Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 10 Aug 18, 04:19 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Stampeding to Calgary - a bit late! 9th August Travel Day

We learned quite a few lessons today, see what you think!

I was in a bit of a paddy because I hate travel - love holidays but not the getting there. Added to this were heaps and heaps of bad reviews for Air Canada on the 787-9 that I was trying to persuade dh to let me upgrade - he wouldn't! Anyway we were all packed and said goodbye to the kids before 10 for the hours journey to Heathrow. We had Meet and Greet booked in T2 so straight into the terminal with no hassle. Or so we thought...

We forgot Boomtown started today, traffic was backed up on the M3 north so a journey that normally takes maybe 15 mins tops took about 45 even though we tried to do some cut throughs Then sat nav and directions differed on where to come off M25 - we followed directions as the M25 was solid and stationary a few hundred yards past the exit Dropped the car off and were waiting for the lifts which kept going straight past without stopping so finally gave up and each lugged a case up the escalator but it was around 11.50 by this time with boarding due to start in half an hour

Luckily I had checked in online earlier so we just had to do bag drop. Big queues at the economy automated stands, which I agree are fine if you know what you are doing and people queue orderly, neither of which was happening! We finally did it but the machine only printed our boarding passes not our bag tags so we had to queue again to drop them. This guy then took our passports and disappeared About 5 mins later, seemed longer, he returned with the tags, no explanations. Anyway we then hoofed it to security, bag tag guy said to say to security we were in a hurry but again no one until you got to the actual bit so we had to wait again, by now it was about 12.30

Finally through security and discovered it was 13 mins walk to our gate, up and down escalators etc and we got there at 12.55 to discover we were the last 2, they asked where we had been - shopping was suggested and we were told they were about to offload our bags - remember that!

Anyway contrary to popular belief we weren't cheered on our entry, got sat down and we were pushing back before the 1.05 time!

I must say after all the reviews I was really dreading this flight but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes you are a bit jammed in but no worse than economy in anything else, dh is 6ft and sat in the middle seat with the front one reclined and was fine. I managed a couple of big hour long naps as well as watching a film and reading. Staff were friendly and food was ok. I had made sure we were as far forward as I could get 2 seats together as a lot of complaints were of food choices or food altogether running out 3 rows from the back! We both had the pesto chicken with mash and ratatouille. It was fine, chicken was moist, mash a bit sloppy but ok and the ratatouille very tomatoey. Anyway I won't believe all I read on Seat Guru in future!

We arrived about 15 mins early into Calgary, just after at least a Transat flight so had a big wait in immigration! Then the carousel, first bag off no problems then we waited, and waited and waited some more We finally realised the other bag wasn't coming off and along with about a dozen other AC passengers we discovered that our bags were still at LHR The AC chap was very apologetic and we filled in the form and he seemed quite grateful that we were staying in one place for 2 weeks and said hopefully it would be delivered to our hotel by the next night or by 20th August - 3 days before we come home

Off to get the car next and I saw this lovely statue which really made me happy
Absolutely beautiful.

Car not great, a Kia Ultima, just the wallowing thing we didn't want but hey ho. At least no luggage problems fitting it in!

Journey out to Canmore really simple, main roads all the way, good signage and my directions from google as I had to hold the phone! And wow the mountains just appear, no little foot hills and building, just here we are guysHotel was just off main road very simple to find, lovely views, unfortunately very hazy due to fires, which may cause us problems but we will wait and see.

It was about 6 when we arrived. The hotel staff lovely, hotel room just what I wanted on top floor with vaulted ceilings and a gift to say Happy Anniversary to us.

Anyway as I only had little kitten heeled sandals on we decided not to walk into Canmore for tea and just got some snacks from the cafe downstairs (we had had some chik fil a while waiting for the hire car to be ready). We assessed what we were missing - mostly my clothes and shoes but some of dh too! so will have to go shopping tomorrow and not use our jet lag to benefit from Lake Louise etc. Which to be truthful, doesn't seem so bad. It is 9.20 and still light but we don't feel too bad for being up 22 hours so maybe the Dreamliner helped!

So that is our first day, hectic but we can now relax, thanks for reading!
Old 10 Aug 18, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

That’s an eventful travel day, glad you’re all there and settled in and really hope the case turns up sooner rather than later.

Know what you mean about the mountains, they just appear after seeing them in the distance.

Enjoy the Rockies and Lake Louise, beautiful place. Look forward to reading about your travels.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

What a stressful travel day with all those delays.

I hope your bag turns up sooner rather later.

You've made me think though as we have started to consider a Canada road trip for the future but if your luggage got delayed and you were constantly on the move then the bags would probably never catch up.
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Oh no! Sounds really stressful - I would have been a mess! We got stuck in Boomtown traffic too and missed my mum's nurse appointment as Winchester was gridlocked

Do hope your case arrives sooner rather than later and hope they compensate you for your shopping. Lovely touch from the hotel and, yes, good job you're staying put and not travelling around.

Looking forward to reading all about your trip! xx

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
What a stressful time at the airport - I’d have been a wreck!

It’s good your Air Canada experience was fine - just keeping that in mind for future trips. What a nightmare about your luggage though! Hope it turns up soon.

That dratted haze affected us for the last 10 days of our trip. Not as much as it affected the people who live near to those fires though, so I shouldn’t complain.

Your hotel sounds lovely, and what a nice touch from the staff to celebrate your anniversary.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Eesh that’s a stressful start !
Hope the case turns up and glad the hotel is good .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Eesh that’s a stressful start !
Hope the case turns up and glad the hotel is good .
Thank you, it was but as I was up to high doh anyway I couldn't get any worse Hotel was lovely and I've just done the claim for the things we had to buy so will wait and see whether that gets a result.