Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Sep 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Canadian Rockies Road Trip July 2018 - Day 16 - Victoria - Parliament, goats & miniature world

After a full on day round and about Victoria today we had a lie in before getting ourselves up and ready for our second day in the city. Breakfast was sorted in the room and we stopped off in the lobby for a coffee which we received for free as we had forfeited our maid service for two days so we got some hotel credits thrown in as a thank you. On our way to the Parliament buildings we stopped by an open space with a fountain in the middle and all the Canadian Province flags surrounding it so stopped to finish our drinks and enjoy the early morning sun.

It was a lovely warm morning and there was a nice breeze to keep us cool off the harbour. One thing which was strange which we did witness today was a guy wandering around the fountain. As we sat he was observing the crowd and seemed to be seeing who was about and watching their movements. Once he had settled himself and there was no-one at the monument he stopped there on his own and then got out a flag held this up for the person with him to take a quick photo before he promptly put this back away in his backpack and left. I tried to google the flag but couldn't find a definitive reason for its meaning but it did all seem rather odd. After we had finished our drinks and watched the strange couple wonder off we walked off to the Parliament to take up one of the tours.

It was busier here today but we where soon inside and through the security checks. We picked up one of the free guides to do the self guided tour as there would be a short wait for the guided tour and set off to explore. The tour was easy to follow and gave us lots of information on the role of the Legislative buildings and what they do in relation to Canadian politics. There was also information on the role of the Queen too. We had chance to wander round and see various areas and where Parliament sits too.

One thing that we did see was lots of pictures from many years ago to the present day of the Parliament and its members. You could see how times had changes and how there had been a significant increase in women in the various roles as well as people from different cultures and countries. It was interesting to learn about and didn't overload you with information. One thing we did notice and smile about was that some of the guys in the 70s photos bore a striking resemblance to Ron Burgundy from Anchorman. We made a brief stop in the gift shop before heading out into the sun outside.

We decided next to walk over to Beacon Hill park which was only about a 15 minute walk away and set off in the now very warm sun. We where soon at the park and found ourselves a place in the shade to cool down before we set off to explore.

There where a lot of families in the park today but it was still relatively quiet and we saw from the guide there was a childrens farm near by so we set off to head inside. It was entry by donation and we happily paid the suggested amount and headed inside. It was like a small farm with various animals, first ones being some very lazy pigs laid out on their own cushions in the midday sun. After exploring the other pens we then went into the petting area which was full of goats who had just had their lunch. This seemed to make most of them very frisky and they spent most of the time we where in their fighting and butting heads. We did happen to find some of the smaller ones chilling in the shade so went across to spend some time brushing them.

We stopped by the rabbits and guinea pigs on the way out before having a look in the aviary as we left. After we had left we headed back out of the park and across to the hot-dog place we found yesterday for more dogs and milkshakes before heading off for the afternoon again. I had a chilli dog this time which was delicious and, like all the food here, a really good price.

After lunch there was a place nearby called Miniature World which had come up a few times on things to do in Victoria. We didn't know what it would be like or how long it would take to go round but we thought it looked a bit different and quirky so as it was nearby headed across. Once we had spoken with the girl on reception for a bit, we paid the fee and went in. She told us it would take about 45 minutes to go round and we set off. This place was a real surprise. It was full of different miniature models of various stages in history, some factual some fantasy and others mythical. It was really good and in the end we where inside for over an hour and a half. The detail on some of these displays was fantastic and a real labour of love. Some had interactive elements too and we all found something different in each display we saw.

In a world where technology and computers seem to be the drive for a lot of attractions this had a real charm to it and we where really glad we took the time to go in.

Once back outside we happen to stumble on the chocolate shop again so head in for some treats again to enjoy as we continue to walk around Victoria. Sam had decided to by his Marvel Vans so we stopped by to pick them up and he was really happy with his purchase. I picked up some Starbucks mugs and went for the new style ' Been There' as they no longer had the ' You are here' Collection in Vancouver Island. We decided to walk back to the hotel via the harbour so we could watch the sea planes take off from the harbourside airport.

I was that busy taking photographs I actually got separated from Kirsty and Sam as I had wandered off in my own world but we eventually found each other again, needless to say I kept an eye on them ( or them on me ) next time photos where being taken. The harbour in Victoria was a lovely place and we enjoyed walking round here before stopping off for a drink and rest in the sun before walking back to our hotel.

Back at the room I made us some pasta for dinner and we did some packing ready for us leaving tomorrow. We had our tickets which we booked yesterday for the IMAX tonight for Avengers Infinity War. I had already seen this but the chance to see it on IMAX was too good an opportunity for Sam and me to miss so we decided for a repeat viewing. It was great to see this again and IMAX was definitely an experience. We all said we saw new things on our repeat viewing and we all loved the sound and picture quality of seeing this on IMAX.

By the time we left it was dark now but it was only a short walk back alongside the harbour to our hotel. We passed the Parliament buildings which where all lit up and looked beautiful, it reminded me a little bit of Epcot where they light up the countries of World Showcase.

We where soon back at the hotel and ready for bed. We had really enjoyed our time in Victoria and would love to explore more of this area and the greater Vancouver Island on a repeat visit. We really had only seen a small part of what this fantastic island had to offer.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
A lovely day today. You did plenty but it still sounded quite chilled. How cute is that goat?

The parliament building looks lovely all lit up at night.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
A lovely day today. You did plenty but it still sounded quite chilled. How cute is that goat?

The parliament building looks lovely all lit up at night.
Victoria is a lovely place, Kirsty said she would like to live there she loved it that much.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List