Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jul 14, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think next time they try it on with me, and no doubt there will be a next time, I will just ask for the manager, take a note of everyone's name and then write to the head office.

Yes, you should check paperwork before you leave I agree, but the underhand tactics are exactly that, underhand.

I am going to make a stand!
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 14, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
austinjreid
Excited about Disney

I would agree that tiredness should not be an excuse.

Luckily I have only had a slight rip-off where Alamo (in 2007 Sanford) charged me after returning the vehicle for a tank of fuel even though I returned it full. But a quick email after I was home and all was refunded without question.

For me the issue is not tiredness, but rather a mixture of wanting to get going and knowing the family and kids just want to get there, and also that I am seeing a document that I have never seen the layout before. It doesn't have the expected "You have $zero to pay" in clear type, but rather a mixture of sectioned parts in usefully small print and possibly the breakdown of charges in $ but no clarity of the payment you made in £. Add in the hire/insurance legal terminology.

It seems if from some of the comments that even if you ask then they do not tell you the truth either so you need to figure out the entire document for yourself to be certain.
This would also mean finding the section that reads "Extra charges you have not requested and are not likely to find until it is too late" as I'm sure that section will not be highlighted in red

I'm sure there are lots of people who encounter vehicle hire/insurance forms daily but also many who do not.

What could be useful if anyone has the means is to get a copy/photo of forms/docs from different companies so we can show people before they travel what to possibly expect?
Kind of like the green/white immigration/customs forms here on the dibb.

I know they may change their forms, but even if its just some kind of pointers of terms of words to watch for.
Old 7 Jul 14, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
skindogg
slightly serious Dibber

skindogg's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Good idea when I get home I will scan and blank out confidential info and show mine.

I know I messed up - no excuse at all

But again the issue is the dishonesty of the staff who are clearly commission based trying all the tricks.
Old 7 Jul 14, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Yes always take the time to read it I rent often going to ireland and don't care how many in the queue behind me I always start with the total and work back.

If the total is 0 it's a good start.

Hope you have a great holiday...
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 14, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skindogg View Post
Good idea when I get home I will scan and blank out confidential info and show mine.

I know I messed up - no excuse at all

But again the issue is the dishonesty of the staff who are clearly commission based trying all the tricks.
Are they still on commission? Been a while since i got the hard sell from them.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 14, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
skindogg
slightly serious Dibber

skindogg's Reviews
Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Are they still on commission? Been a while since i got the hard sell from them.
I assumed... who knows! Why else would a salaried employee be so underhand!?
Old 7 Jul 14, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post

I always like the "would you like road side recovery?" - as I reply, "nope, if it breaks down, I ring you, then a cab - its your car, you recover it..."
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 14, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Slacey View Post
I always like the "would you like road side recovery?" - as I reply, "nope, if it breaks down, I ring you, then a cab - its your car, you recover it..."
Will add that one to my "dealing with car hire sharks dictionary of useful phrases" !

Love it!
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 14, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Slacey View Post

haha and then claim back some costs for "inconvenience"

However I think the cover is about getting a flat tyre or windscreen damage which isn't covered in the standard insurance.
Old 7 Jul 14, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
skindogg
slightly serious Dibber

skindogg's Reviews
Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
haha and then claim back some costs for "inconvenience"

However I think the cover is about getting a flat tyre or windscreen damage which isn't covered in the standard insurance.

Yes agreed it also covers a lost key and damage to the undercarriage that is not covered as far as I know.