Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 11 Jul 17, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Serving sizes are certainly a problem, which makes it too easy to overeat.

I think places like Olive Garden serve 3 times the serving size of pasta at least! I've always found that the salads are very heavily overdressed too, so I ask for the dressing on the side just so I can taste the food.

The good thing is that you can box leftovers if you like, to take. If not, lots of places also do small plates or shareable appetizers too. Some of these are like main meals. You can also sub things out for veggies or salad.

We went to PF Changs for dinner one night last week with friends and I always try to look at nutritionals before I go. Their calamari appetizer had over 6000mg of sodium! That is outrageous!
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
I looked at the IHOP and Denny's pancake calories and nearly fell off the chair. Granted most places here are just as bad (1350 cals for a fish supper at my local) but I only eat out once in a blue moon. I still want my treats so I figure if I have a pancake brekky it will be fruit for lunch and then some fish for tea. Or a light brekky and then a treat lunch or tea. It would be really easy to pack on the pounds over there and I'm barely 5'2 so it only takes a few pounds for my clothes to feel tight.
I had an egg white omelette with avocado and side of fruit in I Hop for about 400 calories. It was very filling
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
As someone who avoids milk, I was pretty horrified by the 'plain' food that has been grilled in butter. Everything has butter! That certainly increases the calorie content.
they often marinate chicken in buttermilk

Edited at 02:05 PM.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
I looked at the IHOP and Denny's pancake calories and nearly fell off the chair. Granted most places here are just as bad (1350 cals for a fish supper at my local) but I only eat out once in a blue moon. I still want my treats so I figure if I have a pancake brekky it will be fruit for lunch and then some fish for tea. Or a light brekky and then a treat lunch or tea. It would be really easy to pack on the pounds over there and I'm barely 5'2 so it only takes a few pounds for my clothes to feel tight.
Oh I totally agree here.

Me and hubby ate like kings while we were over there and I'm still feeling it.

But even on a normal day, I feel bloated after two slices of toast!
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Me and my friend have already said we're sharing our food after the portions we wasted while in Vegas last time. Although I still have fond memories of the half a steak I took home from Outback that I left on ice overnight and munched cold on the way to Death Valley. That was so delicious.

I've been signing up for restaurant offers at the moment and Texas Roadhouse was a free appetiser. I clicked on the "cactus blossom" and it says the battered onion is 1470 calories with the dip being 270 calories. texasroadhouse/menu/...lossom-sup-sup

I'll definitely be sharing that and not scoffing it myself.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
bwfc4ife
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by justacey View Post
Me and my friend have already said we're sharing our food after the portions we wasted while in Vegas last time. Although I still have fond memories of the half a steak I took home from Outback that I left on ice overnight and munched cold on the way to Death Valley. That was so delicious.

I've been signing up for restaurant offers at the moment and Texas Roadhouse was a free appetiser. I clicked on the "cactus blossom" and it says the battered onion is 1470 calories with the dip being 270 calories. texasroadhouse/menu/...lossom-sup-sup

I'll definitely be sharing that and not scoffing it myself.
This sounds like a great idea - where are you finding the offers? Is there one site in particular that has them all on?
bwfc4ife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I'm trawling through the threads here recommending restaurants and going to their website to join their mailing list (with an old email address) to sign up. Most introductory offers are for 2 weeks. Obviously my birthday is while we are away . I have free pancakes, free appetisers, 20% offs.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mysteryjimbo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CU2016 View Post
We were walking 5-10 miles a day which we felt is what balanced out all the food we ate.
You'd be surprised how few calories that is compared to calories involved.

A 10st individual will burn approx 65-75 calories per mile depending on body composition. Call it 750 calories per 10 miles. So that should bump up a womans calories to around 2500pd and males to almost 3000pd.

There's about 500-600 calories in a Cinnamon roll from Gaston's. I found reference that there's 1000 calories in a Turkey leg.

Its too easy to put away over 4000 calories in a day if you aren't careful. Even worse if you are drinking "full fat" soda which can easily have 500 calories in a litre.
Old 13 Jul 17, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
rubberduckie89
Excited about Disney

rubberduckie89's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I thought America listed things in KJ (rather than Kcal) but maybe i'm mistaken?
Old 13 Jul 17, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
They do both - same here. I think it's so you gasp with horror at the kj and then look at the (still frightfully high) kcal and go "oh that's not so bad!"
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List