Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 3 Aug 18, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile Do I need a credit card to hire a car?

I've got a Free car with my holiday package and was wondering if I needed a credit card when I fetch it? I only have a debit card so now I'm panicking TY
Hevfev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Most companies accept either a CC or a DC with a Visa or Mastercard logo.

Best to check the FAQs of the company you've hired with. You don't want to get to the barrier to find that Joe Bloggs car hire is the only one who doesn't accept a DC.

Just as important though is the car fully insured? CDW and SLI for $1m for example?

Mick

Edited at 09:11 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Most companies accept either a CC or a DC with a Visa or Mastercard logo.

Best to check the FAQs of the company you've hired with. You don't want to get to the barrier to find that Joe Bloggs car hire is the only one who doesn't accept a DC.
I
Mick
It's with Alamo if that helps? I'll try find out on their website but I thought their cards are different than ours if you know what I mean?
Im going to get added insurance
Hevfev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Hevfev View Post
It's with Alamo if that helps? I'll try find out on their website but I thought their cards are different than ours if you know what I mean?
Visa and Mastercard are global. Still worth checking Alamo Ts & Cs though.

What do your car hire documents say about SLI (third party)? If it's the state minimum of $20k don't even think about driving the car. Should be $1m.

I only ever hire through the likes of Alamo Brits, usrentacar or DFCH and they all provide the full insurance.

Mick

Edited at 09:16 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We've always had a CC card with us, as I've always thought they take money from your DD card, but with CC it's just a hold (I could be wrong?). And as Mick says, make sure your 'free' car has insurance, because usually they don't.
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by minnie29 View Post
We've always had a CC card with us, as I've always thought they take money from your DD card, but with CC it's just a hold (I could be wrong?). And as Mick says, make sure your 'free' car has insurance, because usually they don't.
They have basic insurance so I'm going to upgrade and find my own before I get there. I don't and can't get a credit card
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gally1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Only ever used debit card when hiring from Alamo, never had any issues.

Would double check with them though as things do change.
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by minnie29 View Post
Alamo take a $1 hold on your card just to test that it's live. It drops off after a few days.

Mick
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hevfev View Post
They have basic insurance so I'm going to upgrade and find my own before I get there. I don't and can't get a credit card
Sometimes it can be cheaper to not take the free car and just hire your own, we use US rent a car, insurance is covered with your hire, they do Alamo, Dollar and others. Even if u applied for a basic Vanquis CC card which are quite easy to get, you don't have to have a great credit rating etc. but, just make sure you don't use it, other than for Car hire to swipe, because the interest is super high!
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Alamo take a $1 hold on your card just to test that it's live. It drops off after a few days.

Mick
I've checked and they do accept Visa cards so I think I'm safe- phew. I would have preferred to know others have used it but I feel better having read the t&cs. Thanks Mick