Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 12 Aug 18, 03:31 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Stampeding to Calgary - a bit late! 11th August 7000 ft before breakfast!

Still a bit on UK time so when we woke up about 4 we decided to head up to Lake Louise. Out before 5, suitcase had arrived about an hour earlier but will pick it up on return.

Arrived in LL just after 6 and got front row space in car park. Walked down to Lake, a few people around, some on canoes. Beautiful views although as seems to be the theme for this holiday it was very hazy. people were all waiting for the sun to come round the mountain but with the haze it wasn't really going to happen that well! We could see the glaciers though and read the info boards where I discovered that Lake Louise is the new (well from Victorian times – named after one of Victoria’s daughters) for Emerald Lake.

After taking some photos we decided to head up to Lake Agnes. I had read a lot about the tea room and liked the idea! Wow, it is a stiff walk for softies like us but the views were worth it. I think it took us around an hour and 30 mins. We had lemonade and scones (biscuits) with jam for our breakfast which was very welcome. All the bulk items are helicoptered up and the staff bring up the daily stuff on foot each day as well as take the rubbish down! There was a sign asking us to take our rubbish down with us as they can’t burn it at the moment due to the fire ban.

We debated which way to go back and did a little detour down a stony scree path which led us right under the Big Bee Hive

This led back to Mirror Lake and then back down the way we had come up. Strangely enough, although we weren’t out of breath as we were going up, it was still quite hard going! Most people up and down said hi or morning, some asked how much further it was, we tried to answer but to tell the truth we hadn’t really take too much note!

We arrived back at LL to find it heaving with tourists, mostly groups of Japanese people! We decided not to head into the village but head south again back towards Banff and Canmore. The roads were all a lot busier and all the carparks were showing full as I had heard they would be! This stopped us visiting Moraine Lake but we still have plenty of time and perhaps week days are quieter. We drove back along the Bow River Parkway and noted where the Johnstone Canyon parking lot is as well, that will need to be another early morning I think as people were parked on the road for a long way both before and after the entrance.

DH was starting to feel the early start and hike by now so we just kept going back to the hotel. I collected my case and heated pizza for lunch and we both ended up dozing off!

When we woke up, it had very much clouded over, hard to see the mountains at all, that sort of ghostly view when you are not sure if they are real or just cloud formations! We heard a few rumbles of thunder and then it brightened again so we decided to take a walk into Canmore along a boardwalk I had read about. We weren’t sure of the start on the way in so we just walked along the road. Canmore is really pretty and has lots of boutique type shops and delis as well as restaurants, cafes and bars. It is a lot smaller than Banff and I thought it was really cute. We stopped at a deli to get some ham for sandwiches and also picked up some potatoes to bake with the steak for tea. By this point it was a very eerie dark light with some thunder and lightning so we headed back. We found the boardwalk this time and although the walk in wasn’t unpleasant this was a lot better. It is a real boardwalk through a nature reserve type of place beside streams and through pine trees. We came out just a hundred yards or so from our hotel and got in before the rain got going. Due to the rain I ended up doing the steak on the cooker – it was huge, and the place does smell a bit steaky now! Sorry forgot to photo it when it was cooked! Anyway that with baked potatoes, grilled tomatoes and salad followed by mango ice cream and strawberries made a very nice meal.

We ended the evening by looking through my list of “to do” places and roughly planning how to go about them. Tomorrow looks rainy, but the long range forecast is still good and not too hot, therefore we may well just have a quiet day in case the weekend is busy. We are definitely think our decision to stay in one place was the right one for us, especially with the luggage issue, however we may not have too many photos at this rate – suppose it is just another reason to come back! We need to check if we can get to the Icefields Parkway as the 93 has been closed with the fires, so will investigate that on Monday.
Old 12 Aug 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

So glad your suitcase turned up!

I love the idea of the tea rooms by Lake Agnes, just what you want to see after a hike up a mountain! (Noted for future reference!)

You said that the car parks were full, is that because the car parks are small or just sheer volume of people?

Mmmmmm, that steak!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

We found Moraine Lake closed by 6:45am but then struck lucky as we left Lake Louise and where let in about 1:30, I think it’s either a really early start or pot luck unfortunately. We did Johnston Canyon back from both about 5pm and the car park was quieter and no issue finding a spot.

We did the hike. I walk and run a bit and found it a bit of a trek, don’t know because of the air thinness going up and maybe as I’d worn the wrong shoes! Day after had some calf burn but think that was due to the horse riding too.

Hope you get up to the glacier that was brilliant.

Great report, keep enjoying it.

Edited at 09:08 AM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by eleele View Post

I love the idea of the tea rooms by Lake Agnes, just what you want to see after a hike up a mountain! (Noted for future reference!)

You said that the car parks were full, is that because the car parks are small or just sheer volume of people?

Mmmmmm, that steak!
Sometimes both. Lake Louise had a large car park but it gets really busy, it was filing up when we got there at 7am and was totally full later, although there is an overflow out of town with shuttles in.

Moraine Lake is smaller and accessed down an 11km road. Once it’s full you can’t access the road and they only let people down as space becomes available. Makes it not as busy or crowded when you’re there though which is a bonus.

Worth the early starts though both are stunning.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

So glad your suitcase has arrived! I just love the tea room - the people who work there must have enormous leg muscles if they have to walk up every day

The views are stunning and I'm loving reading your adventures.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
So glad your case has turned up - that must be a relief!

Well done on getting a space at Lake Louise. As it was near the end of our holiday, we didn’t get there until 8:30 am and had to park in the overflow car park and catch the shuttle in. That worked fine though if anybody else has to do that. Good for you for hiking to the tea house too! We never made that. I’m rubbish at hiking, particularly steep trails. We only ended up doing the lake shore trail there.

We went by Johnstone Canyon on the way to Lake Louise and it was empty just before 8am, so it’s not a very, very early start that’s needed. It was really busy when we arrived at about 2pm one day, but we did manage to get a space by driving round the car park a couple of times. By the time we left at about 4pm, it had thinned out a bit, so earlyish morning or late afternoon will be fine to visit.

It sounds like those wildfires are getting worse if they’ve shut the road. Really hope it gets under control soon.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Yay to the suitcase arriving. More fab pics, well done on the hike to breakfast. Sounds like it gets very busy in places there. Love the afternoon and you did well dodging the rain. Mighty steak for dinner there !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by eleele View Post

Mmmmmm, that steak!
Lake Louise car park seemed very big but Moraine Lake is quite small plus I think they must keep some spaces free for the guests of the hotel.

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
So glad your case has turned up - that must be a relief!

Well done on getting a space at Lake Louise. As it was near the end of our holiday, we didn’t get there until 8:30 am and had to park in the overflow car park and catch the shuttle in. That worked fine though if anybody else has to do that. Good for you for hiking to the tea house too! We never made that. I’m rubbish at hiking, particularly steep trails. We only ended up doing the lake shore trail there.

We went by Johnstone Canyon on the way to Lake Louise and it was empty just before 8am, so it’s not a very, very early start that’s needed. It was really busy when we arrived at about 2pm one day, but we did manage to get a space by driving round the car park a couple of times. By the time we left at about 4pm, it had thinned out a bit, so earlyish morning or late afternoon will be fine to visit.

It sounds like those wildfires are getting worse if they’ve shut the road. Really hope it gets under control soon.
The lady had checkout was saying that it is the weather system bringing not only the BC smoke but Washington State and California in the US!

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Yay to the suitcase arriving. More fab pics, well done on the hike to breakfast. Sounds like it gets very busy in places there. Love the afternoon and you did well dodging the rain. Mighty steak for dinner there !
That steak fed both of us, but I was unsure how long to cook it for, it was almost as big as a roast joint!