Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Oct 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

TUI happened to me this year, they had my 4 children and myself and husband spread over 6 different isle and over 14 isles in total. Only way I could resolve was to pay for us all to have the bigger seats! My youngest children where 3 and 8 at time of flying.
Old 15 Oct 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

EasyJet are a joke with this. I was travelling with my wife and when we checked in online we were split up. No issues there, we didn’t prepay for seats so that’s fine. Got onboard and I was sat beside 2 young children and my wife was sat 2 rows behind with the 2 young children’s frantic mother. She was delighted when I offered to move but why did it come to this. Someone needs to write a better seat allocation programme for EasyJet because that was ridiculous.

Similar thing happened when I was travelling alone to Edinburgh for work. Why they just couldn’t move me automatically at checkin I don’t know.

If you ask the airlines they swear they don’t do this on purpose to make people pay for seats. I call male cow’s excrement on that statement
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 04:00 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Sometimes it boils down to money making for airlines however on some flights it doesn't cost much to book a seat, as little as £5 each way each seat. Yes it adds up but if if was a cheap flight it shouldnt be a huge expense.
As some people pre book seats all over the plane it can be difficult for airlines to sit families together so maybe blocks of seats should be reserved for families only - on long haul the middle seats would be perfect for those that haven't pre booked.

As you can also book a long way in advance this adds complications so maybe all airlines should only allow seats to be booked 2 weeks prior?
Old 16 Oct 19, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

A woman on our flight back was ranting about it. I didn’t quite get what she was saying but I thought she had said they had paid for PE - we were just in bog standard economy but she was 2 rows behind us so don’t know how - anyway her daughter was literally the row in front. When she got on she was going on at the flight attendant, then she spoke to the couple who were sitting next to her daughter. The daughter was maybe 8 or 9? And seemed fine but the mother carried on I could hear her telling someone. Anyway the next thing a guy appeared - he was travelling alone and had ended up sat next to the mum and agreed to swap with the child.
We have always paid to pre-book seats - used to do it cos DD is diabetic and would also throw up for the entire flight so we always book to sit near the toilet.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
cumbrian lakes
Apprentice Imagineer

Lufthansa split us up. 7 year old was a few aisles in front. Flight from Miami. Everyone moved so we could all sit together.

Edited at 07:04 AM.
cumbrian lakes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by planecrazi3778 View Post
The regulations are any child under 8 should be seated next to an adult (this could be accross the aisle) between 8-11 years old, they coiod be seated 1 row behind or in front of the adult and also accross the aise, so for example, the adult could be sat in 2a and the child in 3f. Any child over 12 can be sat anywhere according to the regulations.
Theses are guidelines. And the reason for it is safety. I’m ex cabin crew and the majority of other passengers do move to accommodate it. It happened to us last year with virgin even though my son is visually impaired but the crew managed to sort it.
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

Ys it happened to us with BA. My 4 year old nephew was sat in the row in front of me. There was just him and me in the party. I asked around if anyone could swap seats so we were together and no one volunteered. Since then we pay for seats.
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

We have never been split up on BA - they state they will ALWAYS sit families together if there are children under 12 on the flight - I think this is evident by the fact that 3-6 days before the flight they will allocate the seats for your flights so you can see at that point you are sat together, everyone else only gets seats allocated at 24 hours out
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

We were split up twice on VA. I could just about see our 10 year olds head and our 12 year old was no where near either me or her dad. We had seats booked on both flights but on one of the flights they changed them when we checked in saying another family needed them. There was absolutely no consideration given to us or the fact that our son is a nervous and sickly flyer. They asked for people to move to help us out but nobody came forward. It was a flight full of families so we expected that. Nobody wanted to be in our situation.

I went to have a look at the needy family in out original seats and they were a family of four, two teenagers. I know things are not always obvious but felt like it was a real injustice and we had been taken for a ride.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by birdiesX4 View Post
We were split up twice on VA. I could just about see our 10 year olds head and our 12 year old was no where near either me or her dad. We had seats booked on both flights but on one of the flights they changed them when we checked in saying another family needed them. There was absolutely no consideration given to us or the fact that our son is a nervous and sickly flyer. They asked for people to move to help us out but nobody came forward. It was a flight full of families so we expected that. Nobody wanted to be in our situation.

I went to have a look at the needy family in out original seats and they were a family of four, two teenagers. I know things are not always obvious but felt like it was a real injustice and we had been taken for a ride.
Someone in that family might have had unseen health issues which necessitated them having those seats though.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List