Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 5 Feb 17, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post

And When Did You Last See Your Father? - Day 10 (Cinderella's Royal Table and Guilty Pleasures)

We are a family of three - me (April), DH (R.C.) and DS (Poot - who turned 10 on this holiday!). We visited Orlando and Sanibel Island, travelling from Gatwick on BA.

DH has his own business and could only join us for part of the holiday (hence the title of this trippie!). He’s not really a theme park sort of chap, but he enjoys it down on the Gulf Coast.

For our week on Sanibel we were joined by my DM (Judybat) and her husband (Hans).

Trippie Index Here

Day 9 (Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary and PIE!) Here

Magic Kingdom Redux! The Best Day!

This morning Magic Kingdom was originally scheduled to open at 9:00 AM - and I had booked an 8:00 AM breakfast at Crystal Palace. Alas! - the park hours changed - so I cancelled the reservation.

Instead, we decided to grab a light breakfast at the Saratoga quick service restaurant and then (try to) be at MK in time for the welcome show.

We ate some seriously tasty food today - if you want to skip to things to put on your must-try list then scroll down to the Egg Roll Wagon. But if you’re going to be staying at Saratoga, keep reading (I beg you)...

Neither Poot nor I are big egg eaters (I can manage quiche and fritatta, but not an egg on its own - it’s the smell! ) so there were few breakfast choices that we liked the look of here...

Having already sampled the Mickey Waffles, today we decided to try:

French Toast Strata - baked French toast topped with strawberry sauce and whipped cream $6.59 (we used 1 QS credit)

This was straight-up BAD. It was extremely dry, and had little flavour. In the past, whenever I’ve ordered “strata” it’s been like a quiche - and I love French toast - but this was just a pile of sugary croutons stuck together with egg.

The plop of (sweetened) whipped cream did nothing to help.

In my “Highs and Lows” I said that we had our most disappointing QS meal at Pizzafari - but I lied! - I completely forgot this one until we were going through the pictures of this day. It was so bad I repressed the memory of eating it...

One to avoid at all costs, Saratogans...

I did get a little pot of grapes to accompany the strata…they were...grapes.

We ate a few of the grapes, and took the rest with us to Magic Kingdom. We didn’t eat them on the bus though...because I would never eat on a bus…

As I’ve mentioned, we stayed in Congress Park - and the morning buses to Magic Kingdom were a challenge on the days we didn’t leave CP at least 90 minutes before park opening. This morning, we were the last two guests allowed on the bus from Congress Park (at least fifteen people were left behind) - and nobody was allowed to get on at The Springs.

If I ever stayed at Congress Park again, I think I would make the walk through The Springs (and out the other side) and wait for Magic Kingdom buses at The Grandstand. Here’s a map so you can see the layout:

I promise, though - no more bus talk today!

I’m glad we got the chance to see the Magic Kingdom Welcome Show when it still featured the train...

Welcome!

We missed Peter Pan’s Flight yesterday - so that was our first stop this morning - I liked all the little surprises (especially the shadows) in the new queue - very cool!

Over to Tomorrowland for a go on the Astro Orbiter:

To me this is the scariest ride at Walt Disney World - I always feel like I am going to fall out of my rocket!

If you read Day 1 of this trippie, you know that Poot was born in America - and despite having lived his whole life in England and France - he loves being "American".

Liberty Tree Lad:

We just happened to be in Liberty Square when the town crier announced the Muppet show (because, annoyingly, the Times Guide didn’t list the specific times of the Muppet performances - only something like “appearing from 10:00 - 5:00”).

Great Moments in History...But Only The American Parts!

We saw a little skit about the Declaration of Independence (but I assume there are other skits...at least that’s how the town crier made it sound…).

The show was pretty funny - if you like Sam the Eagle, this one’s for you.

Adventureland was next on our list - we had a FP for the “Jingle Cruise”.

Neither of us had gotten to ride Jungle Cruise with the Christmas overlay before, so it was rather disappointing when our skipper was a young lady “earning her ears” whose voice we couldn’t hear AT ALL. We were about ⅔ of the way down the boat - but we might as well have been in Frontierland!

I’m going to betray the sisterhood here (Look away, Gloria Steinem!) - I like my Skippers to be men.

Her trainer took over (and of course he had the perfect Skipper’s voice - low and loud) while we sat in the queue to disembark. As we walked away from the boat, I thought about hopping in the standby queue to try again, but it was 50 minutes long.

Oh, well. Hopefully we didn’t miss much. Or did we? Was the Jingle Cruise any funnier than the regular cruise?

We finished off Adventureland and had a sit-down in the Tiki Room. I’ve heard that Magic Kingdom is now letting you bring Dole Whips into the Tiki Room (like they do at Disneyland...has anybody done that yet?

I love the Tiki Room - knowing that it was an attraction that was near and dear to Walt’s heart makes it special.

By now we were properly hungry - the grapes and croutons seemed a long time ago...we decided to head for the Egg Roll Wagon (this was on my list of snacks to try)...

Above photo from Easy WDW (I think)

I am SO glad the Egg Roll Wagon was open today - we never saw it serving food again the whole time we were in Disney. When I look on Allears it says “Open Seasonally”.

Now Magic Kingdom was always VERY BUSY (sometimes too busy to really enjoy) the whole of our holiday, so I dislike the trend to only offer the “full roster” of restaurants, etc...at just Christmas and Easter. We all know Disney’s a business (blah, blah, blah), but it diminishes the guest experience when there are 30 minute queues at Pecos Bill’s and Pinocchio’s but Tortuga Tavern and the Egg Roll Wagon (as examples) aren’t serving at all.

Rant over.

We used 1 snack credit to order two cheeseburger spring rolls. Out of pocket these would set you back $4.50.

When I took receipt of the spring rolls I was a little disappointed - they looked like regular American egg rolls - the ones that have that thick and “floury” wrapper. We settled down on a bench just across the way from the wagon and took our first bites.

The reason they looked like American egg rolls with floury wrappers?

That’s what they were!

I walked BACK over to the wagon, and the very embarrassed CM gave me what we had actually ordered, which looked VERY different (in person - I realise that on a computer screen they all probably look the same).

Ah, SO MUCH BETTER!

The spring rolls had very thin wrappers - so they were super, super crispy. Scroll down it you don’t want to see food that I bit into (we couldn’t find a knife) - it’s coming up...NOW!

Inside the lovely crispy wrapper was savoury beef, onions and melty cheese. It was OUTSTANDING. And so rich - one was definitely enough for me (and even for Poot).

I felt like we should probably eat the egg rolls as well...I really hate to see food wasted - but everything was fried (and I’m not very keen on that sort of egg roll…). In the end we each took one more bite of egg roll and threw the rest out. Sorry!

So if the Egg Roll Wagon is open when you visit Magic Kingdom, skip the egg rolls - but those spring rolls are going on my guilty pleasure list, along with:

and...

Oh, Houston!

Poot had a Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom mission to complete back in Liberty Square, so we headed there next - and after finishing off Dr. Facilier - we rode the Haunted Mansion.

We then headed for Main Street and the Firehouse to (surprise, surprise) get more Sorcerers cards. On the way we met this lady:

One of the great things about your kids getting older - they’re able to enter into the conceit of the streetmosphere! I especially appreciated this over in Knockturn Alley at Universal.

But back at Disney, we also met this lady:

I had lugged Poot’s ten-pound autograph book with us today - because I am an IDIOT, and I made one HUGE book for him instead of several small ones (one for MK, one for Epcot, etc…).

And when I saw Snow White meeting in a lovely little “grotto” on Main Street I thought Poot might like to get her signature (and make packing that anvil worth it!). I *think* this is where St. Nick meets at Magic Kingdom (correct me if I’m wrong)...

There were only two families ahead of us in the queue, so I thought we’d be done with Snow (White) and on to ice (cream) in just a few minutes. But no…

...because each family took at least TEN minutes with Snow. I was starting to get a little frustrated, because Poot (who is a pretty good “waiter”) was getting antsy - and the queue behind us was now LONG. I mean, I know it’s great to get snaps of your kids with characters - but even Grandma doesn’t want THAT MANY PHOTOS!

We passed the time playing “The Minister’s Cat” (I lost, I had “x”).

Poot also practiced the first of his “sentences for beautiful characters” (remember Pocahontas back at Animal Kingdom?).

And then Poot (finally) got to meet Snow White - and I understood why the other families had been so ruddy slow. This was the best meet and greet I’ve ever seen. The time that Snow took with Poot, finding out all about him (and really LISTENING to what he said) - she should pack in Disney and train as a shrink!

He started out with his prepared sentence - “Hello, Snow White. Have you seen the seven dwarfs lately?” (Unsurprisingly, she had )

Next they went through his autograph book together and she pointed out all her “friends” - but then she got to the Star Wars page (which I made just in case any of the SW characters would sign or write something) and she stopped cold.

Snow White: These paintings look TERRIFYING!

Poot: Oh, it’s “Star Wars”.

Snow White: The STARS are having a WAR?

Poot: Noooo, the PEOPLE are having the war.

Snow White: There are PEOPLE who live in the STARS?

It went on and on - and oh, I SO wish I had recorded it - to hear all this in a (perfectly) high-pitched Snow White voice - it was hysterically funny. And Poot was SO excited, he must have recounted the conversation twenty times to me that day. He couldn’t wait to call my husband and tell him, too.

We had to go, eventually - I just felt too awkward keeping people waiting. After thanking Snow White I thanked the character attendant - and she said, “Yes, this is the best meet at Disney World.” I completely agree, and I would LOVE to know...what’s up with that? Is the “grotto” special somehow? Or is it that particular “Snow”?

To celebrate Poot actually getting his voice to work in front of a beautiful lady, we got him an ice cream cone (his first EVER!) from the Plaza to take with us as we walked to the bus. He picked strawberry - you can get a two scoop cone for 1 snack credit ($4.50 if you pay out of pocket).

I had a lick or two - and it was pretty good, if VERY sweet. The ice cream at the Plaza is Edy’s - and I know Edy’s is making more and more flavours with “real” sugar and natural ingredients - but this one tasted a little corn syrupy to me (cheaper, sigh). I really want to try the ice cream at Ample Hills next time we’re at Disney - their ice creams have so few ingredients - I bet the flavours are lovely and clean.

Now, Poot was 9 while we were at Disney - so it didn’t occur to me to “instruct” him on ice cream consumption…but because he’d never had an ice cream cone before, he didn’t really know how to manage it (especially as it was melting FAST in the heat of the day), and...

SPLAT!

Sigh...it was my fault. Guess we’ll have to buy some ice cream and practice at home!

Oh, I forgot to put this in earlier - but you might have noticed that Poot was wearing his "Phantom Manor" shirt today (we got his through the (UK) Disney Store) - he got SO many comments from CMs, who all wanted to know if he'd been to DLP (yes, but he doesn't remember it...). Such a fun thing for boys - they don't get the "Hello Princess" stuff, but this was just as good.

Because we had a dinner reservation tonight back in the Magic Kingdom, I thought we’d take a little rest break back at the hotel. Poot wasn’t quite back to normal and I didn’t want him to fall asleep in his dessert!

Shall we try and rest a little, Poot?

No - let’s go play ping pong!

At the Community Hall (next to the Springs pool) -

- you can borrow all sorts of recreation equipment (and board games, DVDs, etc…). We checked out our paddles and ball and got playing.

After chasing the ping pong ball all over the pool deck, we went for a swim. There was a Disney trivia contest going on (and on and on and on) when we got to the pool, but Poot wasn’t interested. We did have a go at Disney Attractions Bingo, which was the next game. It was so S-L-O-W that we both got bored and gave it up.

So it was back to Room 1812 to get ready for church - and our first Signature Dining experience of the holiday…

We got an Uber ($8) to the Shrine (again - see Day 3 for photos) for Sunday Mass and were lucky enough to snag a ride back to Disney with an American family (Thank you, Guerrero family from Miami!). Mrs. Guerrero had seen Poot’s autograph book on our pew and offered us a lift.

So we just had my phone and the autograph book with us when we returned to Magic Kingdom. How lovely it was to go through the “No Bags” queue! I felt like quite the VIP...

continues in next post with our dinner Chez Cinderella...

Edited at 12:54 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post

continued from previous post

We pin-traded our way up to the Castle for our 7:45 PM reservation at Cinderella’s Royal Table.

Now I know what you’re thinking...April, why are you taking that poor boy to a PRINCESS dinner?

I solemnly swear…

...he asked to go there when he saw the menu on Allears!

This was my first time at Cinderella’s, so I was a little bit taken aback when we went to check in:

CM at Hostess Stand: What time is your reservation?

Me: 7:45

CM: And what time is it now?

Me (looking around for a clock): I’m not sure...

CM: It’s 7:40 - come back at 7:45.

I “got it” once we went inside the Castle, but would it have killed the condescending woman outside to explain a little?

So YOU don’t feel embarrassed - let me explain a little:

They only let a few people into Cindy’s at a time - because there isn’t a “waiting area” (per se) inside - just Cinderella’s reception chamber. I’m sure they don’t want that lovely room overwhelmed with lots of loud chatter/strollers/whatever.

I was horrified to see VERMIN inside the Castle…

We were taken straight to Cinderella. I didn’t expect much from this meet and greet - I’d read that this was usually a sign and shove one...and it was.

But then...Poot saw that Cinderella was standing all alone (and sort of swaying and dancing) and this happened:

Poot asked Cinderella if she would like to see HIM dance (Say NO, Cinderella - you can never un-see it!) :

Cinderella: What do you call that dance?

Poot: The Electric Frog

Cinderella: I don’t know the Electric Frog, but I DO know how to waltz. Do YOU know how to waltz?

Poot: No, I don’t.

Cinderella: Would you like me to teach you?

Poot: Yes, please!

Now if I had known this was going to happen I would have had my phone on video and all that good stuff, but the Photopass snapper did get a few pictures.

I imagine that the next time we go, Poot will be past this sort of encounter...I’m glad I have the memory of this one (it was just...precious).

Something funny happened after Poot finished his waltz. Another family was brought in and the father (having seen Poot and Cindy) said he wanted a dance, too. It was cute - Cinderella corrected his technique!

We waited for about five more minutes and then they announced us (this part is great for kids - they make a big deal of welcoming your family LOUDLY and individually). We went up the spiral staircase (again, a lovely touch) and passed these:

OK - I know this is the SECOND set of potty doors in this report.

The restaurant is lovely.

And I was (pleasantly) surprised at the relative lack of noise. Perhaps because by the time we were seated it was pretty late (by American standards).

We were taken to a table in the center of the restaurant (no window table for a woman alone with a child ).

Our waiter arrived after a few minutes - and he greeted us, confirmed the dining plan and took our drinks order - in French.

So...you know that we live in France for part of the year - I suppose he must have overheard us talking (we usually speak to one another other in English, but sometimes it’s more like Franglais, especially if we are talking about FOOD ).

Poot determined that we should continue with our waiter in French, so that we didn’t embarrass him (Bless!).

I have forgotten this waiter’s name, but he was our second Moroccan waiter of the holiday - and he was great. He brought us out an eau gazeuse (for me) and some eau du robinet (for Poot).

BUT...I have read more than a few trippies where people were rushed out the door at CRT, so my spidey-senses were tingling when our (shared) starter then arrived QUITE QUICKLY.

Chef's Tasting Plate

Cinderella has instructed her Royal Chef to create a selection of assorted cured meats, cheeses, and other specialty selections of the castle for your enjoyment.

There is no choice with the starters at Cindy’s - everyone gets this. To be fair, though - we probably would have picked it anyway - everyone in our house loves little titbitty (tidbitty ) plates like this.

The charcuterie was good, so was the bread - and it’s hard to screw up gherkins and pickled onions. My one huh? was the cheese. The bleu (it tasted like Danish Blue) was OK, but WHY are there cheese cubes on a plate in what is meant to be a fine dining restaurant?

I am not a food snob (you saw my plastic cheese back on Day 6!) - but if the bill looks like this:

then the cheese should look like this:

Poot had the salmon and whatever it was touching (I can’t have fish) - he said it tasted fine, but that it was a bit “soft”.

We ate everything on the cheeseboard except for some of the cheese cubes. I didn’t place the order for our mains until our waiter came to take the starter away. He definitely understood how I wanted to pace the meal.

For my main, I picked:

Pan-seared all-Natural Chicken

served over creamy goat cheese polenta and baby rainbow carrots with a Madeira mushroom reduction

Sorry...I started peeling back the chicken skin before I took the snap.

This was really tasty - the chicken had good flavour and the polenta (I love polenta) was as smooth as pommes puree (and just a little bit “goaty”). The sauce was very more-ish, too. Yum.

Poot had:

Chef's Fish of the Day

On Cinderella's request, the Royal Chef has prepared a delectable dish to showcase the Kingdom's freshest fish

Today’s fish of the day was (more) salmon. It was served over roasted veg and potatoes. Poot really enjoyed it - he said the salmon was flavoursome and the potatoes were delicious. Like most young boys, he isn’t a huge fan of roasted veg - but he ate it. I tried one of the artichokes from his plate and it was very nice indeed.

Just as our mains came out, the first of the evening’s princesses was introduced. Tonight Poot was prepared with one thing to say to each beautiful lady!

Hello, Princess Aurora. Did you have any interesting dreams while you were sleeping?

Hello, Snow White. Have you seen the dwarfs lately (yep, again)?

Hello, Rapunzel. Is Pascal here tonight?

Oh, Ariel - don’t look at my plate - I’m having fish!

Hey, I never said it was Shakespeare!

These were all pretty quick encounters - nothing like meeting Snow White earlier in the day. I think Ariel was probably the chattiest and most fun.

Our waiter delayed taking our dessert order until after we were finished meeting the princesses. We picked:

The Clock Strikes Twelve

dark chocolate mousse served with a raspberry coulis

This was only OK - I liked the coulis, but there was nowhere near enough of it. And the mousse just had that generic “sweet” taste that so many of the Disney desserts seem to have.

But not you, my friend - I’d never say that about you…

Our other pudding was:

Bruno's Favorite Dessert

pineapple-carrot cake, Mascarpone cheese, pineapple-ginger sauce, and pecan brittle

As you can see, this was lovely to look at - and it SOUNDS like it should have had lovely bright tastes, too - but it didn’t. It was better than the chocolate one, though, as the flavours were definitely more discernible.

Our waiter noticed that we hadn’t eaten much of the desserts. He asked if everything was OK.

This next bit is why I told you earlier about the French:

I said that we didn’t think the desserts were too good, but that we had certainly eaten enough already - and not to worry.

He bent down next to me and said quietly:

You are French. You know what good food is. I will bring you out one of every dessert and you may try them all!

This was just so sweet and funny, I could only laugh. But we declined his kind offer and asked for our receipt (there was nothing to pay here; the gratuity was included).

While we waited the restaurant manager came over to me and said that he had noticed Poot eating (um...what?) and that he wanted...to compliment me - that it was great to see a kid in the restaurant eating something other than macaroni and cheese.

I felt a little awkward...it’s not easy to know what to say when people praise me (or Poot) for something that I think should go WITHOUT saying...do you know what I mean?

Moving on...I complimented our waiter to the manager and told him how happy I was about the pacing of the meal.

We left on a real high - aside from Miss Snide working the door (and the cheese cubes), everything at CRT had been good - and rather a lot had been great.

I’ve recently read that dinner here isn’t “worth” 2 credits on the dining plan - but I really struggle to believe that. You get three courses of good (if not outstanding) food, non-alcoholic drinks, the character interaction, and a chance to enjoy the Castle’s beautiful interior. And the tip is included.

The night we were there - our out-of-pocket bill would have been $150. But instead - for two dining credits - we had a waltz with Cinderella, a leisurely three-course meal and the chance to meet five princesses without waiting in a queue (let alone three or four SEPARATE queues).

I said in my Highs and Lows that this was my favourite 2 credit “experience” - we had better food later in the holiday at Citricos - but rolled all up together this meal was pretty unbeatable.

We wandered around in the cool(er) evening air and Poot *tried* to complete his next Sorcerers mission (in Fantasyland). Another sorcerer told us that the outdoor sensors struggle to read the “spells” in the dark - and this did seem to be true.

As you can imagine, I was broken-hearted that the sorcery would have to wait for another day.

The queue at the Saratoga bus stop (Stop 5) was l-o-n-g, but the Disney Springs queue (Stop 4) was not. We hopped that bus after just a couple of minutes wait and then walked back to Congress Park. I really enjoyed walking through Disney Springs in the late evening - the crowds were mostly gone but all the lights were still on. With all the Christmas lights up it looked lovely.

And so to bed...

Day 11 (Epcot, Garden Grill and Magic Kingdom Three-dux) Here

Edited at 11:05 PM.
Old 5 Feb 17, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Lovely moment with your son and cinderella dancing, thats special. Looks like a wonderful day.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Neep
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Great to read the CRT table report. Lovely from the CMs too.
Old 5 Feb 17, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
CRT at night looked fab! A great full day. How lovely to have a waltz with Cinderella.
Old 5 Feb 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
samhugs
Getting Excited

Mobile

Good read again
Old 5 Feb 17, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another brilliant day I love to hear how poot has a question ready for each princess well done to him.
And as for eating well our children were just like him it's lovely to see them enjoying good food.

Joan
Old 8 Feb 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Lovely moment with your son and cinderella dancing, thats special. Looks like a wonderful day.
It was just...perfect. Like something from a Disney advert!

Thanks for coming along with us!

Originally Posted by Neep View Post
Great to read the CRT table report. Lovely from the CMs too.
Thanks! I really went round and round before booking CRT - hopefully this might help other Dibbers decide...

Originally Posted by Twinklestar1 View Post
CRT at night looked fab! A great full day. How lovely to have a waltz with Cinderella.
My son was on Cloud Nine as we walked out of CRT - he was so nervous to meet another princess after his trouble with Pocahontas - I almost cried to see him dancing with Cindy!

Thanks for commenting.

Originally Posted by samhugs View Post
Good read again
Thanks! This one took quite a while to write...glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another brilliant day I love to hear how poot has a question ready for each princess well done to him.
And as for eating well our children were just like him it's lovely to see them enjoying good food.

Joan
Thanks, Joan - I knew you and I had lots in common!

My DH and I were that little bit older when Poot was born - so I was TIRED for many months... and I certainly wasn't going to be making two separate meals every night...

He was very pleased with his little sentences and rather put out with Aurora when she was rather noncommittal in reply...
Old 9 Feb 17, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Poot is such a great sport! A lot of boys would just go in a huff at the thought of meeting Princesses. Much be fun for them too to meet a young boy so engaged.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 17, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Poot is such a great sport! A lot of boys would just go in a huff at the thought of meeting Princesses. Much be fun for them too to meet a young boy so engaged.
Aw, thanks.

You know, he didn't say a word until he was two and a half. Not one word. He has been making up for that ever since!