Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Aug 18, 05:38 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Stampeding to Calgary - a bit late 22nd August Glacier Explorers

Up around 7.30, breakfast of toast and juice, plus I made some turkey sandwiches for lunch and bagged it up with some tortilla chips and cookies to take with us. I did a load of washing ready to dry when we got back and we were out of the door by 9.30. Our time slot was 2pm and sat nav was saying we would be there by 12.30 so plenty of time.

As we drove between Banff and Lake Louise we saw the bald eagle again, this is the third time, is it the same eagle? We think so as we are pretty sure it is the same spot. We have never seen it in the evening though so don’t know if that is his breakfast tree and he goes somewhere else later. Sadly we have never got a picture of him ☹

All the roads were quiet, although some turnouts were full. We stopped at both Bow Lake and Crowfoot Glacier, which were busy, to get some photos as it was clearer than when we had come up the other day.

We also stopped for our lunch on the turnout on the big hill looking back down the valley about 15 km from the Discovery centre. Dh had wanted to stop here on our way back from Jasper but it looked like you weren’t allowed to probably for safety reasons. We enjoyed our sandwiches and continued on our way, which was only another 10 minutes. We luckily got a parking space near the centre and headed in. It was about 1.30, so a quick use of the facilities, look round the gift shop and then time to line up.

We were quickly on our first bus with Nicholas from Australia who was a very happy chappy commenting on how they drive on the wrong side of the road in Canada but he was coping as his boss had put big arrows everywhere to remind him! Next we were put on Ice Explorer 531 Otter (or weasel not sure!) and waited for our driver Bruce. His vehicle was running slow and screeching according to the girl who loaded us. Bruce (who was probably late 50’s) informed us that this was his summer weekend job and he came up from Calgary where he normally works with SEN kids. He said if we behaved he would reward us with the positive consequence of bringing us back again! Both him and Nicholas told us lots of facts about the Athabasca Glacier as we drove along. He pointed out features and reasons in the 20 min drive to the bit of the glacier we can get out on.

Wow, it was great, not as cold as I thought it would be. Just a jumper was fine but I had a jacket in my backpack if needed. Dh filled my water bottle with water and took pictures.

I was surprised how slippy it was, apparently because it is melting (when we got back to the centre it was 80f!) As Bruce called us back to the Explorer I asked if he ever let people sit in his seat, only kids he said, shame I said as I was such a fan of Ice Road Truckers and would have loved a photo ;D go on then he said! Yay, dh took some photos
although it doesn't really show how high up on this 6 wheel drive monster you are!

Back on the Explorer for the journey back to the bus, this time we saw the mill well, beautiful but deadly! A deep blue well into the glacier where the meltwater pours down about 30 metres I think he said! We transferred again to another coach for the trip to the Skywalk, this time with local Jasper lad Alex! He was hilarious, the 12 minute ride was just a laugh a second, so many I can’t remember – although he did tell us that he will slow down for the mountain goats who are gorgeous but not for the sheep who he just can’t stand. He also scared a tourist while turning the bus round but hey he did ask them to move and they didn’t!

The Skywalk was busy, dh did his photo thing and I listened to the self guided tour thing.
I also picked up a comment from a tour guide about having seen a sheep and wolf on the mountainside above the skywalk recently. Not sure who won but she said the sheep had a definite advantage over the wolf on that terrain! As you’ve probably guessed by now I didn’t do the glass bit.
It was really busy so dh didn’t either but it was good to have stopped off there. We both really enjoyed it so when I rate it on trip advisor I will say it is worth doing!

Another quick bus trip back to the centre, check on the gift shop, dh offered to buy me a toy ice explorer but at $35 I said no thank you! Dh has been collecting pictures of the Canadian flag whenever he has seen one to make a montage so we went out to get the Discovery centre one. While he was doing that I watched what I am convinced was a golden eagle soaring over the mountain and woods behind the centre. The pics Dh took, even with his big lens, are unclear although it looks to have some white on it so may not be a Golden but could be an Albertan Ferruginous Hawk!

Clear road home, straight through just under 3 hours. We stopped at Boston Pizza again – I had ribs and mash, dh had chicken pesto pasta, both to go. Caught up on notes and started to pack after doing OLCI ☹

Edited at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added photos!
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’m sure we had Alex too, remember him talking about the sheep, he was really funny. Some people where just sat bemused we found him hilarious, talking about the bingo nights in the staff accommodation and how wild it was.

We loved the glacier, quite different but a great experience.

Can’t believe your trips nearly ended, been great to read your report. Safe travels home

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Sounds a fabulous day and can't wait to see the photos! Your trip seems to have flown by. Coffee soon?! Have a safe trip home x

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Glad you finally got there and enjoyed it. Looking forward to your photos of the day.

I couldn’t make up my mind about the skywalk - it was a bit of a strange one for me and just felt like an add on, rather than part of the glacier trip. I know it is a fairly new addition to the area though. Maybe it’s just because I don’t get much enjoyment out of the whole glass bottomed thing.

Have a safe flight home Julia.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Glad you finally got there and enjoyed it. Looking forward to your photos of the day.

I couldn’t make up my mind about the skywalk - it was a bit of a strange one for me and just felt like an add on, rather than part of the glacier trip. I know it is a fairly new addition to the area though. Maybe it’s just because I don’t get much enjoyment out of the whole glass bottomed thing.

I’m sure when I looked before you didn’t have to buy the skywalk but now it seems it’s all included. Dh thinks it’s to make the whole thing seem longer, he was a bit disappointed with his 15 mins on the ice! But I think they have worked out this is the max amount of time without people getting into trouble 😆
Old 23 Aug 18, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
I’m sure we had Alex too, remember him talking about the sheep, he was really funny. Some people where just sat bemused we found him hilarious, talking about the bingo nights in the staff accommodation and how wild it was.

We loved the glacier, quite different but a great experience.

Can’t believe your trips nearly ended, been great to read your report. Safe travels home
Yep sounds the same guy, bunches in his beard and the bingo nights in the ice palace! Thanks for reading, and all your tips 🤗
Old 23 Aug 18, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Sounds a fabulous day and can't wait to see the photos! Your trip seems to have flown by. Coffee soon?! Have a safe trip home x
It has been great, don’t really want to leave😪 not sure of my diary next week and then back to work 😪 but free in the afternoons x
Old 23 Aug 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Thats the guy - he was great.

Glad some of the tips helped, looks like you've had a great time. Been good to read along with all you've been up too.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post

Added some, a few more to do when dh sends them to me!
Old 25 Aug 18, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Great day, sounds fun and glad t was a clear day for you. Not sure about the skywalk thing myself ,
Noooo, packing time? Sad faces.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List