Notices

Old 30 Dec 17, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

O Canada! First family trip across the Atlantic - June 2018

O Canada! First family trip across the Atlantic - June 2018

Welcome to my second trip report and our first as a family of 3!

As much as I would love it to be, it’s not a WDW trip, so I wasn't sure whether to bother writing this at all. It’ll be a much more relaxed, go with the flow trip than my last report and will most likely be a lot duller than the super trips documented on the DIBB! However I love looking back on our last report (anyone else read their own every now and then or just me?!), so decided I’d crack on and document our first overseas family holiday .

I’m Emily and my husband is Gary. We got married in March 2016 and spent our honeymoon in NYC, Washington DC and Orlando. It was the trip of our dreams. Shameless plug for our report here

We brought home an extra special souvenir…
Libby (Elizabeth)
She arrived on Boxing Day 2016 and has just turned 1. Fastest year EVER!

Boxing Day 2016

Boxing Day 2017, her 1st Birthday

And another from Christmas Day where she isn't stuffing her face with cake!

A recent photo of the 3 of us. Libby isn't currently a fan of mummy paparazzi so getting pictures of her looking at the camera, staying still AND smiling all at once is near impossible.

We’re loving life as a family of 3 (those first 6 weeks though….jeezo , nothing can prepare you!).
She'll be 18 months old when we go and is an absolute whirlwind. She doesn't stay still for a minute, always on the move, so we’re really looking forward to our 7 hour flight . She isn't walking yet but should be by the time we go. She's finding her voice quickly too, we've just mastered 'up' when she wants up or out of a seat, so that should be fun when the seatbelt sign is on!

We would love to be taking her to Orlando ASAP, but we have family in Canada and a visit to them was always first on the list. We haven't been since 2010 (where does time go?!).

Us in Canada in 2010. Much younger & thinner

We booked flights over a year in advance with Air Transat, who fly direct from Glasgow to Toronto. Not the best reviews but if they get us there in one piece and reasonably on time, then I’m not too bothered. We’ve only ever flown economy anyway so we're used to cattle class.

We fly out on 28th May, landing at 15:20 local time and come home on the 14th June, landing in Glasgow on the Friday morning. We booked to go for a bit longer than 2 weeks as we‘d hoped to include a possible road trip to Montreal.

Although she doesn't need one and will have to sit on one of our laps for take off and landing anyway, we’ve booked Libby a seat. This means we’ll get a row of 3 to ourselves, minimising our wriggly girls disruption to others annnnnd it also gives her full luggage allowance . I always pay for extra baggage on the way home anyway so this pre-empts that.

We’re staying at Gary’s Aunt & Uncle’s house in Hamilton, Ontario. We’ve been before so we know what we’re going to and as a bonus don't need to pay a penny for accommodation (although we will give her $ for food etc while we’re there, we aren't total freeloaders!).

Montreal!

As mentioned above, we thought about adding a road trip to Montreal on. We had a short road trip down south (well, down south to the north of England) in October and Libby was fine in the car for 3/4 hours (with a stop obviously), so we decided to book it. Its about a 6/7 hour drive, we’ll just take our time.

Hotels concern us a little because the 3 of us don't sleep well at all in the same room. Libby tends to stir about 6am-ish and if she knows we’re there, she’s up and ready to play . She can now say Hiya, Mama and Dada so theres no ignoring her! If she’s left to play in her cot in her room, with her bunny/ewan the sheeps (yep, we have 2. Wonderful things!), then mummy and daddy get a lie in. We also didn't want to have to go to bed at 7pm, when she goes down. So we definitely needed 2 rooms.
We’ve booked an apartment on Air Bnb, which scares me a little but its one with brilliant reviews and seems reasonable.

When I was looking at hotels/apartments, I realised the dates we’re going sort of clash with the Montreal grand prix. We’re going 5-8th June, the grand prix weekend starts on the 8th. When I mentioned it to Gary, I kind of thought he’d want to go, but he isn't too bothered. We’ll definitely soak up the atmosphere in the build up week though!

I cannot wait to try all the food Montreal has to offer! Our plans for January include watching Montreal foodie vlogs and making a list of places to visit (while I sit eating rabbit food as I try to lose a couple of stone before we go). Libby has a fairly good appetite too and we haven't really found anything she doesn't like so far, so no doubt she'll get in on the food action.

We’ll also have at least one day trip, maybe 2 in to Toronto. It’s a fantastic city and we’re excited to explore the more child orientated parts this time. The Toronto Zoo looks fab too.

Canada’s Wonderland is also an option and we’ll take Libby to Niagra Falls for a day just because it has to be done (even though I think it’s not a very nice place, got to be done!).

What to expect from our trip

Toddler drama - Despite her butter wouldn't melt looks, Libby is a bit of a wild child. No idea where she gets her diva tendencies from…
We're kind of dreading the 7 hour flights. We’re planning on taking a kindle fire full of apps/videos etc, a buckle toy and as many other toys as my hand luggage will carry for the plane. I’ve also recently learned the art of snack bribery, an essential parenting skill I’d say. Reading reports on here about flights with young kids sort of helps reassure me, I just don't know if I trust my own child to be as well behaved!

Shopping - If you've read my honeymoon trip report you’ll know that I’m a serious shopper. A big part of my holiday fun is shopping, I like to shop lots. And lots. There will definitely be a few trips to the local mall (Limeridge) and at least one but probably two cross border trips to the outlets in the US. I’d like a new Kate Spade & will most likely buy lots of clothes for Libby, I’m addicted to buying her things!
We’ll also have a few trips to Walmart. Gary’s big cousin Damian thinks its hilarious that I love it in there, he doesn't get it at all!

FOOD! - As above, Montreal. Enough said

Poutine, smoked meats, bagels, coffee….cannot wait!

Also Quiznos, this was a firm fave on our last trip (although that was a long time ago, hopefully it’s still as good). And lots and lots of Tim Hortons. Not quite as exciting as we now have our own one in Glasgow (and we’re getting 3 more!), but expect lots of coffee and donut stops. Its what Canadians do, so when in Rome right?!

I’m adding this on early because its the Christmas holidays and I’m on a roll with being productive. I plan to add an update at the end of each month, to keep us on track with planning and make me focus on getting organised at least once a month!

Well done if you’ve reached the end, thanks for reading!

Edited at 11:27 PM.
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 05:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We are Canadian fans - have been for the last five years! I am off to Montreal in February and can't wait - it is an amazing city!

Air Transat is fine - just take some extra snacks as the food offerings are somewhat slim

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Aw Emily you will be fine on the plane. Kindle, snacks and I highly recommend books and stickers too! Having her own seat is a lifesaver you will be super glad of it. Also take a nice thick blanket. We folded Charlotte's over and over and it was a comfy little cushion for her to sit on and bumped her up so she could see the kindle on the tray table/ do stickers and colouring on it. It also made her a lovely little nest when she slept.
I've only ever been to Vancouver but loved it. How brilliant to have relatives so you can stay without paying for accommodation!
Bet now Christmas has passed it feels like your trip is just around the corner!
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We are Canadian fans - have been for the last five years! I am off to Montreal in February and can't wait - it is an amazing city!

Air Transat is fine - just take some extra snacks as the food offerings are somewhat slim
Oooh exciting! Montreal looks amazing in everything I've looked at, so excited we're fitting in a trip there. Have a great time in February, hope its not too chilly xx

Originally Posted by vics18 View Post
Aw Emily you will be fine on the plane. Kindle, snacks and I highly recommend books and stickers too! Having her own seat is a lifesaver you will be super glad of it. Also take a nice thick blanket. We folded Charlotte's over and over and it was a comfy little cushion for her to sit on and bumped her up so she could see the kindle on the tray table/ do stickers and colouring on it. It also made her a lovely little nest when she slept.
I've only ever been to Vancouver but loved it. How brilliant to have relatives so you can stay without paying for accommodation!
Bet now Christmas has passed it feels like your trip is just around the corner!
I actually got a shock when I checked Vicky, thought we had 6/7 months but its less than 5 now! Thanks for the tips. Definitely going to take a mountain of snacks, Libby loves to munch its the one thing that will always calm her down (don't know where she gets it from ) xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

We too are Canadian fans and love both Toronto and Montreal. Mel is our Dibb expert on Montreal. I hope you all have a wonderful time and look forward to your trippie.

Mel I hope the weather gets a bit warmer for you ! Really really cold at the moment! Take your thermals... in fact two sets
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
This sounds like it will be a fabulous trip. Libby is so cute, she looks adorable I'm sure there won't be any tantrums at all from her...not sure about the grown ups though!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JackyH
Imagineer

JackyH's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Looking forward to reading this. I read your other trip report and really enjoyed it. Libby is a gorgeous girl and I’m sure she will be fine on the plane (fingers crossed! )
Old 8 Jan 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
We too are Canadian fans and love both Toronto and Montreal. Mel is our Dibb expert on Montreal. I hope you all have a wonderful time and look forward to your trippie.

Mel I hope the weather gets a bit warmer for you ! Really really cold at the moment! Take your thermals... in fact two sets
Thank you! I'm definitely going to go through Mel's reports to pick up some tips xx

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
This sounds like it will be a fabulous trip. Libby is so cute, she looks adorable I'm sure there won't be any tantrums at all from her...not sure about the grown ups though!
Thank you! xx

Originally Posted by JackyH View Post
Looking forward to reading this. I read your other trip report and really enjoyed it. Libby is a gorgeous girl and I’m sure she will be fine on the plane (fingers crossed! )
Aw thank you . I'm crossing everything and starting to gather bits and bobs I think might occupy her! xx
Old 17 Jan 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

More Canada fans here!

We went to Montreal, Blue Mountain and Toronto in 2017, and Toronto, Niagara and Ottawa in 2016.

Montreal is brilliant. Definitely try Schwartz's on your foodie tour - the most famous place in the city I'm told! There are Outlets in Canada too, you don't need to cross over to the US necessarily. We went to one outside Niagara.

My trippies are in my sig (the 2 Amazing Race ones) which might be of some use!
Old 19 Jan 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Libby is just the cutest! She is at my favourite age of kids, still a baby but developing such a personality of their own.
Sounds like you will all have a great holiday.
As a fellow shopaholic I'm looking forward to reading all about it

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List