Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 10 May 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

overnight oats?

anyone make over night oats? what are you favorite recipes?

there are so many different ones online with lots of different base ingredients. dd has tried a couple of different recipes but the results have been pretty meh so so looking for some that are tried and tested

any suggestions much appreciated
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

For the 2 of us, 1 cup of rolled oats, 1 cup of milk, 1 tablespoon of honey and whatever extras

We vary the milk, cows, almond, tescos chocolate milk, or half milk half yoghurt.

We vary the extras, frozen berries, apple and raisins with cinnamon (cooked or raw), peanut butter, sliced banana, Nutella, or...

I like, oats, semi skimmed, honey, cherry pie filling, or fresh strawberries.

Dd likes oats, almond milk, sliced banana and peanut butter.

The main thing is to get the sweetness you want, if it is not sweet enough it becomes a chore to eat rather than a joy.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Not for me, tried it once and hated it, hot porridge with honey for me.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I use mostly frozen fruit 40g of oats and mix the fruit and oats together then add low fat yogurt and leave in the fridge overnight then it’s ready for me to take to work the next day
Old 10 May 21, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

In addition... nicest one ever for me was just oats, milk, honey and tinned figs in syrup, so tinned and bottled fruits work nicely.

Did think about trying the apricots in courvoisier that we got at Christmas, but going to work smelling of booze might not go down too well...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I tried this a couple of years ago when following a healthy diet, but struggled with the idea of eating raw oats, although the flavour was nice. I used a cup of oats, a cup of skimmed milk, and a couple of tablespoons of very thick lemon yoghurt. The whole thing was heavy and weird, but I think that was just in my head!
Old 10 May 21, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I like these a lot. I have been known to warm a bowl through for a minute in the microwave on chilly mornings. My favourite is with frozen raspberry crumbs (from our local fruit farm) and banana.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I use 40g oats, a muller lite (current favourite is millionaire shortbread) and a couple of tablespoons of 0% fat natural yogurt otherwise its too thick. I'll usually add fresh berries or if I'm stuck -tinned fruit cocktail.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I use the bags of Kavanaghs oats from Aldi. 40-50gms with 50gms of Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt, 50gms frozen blueberries, and I use unsweetened almond milk. If you prefer it sweeter use semi milk, or add a little maple syrup.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

After trying it several times I now just make my porridge in the slow cooker overnight
And add a banana or what ever in the morning much prefer it
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List