Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 26 Aug 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Canadian Rockies Road Trip July 2018 - Day 15 - Exploring Victoria and sunset whale-watching trip.

As we'd had a later night yesterday we had a lie in this morning before having breakfast in our room. We then got ourselves ready to explore Victoria today, we had debated when booking Vancouver Island about exploring further afield but it seemed that a lot of places we wanted to head to where a good drive away so chose instead to focus the next couple of days to Victoria and then leave the greater Vancouver Island for another trip. The car would be staying put today and we would instead be using our feet to explore as it did seem a compact city centre. The first stop of the day for us where the Parliament buildings which where a short 10 minute walk from where we where staying.

These building occupied a great location overlooking the harbour of Victoria with the historic Empress hotel also doing the same and just across the road.

We had planned to head inside tomorrow to either do the free guided tour or self guided walking tour so took some pictures and wandered the gardens outside before heading across the road to our next stop Thunderbird Park.

This park had an impressive collection of Totem poles with lots of explanations on them and the various carvings, giving information on what they meant to the First Nations people. It was a great place to visit and explore.

I even found one carving that looked the spitting image of me.

Right next door to Thunderbird park is the Royal BC museum. I had read up on this when I had been researching things to do in Victoria and it was rated really highly as well as lots of people saying it really is a brilliant museum and worth a visit. They also had an IMAX and Sam had seen that they played movies here so we decided we would visit the museum as well as see one of the IMAX movies one night. We headed in and purchased our tickets for the IMAX movie for the next night and museum tickets for today. Our first stop was a special display they had on about Egypt.

This was a fantastic display with lots of different Egyptian artifacts and displays. Kirsty and me had been lucky to visit Egypt having done a Nile cruise many years ago and this brought back many memories for us. Sam loved exploring this too. We next headed into their excellent Natural History display with a brilliant forest exhibit which really felt like you where outdoors and face to face with some of the local wildlife of the area both current and extinct.

There where streets and displays which explained a lot about Canadian history and culture before we headed into what was the stand out area for me dedicated to the First Nations People. There where various ways you could learn about their history and culture. Places you could learn their language and how they are trying to keep this alive. There where numerous carvings and lots of information about how their history and culture is now being preserved and celebrated, passing this through generations. It really was fascinating.

We spent a good while in the museum and once outside headed to find some food. We found a hot dog place called Dog Gone It where we picked up some freshly made dogs with various toppings. These where delicious and certainly filled a spot. Not long outside there we then stumbled into a chocolate shop and once we saw the display couldn't resist treating ourselves to dessert from here. The caramel and chocolate covered Nanaimo bar was amazing.

We headed over to Chinatown now as we had read it was the oldest Chinatown in Canada. One place we wanted to visit here was Fan Tan Alley which holds the record for the narrowest street in Canada so was somewhere we definitely wanted to see. It was a short walk and soon we saw the signs that we where in Chinatown.

I loved the dragons which where on the lampposts here. Once in Chinatown we soon found the sign for Fan Tan Alley and turned to find a very narrow street, just about one person wide.

The beginning of the street was really narrow but this did eventually open out a bit when the shop fronts started. It still wasn't wide though and was filled with lots of different and quirky shops.

Sam spent some time in a record shop as he has a thing for vinyl (he's recently got all my old ones down out of the loft ) although did not buy anything as we felt could be awkward to get home. We also had a good look around an umbrella shop where I was seriously tempted to buy a walking cane, I don't know why, but it was impressive especially as it contained mini flasks as well. We loved exploring round here and on our way back to the harbour area found lots of other independent stores to look in too. Sam had found some Marvel Vans he liked and was thinking about buying them as they where working out cheaper than home. He left it although we did end up going back the next day to pick them up. On the way back to the hotel we where going to pick up an ice-cream but the place we liked the look off had a massive queue so I picked up another Beavertail instead (peanut butter and chocolate) Kirsty and Sam shared a large drink and had some bites of the Beavertail too. Back at the hotel I made us some loaded nachos for dinner before we got ready for our whale watching trip.

We had booked the sunset tour and walked the 15 or so minutes down to Fishermans wharf to check in for the trip. Reading about this before hand they advised dressing warm so we brought some coats and warmer clothes although once we arrived found that hats, gloves, warm thermal clothes where all supplied which was great. Whilst we waited for the tour to start we explored Fishermans Wharf.

It was a great area to explore. Lots of cafes and street food places where you could buy lots of different things to eat, then find a table outside on the waterfront to enjoy your food. We loved it and it was just a shame we didn't get time to come back. There where also lots of houseboats where local people lived and you could walk round the area as long as you stayed off their boats. There where also these great little boats which ferried people around the waterfront of Victoria, I thought these looked great although we never got chance to try them here.

We where called over to our tour and met up with our driver Pete and guide Sierra who would be telling us about the whales and wildlife of the area. We suited up and it was really warm although Pete did advise we would need them as soon as we left the harbour so just had a few minutes of being too warm before the benefit of them kicked in. We headed to the boat and had an introductory and safety talk. Pete was speaking when one the group walked off and onto a houseboat, he politely but firmly asked them to come back as it was someones home but I don't think they spoke English as they ignored him. Next thing they where peering in the windows at a couple eating their evening meal causing him to shout at them loudly to get off as it was private property at which one of their group dragged them back.

I will apologise in advance as my pictures of the whales aren't that good, I really missed my camera and a good zoom but the experience was something I will never forget. Soon enough we are on our way and once we clear the harbour Pete sets the boat to full speed and we are heading off in search of the whales. Now we knew why we needed those suits and hats and gloves. It was certainly fresh.

After about 40 minutes and lots of information from both Pete and Sierra we saw some boats gathered in the distance. We could soon see an orca fin breaking the water and Sierra explained to us we had met up with some of J Pod. They had lots of information on these killer whales and, as well as spending time observing some of them, we heard about their family groups, history and bonds. We saw a male called Blackberry a mother called Oreo and her daughter Cookie. We where with them for a good hour and at times they would breach the water as well as swimming closer to the boats but at all times we had to keep a minimum distance to keep them safe.

Sierra told us about a female from J Pod who's recently born calf had died and they where monitoring her as she had been carrying her calves body round with her for days on her nose. They where concerned and worried that she wasn't eating properly so wanted to keep an eye on her and her group to make sure they where okay. It was quite sad to hear and once back we kept searching the news for information and updates on her. Having seen Orcas in captivity this was a whole new experience for me and certainly put a new perspective on the whole captivity of killer whales. I will never forget what it was like to spend time and see these creatures in the wild and I feel both privileged and lucky to have been able to do this. It was a definite highlight of the trip.

We could of stayed out for much longer but as the sun was setting we had to unfortunately head back to Victoria. We spent a long while talking with Sierra about her travels, she was great to speak with, as well as enjoying the views on the way back to Vancouver Island.

Pete managed to pull one last animal encounter out of the bag finding us a bald eagle on the way back to the harbour before all too soon we found ourselves back in Victoria and parking up at Fishermans Wharf. The company had laid on hot chocolate for us all and Pete and Sierra stayed to talk to people about where we had been and to answer any questions. Once changed and warmed up we had a steady walk back in the cool night air to the hotel. Peckish we had some of the leftover nachos and bagels before heading into bed. A brilliant day and the orcas where something I will never forget.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

I read about the whale carrying her dead calf for days, so sad, certainly does make you think.

Your whale watching experience looked amazing, I'd love to go on such a trip but I'd be worried that a whale would get too close and capsize the boat - how do they avoid this happening?
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by eleele View Post
I read about the whale carrying her dead calf for days, so sad, certainly does make you think.

Your whale watching experience looked amazing, I'd love to go on such a trip but I'd be worried that a whale would get too close and capsize the boat - how do they avoid this happening?
When the boat captain finds the whales they have to stay at least 200 metres away. If the whales choose to approach that is their choice but you are never allowed to chase them.

If the do or are getting close they move the boats away providing it’s safe to do so. They said the whales have come close but are mainly inquisitive and once they’ve had a look swim off.

It always felt really safe and the whales would have to have some power or size to tip the boat as they boats are quite large although ours was open.

It was brilliant and I’d definitely say to give it a go it was an amazing experience, if felt perfectly safe and we where well looked after.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

You certainly packed a full day in today! Do is desperate to do a whale watching your, glad you saw them.
Old 27 Aug 18, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

I remember reading about the mother whale too - so sad. I'd love to see Orcas. Yes it does put the whole Seaworld scenario into perspective. Have whale watched from Monterey (and see blue whales!) but this is something entirely different

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
What a fabulous day!

Your whale watching trip looks fantastic. How long did it last? We did whale watching last year, and although I enjoyed it, my motion sickness doesn’t make me particularly keen to repeat it. I’m almost tempted by your trip though - the seating on your boat looks better suited to me than the one we were on.

I’m another that followed the news about the whale carrying her dead calf. That was so sad.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
You certainly packed a full day in today! Do is desperate to do a whale watching your, glad you saw them.
We loved it, it was a brilliant trip

Originally Posted by anji View Post
I remember reading about the mother whale too - so sad. I'd love to see Orcas. Yes it does put the whole Seaworld scenario into perspective. Have whale watched from Monterey (and see blue whales!) but this is something entirely different
We’ve done a couple before, this was the first we saw Orcas, love seeing whales in the wild, it’s an amazing experience

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
What a fabulous day!

Your whale watching trip looks fantastic. How long did it last? We did whale watching last year, and although I enjoyed it, my motion sickness doesn’t make me particularly keen to repeat it. I’m almost tempted by your trip though - the seating on your boat looks better suited to me than the one we were on.

I’m another that followed the news about the whale carrying her dead calf. That was so sad.
We where out for about 3 hours, the boat was comfortable but fast and bumpy at times. It was a brilliant trip and worth it to see the Orcas.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place