Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 7 Dec 19, 02:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I shop Aldi only use any other supermarket for about 3 things
Low salt Bisto
Low salt sugar tomatoe ketchup
My shampoo
Meat pork lamb we buy from a local organic source our turkey will also come from them
Nothing we've had I'd complain about except there bio degradable waste food caddy bags they drive me nuts trying to open them
Even the dogs are Aldi fedand do great on it
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
It has been interesting reading the responses, thank you. I will have to pluck up the courage to venture into our town centre to try the local butchers. I will continue to buy other stuff from Aldi because the savings are good.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Top Aldi tip never ever buy own brand potatoe waffles. Thankfully my beige food buying days are over the kids eat much healthier and less fussy now. They absolutely stink and taste foul.
Old 7 Dec 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Not been in Aldi for 35 years, my parents gave it a go when we were children. They soon switched back, everything was disgusting, maybe it has improved but I have not given it another chance.

I am wondering how they can take flavour out of meat though?
So ... do you feel the other food retailers haven’t changed in thirty five years (or indeed your tastes and preferences) ?

I bought rib eye recently from Tesco’s rather than my usual Aldi ... it was awful .
I tend to home cook meat properly , casseroles, slow cooked chillis , lamb cooked properly not pink etc and consistently find Aldi excellent. It’s actually our nearest supermarket and I rarely bother going elsewhere and when I do it’s for thing they don’t do like pickled herring (MILs weakness) , potato farls , nothing desperately essential .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Not been in Aldi for 35 years, my parents gave it a go when we were children. They soon switched back, everything was disgusting, maybe it has improved but I have not given it another chance.

I am wondering how they can take flavour out of meat though?
Little puzzled over this as Aldi opened in the UK in 1990. Perhaps your first experience was overseas?

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I wonder if it was Netto that you mean Claudette...my DS used to hide if we went in ... didn’t want his friends to know we shopped there...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

How funny if you’ve been avoiding “the wrong store” for decades
Maybe you should give it a try lol
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

A large percentage of chicken in this country is a broiler , grown fast and with a meaty breast for uk customer requirements this being tasteless and not like the slow grown chickens of old .
A chicken could have a green tinge due as previously said to a gall bladder being left in .
Many supermarkets source their meat from exactly the same factory and the labels are changed on the production line .
I have in the past had first hand experience of this working in a factory which processed white meat for Tesco, Iceland , McDonald’s , Lidl and Sainsbury’s the line was stopped and the packaging and labels changed but it was the same meat .

Edited at 10:03 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
evaporated milk and corned beef? Is this a thread from the 70’s 😀😀😀
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Aldi Jaffa cakes are awful
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List