Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Aug 09, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Benno1
Imagineer

Benno1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by lfcnut View Post
Wonder if it'll affect IoA in anyway?
That was my first thought. Could be interesting

Days Inn Convention Center 1999
Quality Inn Plaza 2000/1/2/3/4/5/6/8/9/10
Rosen Inn @ Pointe (Old QIP) 2013/14/16/18
Rosen Plaza 2019
Benno1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gaz Lear View Post
I think Disney wont change a thing, what would be better for Disney than every dollar that goes through IOA's tills a percentage goes straight into the mouse's pocket?
There's no way Universal will pay Disney for anything, they are competition and having to bow to disney's terms will not work.

I think everyone is forgetting about Star Wars here, what on earth does Star wars have to do with Disney? (except maybe that star wars has a princess too...Princess Leilla, whatever she's called) yet they incorporated that into Disney with Star Tours and Star Wars Weekends).

I'm pretty sure this is all part of a plan to make Disney apeal to a wider audience. This can only be good news, Disney are pretty smart with these things, they've realised that everyone is different and so have made differently themed parks, ie Epcot is more for Grown ups than Kids, and Hollywood Studios is more for Movie lovers etc). This way they can build a new park focussing on the addrenaline junkies (ME! ).

Universal will find a way round it, they're universal for gods sake, they have made some of the best movies of all time, they can easily re-theme they're park, albeit costing a lot of money in the process...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Also Disney is said to be interested in Buying Busch Gardens and Seaworld from InBev as InBev are wanting to sell off their theme parks so it seems Disney wants a larger share in the theme parks market
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by zootaga View Post
Also Disney is said to be interested in Buying Busch Gardens and Seaworld from InBev as InBev are wanting to sell off their theme parks so it seems Disney wants a larger share in the theme parks market
Disney are taking over the world! YE-HA!

Now if only they would buy the company i work for and i had to come to work in Mickey ears...
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Disney are taking over the world! YE-HA!

Now if only they would buy the company i work for and i had to come to work in Mickey ears...
This isn't a good thing, ticket prices would rocket...

I remeber reading recently that Universal are building a new ride based on Transformers at two of it's other parks but wouldn't be opening at Orlando as it uses the same technology as Spiderman... Ding Ding...Sounds like an obvious move to me ? The rest will be really easy to re-brand as they are just generic theme park rides
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post

ok - reckon this is BAD BAD BAD for theme park goes & suspect Disney will sit on the rights for a while.

Disney does fluffy. Universal does edgy.

Either Disney is trying to set a new, more diverse, direction or we'll have the Hulk Tea-Cups & Spidermans Its a small world...

Am sure the contract covers US in some way - i.e. use of branding on rides for x years. If not, I can't believe they would have exposed themselves to such risk.

Either way, could spell a change in theme parks out west...
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I think its all down to lack of ideas at Disney. There finding it hard to think of ideas for the boys end of the market. There latest movies cartoon and movie have been aimed at the girls market. I cant see many boys liking the frog and princess and any of the HSM'S. So they know how much money Universal made for the Spiderman and Hulk movies and now they owe all 5000 Marvel stars they can make movies that can complete with Transformers. They well have a massive Marvel shop at DTD soon aswell.
At Universal I guess they owe the rights for so many years and when its up for renewal they can offer Disney a price to renew the contract.
Just think how much Disney gonna make off the premiership now they owe the rights to 46 games a year which they will show all around the world. Disney not just a dream theme park with nice rides but a worldwide money maker.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
It will be intresting to see how this plays out over the years. $50 billion in a credit crunch sure is a big spend, but Disney must see a good return on the investment
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Perhaps Disney will just ask IOA to rebrand their rides:

"Walt Disney's Marvel Island"

"Spiderman presented by Disney Marvel"

etc

Can't see IOA going for it somehow.
Old 31 Aug 09, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post

This deal had little to do with theme parks, it is much more to do with movies and movie merchandising. Disney has bought the rights to over 5000 characters and the possibilities are incredible.
Iron Man is not considered one of the more popular Marvel characters but last years film grossed more than $600m and a number of sequels will ensue.