Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

View Poll Results: Do you hire a car when staying on site at WDW?
Yes - for the whole duration of the holiday 126 63.00%
Yes - only for part of the holiday 31 15.50%
No 43 21.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Jun 18, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Am agonising over that decision two. Will have one drink at most on holiday so not fussed about driving plus I like it too. For Disney I could get the bus from CBR/POR but then what if we do want to change plans or head to the mall if wet? Need a car at some point as plan to do Kennedy. But then Universal charge to pay so for the 4 days that's another $100, when we could just use the shuttle from Rosen?
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Belle1989
Serious Dibber

We get a car as we enjoy the freedom to be spontaneous and head offsite if we wish and like not having to queue and wait for the bus etc, especially when leaving or arriving the parks at popular times. For our next trip I considered only getting a car for a week but the price was the same for 1 week as for 2!
WDW 'Once in a Lifetime trip' - July 2017 -- OKW DLP - July 2018 -- Hotel Cheyenne WDW POR Royal Guest Room -- May 2019 WDW POFQ -- Christmas & New Year 2022 WDW Contemporay Resort & POFQ -- Christmas & New Year 2023
Belle1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Moogles Smith
slightly serious Dibber

We have just got back from 11 nights at the GF and we hired a car originally for 7 nights but extended it for another 3 so we had the flexibility.
We are doing the same in October when we stay at SSR.

We had a 4 month old with us and did several things offsite as well as driving to the non monorail resorts/parks as it was much quicker/easier than waiting for the bus.

We normally get the magical express from mco to the resort and then get the car the following morning first thing from the Disney car care centre.
Book an early slot (as you will no doubt be up early anyway) and free pickup from the resort and when you drop the car back they will drop you back to any resort/park.

Works well for us.

DVC Owner - Polynesian

Edited at 10:48 AM.
Moogles Smith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Peacemaker
Very Serious Dibber

No,as not worth it as we are onsite with DDP and rarely leave off site. If we go stay at US/IOA its cheaper to get a taxi. I don't really want to go shopping etc.

Plus I don't drive and my dp doesn't like driving over there (He has driven in the USA before) and will only do it if necessary.
Peacemaker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
D15ney72
Serious Dibber

We just use Disney transport, but if our children were at an age where that would be a hassle I would definitely hire a car. In May last year we did hire a car for 1 day from Alamo at the Disney Car Care Center, so we could drive to Kennedy, but other than that we’ve just used taxis to go offsite.
D15ney72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Generally we will hire for a week in the middle of a 2 week holiday, so we can go shopping etc, but never use the car to get to parks, unless it's for a half day and we plan going elsewhere after.

For us the Disney transport works well, and having a car is a pain in the rear...

Having left after fireworks twice last visit, we would have been on a bus and possibly back at the hotel before we even got on the ferryboat back to the TTC..
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

only ever stayed onsite for 3 nights we used the disney buses for a day then got back in the car

too much waiting about for us & the last buses late at night from MK was like the Tokyo underground...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Well, I haven’t been for nine years but the previously six years I stayed on site I saw no benefit in having a car. Disney transport sufficient, plus you can order taxis. For me paying for a car and having it sat in a car park ( and I think Disney are now charging for parking but could be wrong) is a total waste.

Never had an issue with booking taxis etc even at the last minute late nights in parks. I'd order a cab i

Edited at 12:30 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

I am currently on my first trip in 15 where I have not had a car. It was not through choice and while I have no intention of going into the details circumstances dictated that we could not hire one this trip. I cancelled the SUV that I did have booked a week before departure and got a full refund. That put an extra $600 into the spending money. We are exclusively onsite at Disney staying at Pop Century. We also have the dining plan.

Bottom line is - while the car has been a miss for some things (trips to Publix mainly) I have decided that I wont be hiring one in future. Its a little more inconvenient but not $600 worth of inconvenient. I've used uber for the supermarket runs and a couple of resort trips for dining. Thats cost me less than $30.

The buses are a pain at park close - always a line and we rarely get on the first bus. It works though and you do get back to your room in a reasonable timeframe.

I never ever thought I would consider not hiring a car but there you go.
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

We are hoping to return next year and on our four previous trips have hired a car as we stayed in a villa . Next year we want to stay in universal and a sea world partner hotel (not doing disney) so am seriously thinking about not hiring a car this time. I have worked out uber costs and the hotels have shuttles to parks so I really dont think we will bother. The only thing I will miss is a trip to the beach so maybe we would hire for just a day or two like others have.