Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > General Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Orlando Attraction Tickets
Unread 11 Jun 17, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Looks fab so far! The JFK museum is really good - you'll love it. And really cool to meet up with family, hope it's really special for you all.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 17, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Looks fab so far! The JFK museum is really good - you'll love it. And really cool to meet up with family, hope it's really special for you all.
Hello, coming round fast for you now

We are really looking forward to our day in Dallas and the whole family thing will be so emotional. I do hope everyone is well enough to be part of it .. And the technology works

I have run out of steam a bit now. Memphis is sorted but I have no enthusiasm for Nashville so skipped it and gone straight to planning New Orleans. I need to get my mojo back

From the Bayou to the Beach - latest trip report index here ]
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 19 Jun 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Days 4-8 Tennessee

Day 4 Eureka Springs to Memphis

Ah this will be a long drive

Free brekky at hotel followed by a quick trip to Basin Springs Park (if we didnt see it last night)

and then out to see the Christ of the Ozarks ( unkindly likened to a milk carton by some)

And then on the road for 3 hours , stopping for lunch at the Whole Hog Caf in Conway

Bellies full I will then sleep, snore and dribble for the remaining 2 hours to Memphis

Lets hope Andy doesnt do the same or it could be a quite exciting but shortened journey !

We are staying 2 nights at the Hampton Inn and Suites Memphis near Beale Street

390 including breakfast but excluding parking

Depending on arrival time we might do one of the local tours ( Gibson or Sun Studios) or we may just head out onto Beale Street for the rest of the afternoon and evening

Day 5 Memphis

Up and out to Graceland

I am going to pre book tickets going for the VIP one and aiming to get there for the 0930 slot for the mansion.

Am looking forward to this very much

Back to Memphis at lunchtime to try one of the Man V Food places either Kooky Canucks or Vergos. But a shared lunch as we have a posh dinner tonight thats the plan anyway

Afternoon free to look around and do any local tours before dinner at Flight Wine Bar, booked for 7pm

Day 6 Nashville

On the road to Nashville after hotel brekky. 3 hour drive

Aim to get to HIE Opryland before lunchtime . What a faff the Nashville hotels have been , I think its killed my enthusiasm for the place. I thought Dallas was expensive , eesh here is eye watering.

This place though was a good deal as recommended by fellow Dibbers 400 for two nights including breakfast and parking. I cant believe I think 200 per night is a good deal. Orlando prices totally spoil you.

Anyhoo, no fixed plans for the afternoon except that by 4pm we want to be over at the Opry Mill Mall so we can easily head over to the Opry for the evening we have 2nd row mezzanine tickets so I am hoping a good view. No idea what to expect from tonight but keep hearing good things

Not planned eats for today could be a hangry nightmare in the making

Day 7 Nashville

Sunday, we fancy visiting the big Baptist Church downtown.

Then have the rest of the day to explore downtown so that may mean Country Music Hall of Fame, Shelby Bridge etc and definitely some time along Broadway.

No food plans for today yet either. Need to sort this asap !

Day 8 Nashville to New Orleans

Up and out early after free hotel brekky and on the road to Lynchburg to the Jack Daniels Distillery ( about 1 hours) .

In no rush so will stay for lunch at somewhere like the Barrelhouse BBQ or BBQ Caboose Caf. Arent they just the best names !

Back To Nashville for any last minute sight seeing / killing time before returning the hire car and catching our 7.15 flight to New Orleans. 225 for the two of us, including luggage.

Arrive NOLA just after 8.30 , not booked a transfer yet but expect to be at hotel by 9.30

The super swanky Bourbon Orleans - 400 for 4 nights in a King Room ( now that is a bargain). Yes its hurricane season so it had 60% off but frankly we always travel to Florida in hurricane season anyway.

We may well venture out onto Bourbon Street to begin our cocktail quest

Yes trying out the (many) cocktails invented here

New Orleans in the next instalment

pics courtesy of Google images

Edited at 10:41 AM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 19 Jun 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Ooh Amanda, what an exciting road trip. Im sure the boys will be fine and hopefully the house will still be in one piece ( no more swinging from the staircase! ) Happy planning and dress shopping!
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 19 Jun 17, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Sounding great! Though some of the hotel prices are a bit eyewatering!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Visiting my boy in Hong Kong:
Unread 19 Jun 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Amanda, it all sounds fab! would love to do something like this when the kids have grown up!
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Dubai for our 20th anniversary
Unread 19 Jun 17, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Ooh Amanda, what an exciting road trip. Im sure the boys will be fine and hopefully the house will still be in one piece ( no more swinging from the staircase! ) Happy planning and dress shopping!
I am sure they will be too - I just worry about J getting up on time for school EVERY day and also the two dogs - as C will no doubt be in bed till lunchtime and then on his PC so the poor dogs will be bursting for a tiddle !

And I have indeed purchased some new dresses

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Sounding great! Though some of the hotel prices are a bit eyewatering!
Arent they just - sheesh, not a budget trip and I couldn't even contemplate some of the nicer hotels in Memphis and Nashville - they were stratospheric in price. And even Orlando was pricey too - there must be something on the week we are there - the hotel I really wanted doubled its rate from the Sunday to the Monday

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
Amanda, it all sounds fab! would love to do something like this when the kids have grown up!
I am loking forward to it - really quite different for us . And I keep checking with the boys, they definitely are not interested in the places we have earmarked to visit. It lessens the guilt I think we may have had a harder job leaving them behind if it was say Vegas or Miami !

Unread 19 Jun 17, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Days 9-11 New Orleans

Days 9-11 New Orleans

I have lumped these all together as we have a list of things we want to do but no set order. With 4 nights and 3 full days here we want to have time to just bimble about, eat and drink as we please, enjoy the pool at the hotel and not be rushing around.

I just cant wait to see the hotel ...

On the must do list :

WW2 museum

Magazine Street

RiverWalk

Riding a trolley bus

Cemetery Tour ( on my list not Andys)

Trying Gumbo ( on Andys list not mine)

Beignets at Caf Du Monde

Bourbon Street

Jackson Square

I have a hankering for a trip on the Paddle steamer, himself is not so keen. So one to wait and see

I suspect one or two more things may creep in but it depends how humid it is walking around - the cemetery tour is only an hour and we are a few mins from Jackson Square so I am hopeful it wont feel too rushed.

And of course we have to leave time to visit all the places that are famous for that lovely list of cocktails It will take me the whole time to get through the list

I haven't finished the meal planning yet - although I have noted a breakfast diner called Slim Goodies on Magazine Street and a place called the Upperline which does a 7 course Creole Sampler menu . So more to follow on the amazing noms that we will be feasting upon .

Day 12 we will be heading over to Florida for the last leg of the trip. Shopping heads at the ready ...

pics courtesy of google images

Edited at 08:24 PM.