Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 26 Aug 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Canadian Rockies Road Trip July 2018 - Day 14 - Off to Vancouver Island and the Butchart Gardens

We where up and down at breakfast today early as I was conscious we had a ferry to catch across to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. We where catching the ferry from Horseshoe Bay which i had already booked before we left the UK. This was north of Vancouver so it meant we didn't have to tackle the traffic around the city on the way to the southern port. Breakfast was included and was continental and we filled up on cereal, pastries and toast washed down with coffee and juice. The drive would be approximately 50 minutes to the ferry port and we had to be checked in no later then 50 minutes before departure which was 11am. With it being Saturday we presumed it would be busy so set off with plenty of time to spare.

It was an easy drive and the views along the Sea to Sky highway where lovely. We didn't stop in case we hit any traffic problems later on and soon we arrived at Horseshoe Bay and followed the road signs to the ferry port. On arrival there where people directing traffic although I missed the guy with the stop sign which caused him to wave it at me and shout stop. Next he asked what time we where departing and I said 10am to which he said we where too late for me to then realize and show him our paperwork which confirmed it was 11.00. He ushered us into a lane and I'm sure he was shaking his head thinking we where stupid tourists. Soon enough we checked in and paid the fee which was a reasonable £63.00 for the crossing including car and us 3 passengers which I though was a good price. We where directed onto the ferry and parked up before finding some seats in one of the lounges ready to go.

We where soon off and on our way. I had a wander around on deck and was watching some of the boats ferrying hundreds of logs and tree trunks up and down the water as well as seeing the coastline of BC gradually slip further away as we headed across to the island. I forgot to take any photos really but it was a lovely calm crossing with clear, flat seas. It was still a warm day but cooler out on the water and I loved the smell of the sea. I picked up some leaflets and Sam and me headed off to grab some drinks. We all had some coffees or cold drinks and snacks whilst we headed over to Nanaimo. We soon arrived and were asked to return to our cars disembarking the boat at 12.45pm. We where initially going to stop in Nanaimo, mainly because I like the bars so much so was quite keen to try one in the town, but decided to head off to Victoria, stopping for lunch on the way.

The traffic was steady enough and about half way to Victoria we pulled into an A&W and had some of their burgers. I tried a root-beer but must admit wasn't keen, had too much of a medicinal taste for me so will stick to coke next time. The onion rings where delicious though. Back on the road we continued to Victoria stopping at a 'Save on Foods' for some supplies where the staff member let us use a store discount card saving us 7CAD and this also meant our member points we had collected went to a local charity. Soon enough we arrive in Victoria and head to our hotel for the next 3 nights, The Oswego, where we had booked another apartment/condo. I think we had a trainee at check in as he was being shown what to do. He was great and we where soon checked in and parking in their underground garage. We took the lift and unpacked our bags, Sam promptly fell asleep, maybe due to the early morning start, until we where ready to set off to visit the Butchart Gardens.

We manage to get Sam awake and all freshen up before we set off. It was an easy drive of about 30/40 minutes and we chose to visit tonight, as with it being a Saturday, it was open later and also had a fireworks display on just before they closed. It maybe wouldn't of been Sams first choice of a day out but Kirsty and me both felt we couldn't come all this way and not visit these world famous gardens. I remembered to take my credit card with my pre-booked tickets as these where checked on entry and once parked up we headed in. It wasn't too busy to start but we did expect it to get busier later on. There where however lots of people heading in already with blankets and chairs to grab their spots for the fireworks. The gardens where in full bloom with it being the height of summer and we made our way across to the sunken gardens first.

These where lovely and the various displays of flowers with the different colours did look stunning. After we admired the views we headed down into the sunken gardens to walk round the paths as well as climbing and looking our over the various viewpoints. I even think that maybe Sam was quite impressed with them too.

Once we climbed out of the sunken gardens there was a band playing on one of the lawns with plenty of people laid out on the grass enjoying the early evening sun and listening to them play. We spotted a carousel and Sam decided he was too big to go on it so left it to Kirsty and me. All the animals where different and I was quite happy as I managed to bag a ride on the Orca. After we had a spin we met up with Sam walking over to see the Totem poles in the garden as well as the redwood trees and fountains.

We really enjoyed exploring the gardens as well as reading the history of Jenny Butchart and her vision for the quarry which is what the gardens where before she transformed them into what they are today. We continued exploring the Japanese and Italian Gardens before hunger struck and we headed off in search of food before the fireworks show.

We found a cafe/coffee shop and all enjoyed chilli dogs and egg sandwiches before having ice creams for dessert. It was starting to get quite busy now with a people heading in for the fireworks both individuals and tour groups. We had a final look round some of the gardens as well as visiting the sunken gardens again before finding a spot for the fireworks.

The main viewing area was really busy as we had seen people setting up camp a good few hours before. There where other areas also roped off for tour groups and cruise ship trips but we still managed to find a good vantage spot and waited about 15 minutes for the show to start. It was a good show and had a mix of both aerial displays with various static and moving fireworks across the ground. These where good too but the smoke did hamper the view a bit although with the music we enjoyed them. It finished off with some great rockets and more aerial fireworks before the show finished.

As we where near the back we where able to be away before the main crowds and where soon back in the car. There where stewards directing people out of the car park and we where soon on our way and off before the main hoards of people and their vehicles. It was only a 40 minute drive back to the hotel and that was with one wrong turn. We passed the Parliament buildings which looked lovely all lit up as these where just around the corner from our hotel. We where back and tucked up in bed for not long after 11pm, needless to say we where all soon asleep.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Those gardens are so colourful! Just beautiful. Ferry journey looked great!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Those gardens are so colourful! Just beautiful. Ferry journey looked great!
The gardens were definitely worth the trip. I did enjoy the ferry too, just wish I had taken a few more photos.

Neil

Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

Beautiful gardens and fireworks!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by eleele View Post
Beautiful gardens and fireworks!
Definitely go if you get chance and if the fireworks are on it’s worth seeing those too

Neil

Old 26 Aug 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Beautiful gardens. And I’m with you on the root beer - definitely tastes of germolene!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow, Butchart Gardens were on our original road trip plan and will be staying there after seeing your photos🤗. A&W onion rings are amazing aren’t they!
Old 27 Aug 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
The ferry to Vancouver Island is a bargain!

Butchart Gardens looks great. When we return, we’ll definitely make sure that Vancouver Island is on the itinerary.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Beautiful gardens. And I’m with you on the root beer - definitely tastes of germolene!
Definitely, I won’t be drinking it again!

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Wow, Butchart Gardens were on our original road trip plan and will be staying there after seeing your photos🤗. A&W onion rings are amazing aren’t they!
I’d go back there just for the onion rings, they’re amazing.

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
The ferry to Vancouver Island is a bargain!

Butchart Gardens looks great. When we return, we’ll definitely make sure that Vancouver Island is on the itinerary.
We loved Victoria and would love to explore the island more, it’s down for a repeat visit for us.

Neil