence 🤔
Yes extract would be fine but maybe not as much as if you used essence 👍🏻
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
Yes extract would be fine but maybe not as much as if you used essence 👍🏻
Thanks. Could only find extract x
Old 1 Dec 21, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
I normally add to my own taste a little at a time 👍🏻
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I made this for the first time last year and we ate the whole lot in one night, I will definitely be making it again, so easy and so yummy!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

I've never had Ghirardelli's chocolate bark, but it looks amazing!

I would love to make some so I have a few questions please. How thick/thin should the dark chocolate layer be? And how much thicker should the white chocolate layer be? would it be like 25/75 mix? Also, how finely or chunkily should you smash the candy canes?

Do you all temper your chocolate? I would imagine that the dark chocolate should be tempered so as not to get that 'bloom', but I have no idea about white chocolate. Does white get the same bloom as dark?

So looking forward to making this!
Old 2 Dec 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
I've never had Ghirardelli's chocolate bark, but it looks amazing!

I would love to make some so I have a few questions please. How thick/thin should the dark chocolate layer be? And how much thicker should the white chocolate layer be? would it be like 25/75 mix? Also, how finely or chunkily should you smash the candy canes?

Do you all temper your chocolate? I would imagine that the dark chocolate should be tempered so as not to get that 'bloom', but I have no idea about white chocolate. Does white get the same bloom as dark?

So looking forward to making this!
I use 1 bar dark and 1 bar milk and melt together in a bowl over saucepan of water. When melted I spatula flat on grease proof paper and pop in the fridge to set.
Then I melt 2 bars of white and once melted add the peppermint to taste.
Then pour onto the set chocolate and scatter the candy canes ( really it’s however you would like to when it comes to breaking up)
Pop back in the fridge and break into pieces when set

Others may do it differently but this certainly goes down well for me and those who I may share the odd piece with 😂
Old 2 Dec 21, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
I use 1 bar dark and 1 bar milk and melt together in a bowl over saucepan of water. When melted I spatula flat on grease proof paper and pop in the fridge to set.
Then I melt 2 bars of white and once melted add the peppermint to taste.
Then pour onto the set chocolate and scatter the candy canes ( really it’s however you would like to when it comes to breaking up)
Pop back in the fridge and break into pieces when set

Others may do it differently but this certainly goes down well for me and those who I may share the odd piece with 😂
Thank you so much! So, it seems the mix between white and dark/milk is 50/50? And you dont need to temper?
Old 3 Dec 21, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
Thank you so much! So, it seems the mix between white and dark/milk is 50/50? And you dont need to temper?
I’ll put my hands up and admit I don’t even know what temper is 😳
Old 3 Dec 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I don’t bother tempering as it never last long and once it’s broken up looks aren’t that important though if you’re making as a gift then you may want to to get a more shiny/bloom free look.

I smash my candy canes quite fine as I prefer it that way but others do chunkier pieces it’s really down to personal preference.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
I don’t bother tempering as it never last long and once it’s broken up looks aren’t that important though if you’re making as a gift then you may want to to get a more shiny/bloom free look.

I smash my candy canes quite fine as I prefer it that way but others do chunkier pieces it’s really down to personal preference.
Thank you for that. I haven't been able to get out to the shop yet, but hopefully sometime over the weekend