Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
One Mad woman and her dog 2- Aberfeldy June 21. Day 6 Home and highs and lows

Friday 18th June

Wake up about 5, but make myself go back to sleep for a bit then up at 7. Long way home today.
I pack up the crazy amount of things you end up with bringing a dog, and do several trips to the car. Piece of toast each and a tea and coffee for me, and strip the bed and take the rubbish out etc.
Time to check out. This place has just been so lovely. I really can see us coming back here.
Off we go, and about 45 mins in we get to the Shell garage that we stopped at on the way up. The car really doesn’t need charging, but I plug in regardless just because I’m dying for a proper coffee and there is a Starbucks here, I get an iced latte and a tuna melt. I just stick £5 on my Starbucks app. The charger only costs £2.08.

Then on we go again. I drive past Glasgow and it’s clear that I’m just not quite going to make it home. I try the other chargers I got working on the way up and they are full so I pull into Gretna. The fast charger is full so I plug into the slow charger as the man says he’s only going to be 10 mins so I take Max for a quick walk, then shuffle over to the fast charger. I sit reading for about half an hour, until I have more than enough to put my foot down all the way home. The chargers cost 30p and £7.02. I also buy some snacks from WHSmiths for £6.15.

Then load up and just put my foot down. Takes about 2.5 hours from here and Max doesn’t lift his head at all.

Finally get home about 4, exhausted. See DH, then head down down to see the horses.

Had it confirmed we’re moving on Monday so an early night ready for packing and moving out tomorrow! We order a pizza £20 and just chill out watching the match

Miles travelled 287
Amount spent £47.77

Highs

Seeing my brother, and basically everything about our Glasgow stay except the heat. The hotel was fab, we won our Euro Match and getting to hug my brother was just the BEST!

The Air bnb in Aberfeldy was absolutely fantastic. So relaxing and downright lovely. Nothing was too much trouble.

Aberfeldy itself was just how I remembered it. Really pretty and nearly everyone was so friendly. The food and drinks were fab and cheap and it was very Max friendly.

The walks were all fab, but I think Faskally woods was our favourite, followed by maybe the Hermitage.

Scottish Crannog centre. This was just the most fascinating 2 hours.

Dewars world of Whisky was great!

Mediums

I think Pitlochry. I stayed here on my way home from the NC500, and it seemed so pretty, but just peak dog vomit time so we watched Netflix in the room for most of it. I was really looking forward to visiting again, and nearly stayed there, but when it came down to it I preferred Aberfeldy. Cheaper, friendlier, and just a bit less tourist driven. Still a nice day though.

Lows

It improved, but the stress of trying to get my car charged. Despite downloading the app I couldn’t get any of the Chargeplace Scotland chargers to work for me, and the Ecotricity at the services are patchy at best. I reverted to good old 3 pin plug through the window which did save my bacon, but I will be tempted to hire a car I think on long journeys like that despite how much I love my car. I couldn’t have done the NC500 in it.
Old 27 Jun 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for your reports, we are going to Highlands area in July and doing a little of the NC500. Got lots of tips from you and other Dibbers!
We are travelling from Aviemore to Ayr on our last full day and I'm now minded to stop in Aberfeldy!
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Really enjoyed reading this. My parents live near Dunkeld so we know all the places you’ve visited very well! We live 400 miles from them but go up about every other year so maybe more. I’m off to see them the first week of the school hols… will head to The Hermitage for our favourite walk. Will also see my sister for the first time in a year so that will be very special!
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by ginwithaslice View Post
Thanks for your reports, we are going to Highlands area in July and doing a little of the NC500. Got lots of tips from you and other Dibbers!
We are travelling from Aviemore to Ayr on our last full day and I'm now minded to stop in Aberfeldy!
Sorry I had missed this. Pitlochry might be more on your way. And a bit more touristy etc, so could be good for a quick stop. But for accommodation I defo prefer Aberfeldy x
Old 12 Jul 21, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by cherub85 View Post
Really enjoyed reading this. My parents live near Dunkeld so we know all the places you’ve visited very well! We live 400 miles from them but go up about every other year so maybe more. I’m off to see them the first week of the school hols… will head to The Hermitage for our favourite walk. Will also see my sister for the first time in a year so that will be very special!
We loved the Hermitage. It’s such a lovely part of the world, a real shame it’s so far away though.
I saw my brother this weekend for the first time in a long time too. It’s been really tough hasn’t it? Thanks for reading x
Old 26 Jul 21, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
What a lovely trip. So nice to see all the places you visited, Aberfeldy looked lovely.
Max is a wee cutie and looked like he had a great time too.
Old 8 Jan 22, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Great trip report - thanks for writing.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 22, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
Great trip report - thanks for writing.
Ahh thanks for reading! Nice to see this pop back up. If you do decide to go then feel free to ask any questions