Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Aug 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Vancouver and the Rockies July/August 2018 - Day 6 – Olympic Park, Waterfalls, Pemberton and relax!

Index is here.

Day 6 - Saturday 28th July 2018 – Olympic Park, Waterfalls, Pemberton and relaxation

I had an awful night’s sleep for some reason, seeing most hours from midnight onwards. I eventually woke up properly at 7:45 am but lazed in bed for the best part of an hour - this did include a lengthy phone call with Katie though.

I eventually got moving and ready for the day. I put another half load of washing in - might as well make use of the facilities while we can, then had breakfast of cereal, toast and orange juice on the balcony. I forgot to take photos but you know what that all looks like.

We left the room at 10 am and headed for the Olympic Park.

We drove up Callaghan Road at a fairly slow pace, in the hope of seeing some bears. Apparently this road is where the wildlife tours take you. No such luck for us though, although we were probably a bit late - it was 10:15 am and the temperature on the car was already showing as 27 degrees.

As we neared the end of the road, there was a little turning to the left signposted Alexander Falls. We parked the car, walked the few steps to the viewing area, then discovered this lovely sight.

We got back in the car and drove a short distance on until we reached the Olympic park entrance booth, where we paid our $10 entry fee. This does give you a $5 discount should you wish to take part in any of the activities. We drove on until we came to the ski jump area, then got out to take some photos. We walked up the hill towards the bottom of the jumps, but for those much fitter than us, you can actually walk up to the top of them. Far too many steps for me though - I’m not sure my calf muscles could take it.

We wandered back to the car, then drove up to the activity area. We had considered doing the biathlon shooting, but as there were people there training for it, we were intent watching them. It was also interesting reading about the rules to the sport.

Nearly every other view there could only be seen by hiking or cycling, so we headed back towards the exit and decided to head North of Whistler to Pemberton area. We’d read about a couple of places we thought were worth a visit.

The journey out that way was very scenic. We passed a beautiful coloured lake, called Green Lake. I wonder where it gets its name from?

We carried on a bit further until we reached the signpost for Nairn Falls. I’d stupidly forgotten to put my trainers in the car, so wasn’t really wearing the best footwear for a 1.5km walk along a narrow ‘path’ full of tree roots, rocks and a steep hill towards the water. Luckily my flip flops were a bit more substantial and at least had some grips on the bottom, but it wasn’t ideal. We persevered though, but the final bit was a struggle, clambering up some rocks in the early afternoon heat - at least there was a handrail to hold on to, which helped me.

I have to say that I wasn’t sure the view of the falls was worth the effort. We’d seen a nicer view earlier this morning from the edge of a car park. I’m sure it would have been fine though if I’d worn my trainers. Lesson learnt - they’ll be staying in the car from now on.

We walked back and got in the car, where it was now showing an outside temperature of 39 degrees - this did drop a couple of degrees when we got moving. We’d drunk all of our water on our walk so decided to head into Pemberton for a drink and a late lunch as it was now 2pm.

We’d done absolutely no research on Pemberton itself, as we didn't know for definite that we'd be visiting, so ended up at the first place we saw, which was a McDonalds. We each ordered a quarter pounder meal with a Diet Coke - the cheapest meal of the holiday at around $9 each. We were having a cheap day today!

Once we’d eaten, we headed back south towards One Mile Lake. There were lots of people there enjoying the sunshine and the water. We didn’t stay for very long, but drove back towards Whistler, arriving back at about 4pm.

We called at the supermarket to pick up something for dinner. We’d decided to eat in tonight as we needed to pack, and do a bit of rearranging of our clothes and packing cubes for the coming days. We picked up a chicken salad and a small baguette which came to about $11. Told you we were being frugal today - our total spends for the day were just $40. It makes up for yesterday’s expensive day!

I popped into Legends to get my room key reset. I couldn’t get in the room last night with it, as I’d had it in the same handbag as my phone. They gave me two new keys, which by the time I got back to the room, I’d managed to deactivate both of those too. We did manage to get some good news while at Reception though - after seeing the sign on the road yesterday that indicated the Northbound road wouldn’t be closed until lunchtime tomorrow, we managed to get this confirmed by the hotel staff, so no 6am start tomorrow after all. Hooray!

We sat on the balcony for a while with a cold drink - well I managed about 5 minutes as it was just too hot. The balcony is in full sun in the afternoon, so I’d have to wait until this evening to enjoy it fully. Even Martin, the sun worshipper, only managed about 10 minutes more than me before coming in to enjoy the air conditioning.

We watched a film on the tv, then grabbed the cases and packing cubes and repacked what we needed to. We kept out an outfit for traveling tomorrow, plus packed two outfits in our hand luggage bag along with enough toiletries for the next couple of days. Everything else went in the cases. With only having a 1 night stay in Kamloops, we wanted to have everything we needed in one small bag, so we wouldn’t have to unpack the cases again until Jasper on Monday night.

I had a bath and painted my nails and by 7:30 pm I was relaxing with a simple meal of salad and bread followed by a glass of wine. Bliss. We sat out on the balcony at about 8pm, enjoying the warmth, once we weren’t in direct sun any more.

Sometimes the simple pleasures can be so enjoyable.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Apart from Nairn falls - which was also a hot day when we went so felt a right trek (and them rocks at the end!) you’ve been to some places today we didn’t get chance to visit.

Initially I didn’t know if we’d fill our time in Whistler so much but we where really surprised and would love to head back summer or winter. There was so much to do and lots we just didn’t have time for.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I’m really enjoying your trippie, thank you. We are planning something very similar in 2020. It’s really helping me decide what to do.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I love the view from your balcony!

Bialthon is a big sport here in France (they are very good at it!) so it would be great to see the athletes training!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 18, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
2 waterfalls in 1 day! All the views look lovely to me. It must have been great to sit on the balcony with your wine and just relax.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List