Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Dec 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
trekkerglenn
Proud to wear my Ears

i'm a Dinosaur - Ipad celluar question

I thought I was down with the tech but have managed to confuse myself immensely here.

Ipad pro cellular for Kids Xmas - we want her to use it whilst in Orlando so thought 3 PAYG sim was the best option, seems after talking to them for nine hundred years on the phone I cant use a "sim" and need a data only sim which is far more expensive.

Tried the Giffgaff website but from reading the community blurb it seems they don't offer this in the US and it will cost a bajillion pounds on normal airtime credit.

Hence being stumped, I did question why I couldnt just buy a PAYG phone sim deal from 3 and ignore the free mins/texts but the Foreign lady assured me I could not?

She then offered me a "you're on the phone" only deal of 40gb for £17 per month 12m sign up, it seemed too good to be true so said I'd rethink, she became pushy which made me even more sceptical ?

Help, what have others done in this very simple scenario that I can't fathom?

Just to confuse matters, on returning to the UK we was probably gonna revert to a Giffgaff sim deal ? or data deal as they seem the best for Data deals in the UK

Thanks
trekkerglenn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Don't use cellular use only WiFi when in us is the answer.

All the parks and hotels. Even busses have it.

Don't really need data at home to as you can piggy back with parents phones in UK... Just make sure they have decent data allowance and set up mobile hot spot.
We turn mobile data off even on parents ipads in us.

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
trekkerglenn
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for the quick reply, both parents are on Giffgaff so may as well take a potato with us if we want to use their network (or the Royal Mint)

It was more for the car journeys to and from the Parks, we did make good use of the wifi last time though.

thanks
trekkerglenn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I gave an iPad Pro cellular and never in the USA, use the cellular, just Wi-fi.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
My ipad is a cellular - don't use it in the UK or USA with data sim as found them too expensive. Found out after I'd bought it - I too foolishly thought you could pop in your mobile SIM and use it - I mean - I am simple - but data is data?
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by trekkerglenn View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, both parents are on Giffgaff so may as well take a potato with us if we want to use their network (or the Royal Mint)

It was more for the car journeys to and from the Parks, we did make good use of the wifi last time though.

thanks
Just gorra plan ahead.

Have games you download and play offline, get skykids, or Disney life or others and download the content, or put video files on the ipads. here or using wifi there and then watch without streaming or downloading using cell coverage.

the second you use mobile data, even a kb, you get charged a minimum of £5 per day from the big UK suppliers.

Just make sure roaming is off before you hit the plane and keep it off.

Also need a VPN app if you want to watch Disney Life subscription in Disney!

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
trekkerglenn
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks everyone, I tried again with the 3 online chat and this time didn't get the annoying foreign saleswoman.

15gb data plan, PAYG is £20 cancel anytime, pop it in the Ipad in the UK and automatically can use with the "feel at home" which 3 run.

Sorted

Papamouse: some GREAT tips which I will use too, many thanks for those