Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Jan 22, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
karalma
Imagineer

4th Time Lucky Day 14 Will We Fly?

Today we would find out whether we were able to fly home and whether we would get to ride FoP.

Following our negative tests last night we were a bit more relaxed about flying home. So first up was FoP. At 8.00, when individual lightening lane purchases opened to non resort guests Alix was on the app ready to purchase. We hoped we might be in luck as AK opened at 8.00 which only gave resort guests an hour to purchase before non resort guests unlike other parks that opened later. 6.15 was available so Alix hit purchase but it had gone. 7.40 was available but again when she hit purchase it had gone. And there were no more available. Our chances were gone in seconds. This was disappointing and our only option now was to keep checking the app and trying the get in line before park closing strategy that had worked so well with Rise.

It was dull and gloomy today but that wouldn’t stop us enjoying the pool. But then the pool guys turned up to clean it. We waited for them to finish and were just about to go in when another guy turned up to fix the spa. We were a little disappointed this hadn’t been fixed earlier but the man explained that it was now difficult to get parts. He also told us that they no longer provided pool covers because of the amount of accidents children had with them, many of them fatal.

While we waited we decided to do our return tests. This took quite a while, not because it was difficult but because we read everything to ensure we got it all right. We also had to register the test and upload the results to get our fit to fly certificates. It was such a relief to get this sorted. I am so pleased I had not at that point heard of people receiving positive results or I would have been more nervous. I can see now how organised we were when I have read of people not having tests, not knowing where to test and not having anywhere to stay when they did test positive.

The spa was fixed so we were about to go in the pool when Darren realised that now the pool heating wasn’t working. He rang the management company who said they would come out and sort it. So we decided to have lunch and watch Boris' latest announcement. But it turned out there was no announcement. At least that meant we had nothing else to worry about. It had been a disappointing morning but the most important thing was we could go home.

It wasn’t long before the management company arrived and sorted the heating. The manager told Darren some of the problems they had experienced with damages and thefts from the villas as they had had to offer short term lets during the pandemic. Our villa owner had decided not to do this and he had waited until international travel had reopened. We had a lovely afternoon alternating between the pool and the spa as the spa was now lovely and hot. Too soon it was time to get ready for Animal Kingdom.

On the way to AK Matt rang and we had a lovely chat. I had to say goodbye as we went through bag check as it had started raining a little so I had to put my camera in my bag and I knew this would activate the scanner alarms. My bag was quickly checked and Alix and I were entering the park at 3.30.

First stop was a shop to find a poncho as I had come without a jacket. Luckily Alix had brought hers. I couldn’t see any ponchos so said I would get one later if needed. We realised we couldn’t do both Art of Animation and Circle of Life so decided on Circle of Life as we had not seen this for a few years. The auditorium was packed and the CMs were encouraging everybody to sit close together. We managed to ignore this and give ourselves a little space.

We enjoyed the show and afterwards managed to make our way through the crowds in order to get in line for Safaris 10 minutes before it closed. The wait time was posted as 55 minutes but only took 20. We were lucky enough to be in the front row on our own. However, it wasn’t the best Safari as it was rushed and the driver didn’t always stop long enough for us to take pictures of the few animals that were out.

We browsed a few shops but I didn’t bother looking for a poncho as the drizzle was quite warm. I would regret this later. We were disappointed that there were no photographers out as we didn’t have many photopass pics here and this was our last chance, so we just had to take our own.

Next up was Dinosaur which had a realistic wait time of 35 minutes.

Everest was next with a wait time of 30 minutes but it only took 20. It was quite cold on here tonight as we whizzed around in the rain.

We decided to head over and have a wander around Pandora. Navi wait time was 90 minutes which was too long. We stopped to watch the Tree Awakenings and this was the first time we had managed to get so close as there were not many people around.

After admiring Pandora we had done everything we wanted and as it was still drizzling and there were no photographers we decided to get in line for FoP at 7.30 rather than wait around outside the line for half an hour. The wait time said 140 minutes. We had never joined a line this long before and I could never understand people who did so I was really hoping the time was over estimated. Unfortunately just after we got in line the rain got heavier. After 15 minutes I was soaked and because we had never done the standby line before we had no idea how long it took to reach the indoor line. I had just told Alix that I wasn't sure I could do this as we were both cold when we reached the shelter of trees. From here it wasn’t too bad, apart from the odd drips that rolled down my back from the trees. Before long we were inside and had things to look at that we had never seen before. As soon as the lightening lane closed at 8.00 the line became a slow walk so I could see how it would be much quicker if you got in line at the end of the night. It took 70 minutes to reach the pre show and 80 to reach the ride. As we reached the pre show Alix sent Darren a message asking him to pick us up. As soon as the ride was over I turned to Alix and said, "It was worth the wait." I had forgotten how amazing it is and would have happily stood in line again. I love walking out of an empty park.

Darren’s timing was great and he arrived at the pick up point just after we did.

He had managed to upload everything to Verifly and all documents had been accepted, meaning that both our flights today were a success.

Edited at 08:46 AM.
karalma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Glad you were all negative it must have been such a worry

And a nice wet evening to finish your holiday off you did well waiting when you were wet through!

Joan
Old 15 Jan 22, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Oh no poor you drenched and waiting and wondering how long it would take to get on the ride. We've also never done the stand by queue for FOP, I reckon we will be this summer, I'm hoping I'll have your staying power.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
karalma
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Glad you were all negative it must have been such a worry

And a nice wet evening to finish your holiday off you did well waiting when you were wet through!
Joan
It was the only time I’ve been stressed on holiday. Looking back now I’d take that wet evening again b

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Oh no poor you drenched and waiting and wondering how long it would take to get on the ride. We've also never done the stand by queue for FOP, I reckon we will be this summer, I'm hoping I'll have your staying power.
It was worth it and I’m sure you will be warmer
karalma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List