Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Dec 14, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I hope the earlier poster Tom Morrow, doesn't come a cropper if he really does shred his paper counterpart on Januiary 1. He says he doesn't do 'what if's'; but at the moment, the what if's are very relevant. It is all very well the UK government saying the counterpart is no longer required IN THE UK as everyone's driving record can be called up from the DVLA database. That will be so in the UK, but it is a different matter abroad. In the unlikely - but not impossible - event of a UK driver being pulled up by the police in Florida, or anywhere else in the US, a paper licence will be asked for. The plastic card licence does not have a driver's full record on it; it is simply i.d. American cops can be jobsworths, and will not take kindly to being told by a Brit, "oh, we don't need them any more - the UK government says so". Under their jurisdiction, it's what US law requires that matters. No cop standing at the roadside is going to have either the time, tolerance or facilities to call up the DVLA. So the prospect of being taken to the police station to have it all checked out is a very real one.
There will probably be a few instances of this until word of the UK government's decision filters through to the cop on the highway, and agreed alternative methods of checking are established. I have seen on another discussion board a suggestion that for their own convenience UK drivers should either print up or get faxed to them their drivers' record from the DVLA every time they go abroad. This will serve as a dated counterpart and thus satisfy any car rental requirements (although they rarely ask to see one), and anything the police may want. I'd suggest to Dibbers that if they do have an existing paper counterpart, take it with you just to be sure.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 14, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Exactly mickchick - it makes sense in a period of transition to have it with you - even if you don't need it - a car hire company or police officer might think you do - even if they are wrong, it could take some sorting out - I wouldn't want to stand there telling an office his in the wrong, go check the facts! We are confused aboit it in the UK, sure some of our friends across the pond are going to be just as confused!

Not exactly hardship is it, carrying a bit of paper in your wallet - why risk it?
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 14, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
As I said in my OP this was just wondering what other people thought and did . I will take both parts next year and the only reason is both parts are together in A draw and when I need my DL I take both parts as they in the same sleve .
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 14, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
I have to go along with the above posts. How are some of the other posts privy to what US cops/ rental companies know about changes in UK driving licences? Remember the confusion regarding international driving permits? It's a bit of paper. What's the harm in bringing it? It's not adding weight on your luggage allowance.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 14, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
I hope the earlier poster Tom Morrow, doesn't come a cropper if he really does shred his paper counterpart on Januiary 1. He says he doesn't do 'what if's'; but at the moment, the what if's are very relevant. It is all very well the UK government saying the counterpart is no longer required IN THE UK as everyone's driving record can be called up from the DVLA database. That will be so in the UK, but it is a different matter abroad. In the unlikely - but not impossible - event of a UK driver being pulled up by the police in Florida, or anywhere else in the US, a paper licence will be asked for. The plastic card licence does not have a driver's full record on it; it is simply i.d. American cops can be jobsworths, and will not take kindly to being told by a Brit, "oh, we don't need them any more - the UK government says so". Under their jurisdiction, it's what US law requires that matters. No cop standing at the roadside is going to have either the time, tolerance or facilities to call up the DVLA. So the prospect of being taken to the police station to have it all checked out is a very real one.
There will probably be a few instances of this until word of the UK government's decision filters through to the cop on the highway, and agreed alternative methods of checking are established. I have seen on another discussion board a suggestion that for their own convenience UK drivers should either print up or get faxed to them their drivers' record from the DVLA every time they go abroad. This will serve as a dated counterpart and thus satisfy any car rental requirements (although they rarely ask to see one), and anything the police may want. I'd suggest to Dibbers that if they do have an existing paper counterpart, take it with you just to be sure.
So what does the youngster do who passes his test on the 1st January and will never be issued a paper license? What does he produce in the US? The same as everybody - his photo card license
How do you think cops in this country cope with all the various European, African and Asian drivers? You deal with what you are presented with and have the fallback of a radio and control room who can research what is what.
Do you honestly think a patrol officer in the US is aware that us Brits have a paper counterpart? I really think not, we produce exactly what they have, a plastic license with a picture.
Hey ho shredder rules and about time this paper thing that has a place on the antique roadshow is consigned to history as it has no use in a modern society

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 14, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
So what does the youngster do who passes his test on the 1st January and will never be issued a paper license? What does he produce in the US? The same as everybody - his photo card license
How do you think cops in this country cope with all the various European, African and Asian drivers? You deal with what you are presented with and have the fallback of a radio and control room who can research what is what.
Do you honestly think a patrol officer in the US is aware that us Brits have a paper counterpart? I really think not, we produce exactly what they have, a plastic license with a picture.
Hey ho shredder rules and about time this paper thing that has a place on the antique roadshow is consigned to history as it has no use in a modern society
The youngster who passes their test on the 1st January won't be old enough to drive in the US on an UK licence
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 14, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
The youngster who passes their test on the 1st January won't be old enough to drive in the US on an UK licence
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Brilliant!

I think the staff on the car hire desks can be more of a pain / could avoid a potential hold up there... altho we are god now, so straight to car.

If you have got both parts, just take them, stupid to be all high and mighty and not. Gets you know where, and if you don't need it, what have you lost exactly!?
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 14, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
OK skip ahead 4 years and he still hasnt got a paper license. What does he/she produce then Ha ha ha ha ha

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 14, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Brilliant!

I think the staff on the car hire desks can be more of a pain / could avoid a potential hold up there... altho we are god now, so straight to car.

If you have got both parts, just take them, stupid to be all high and mighty and not. Gets you know where, and if you don't need it, what have you lost exactly!?
Ahh the what if brigade

Old 10 Dec 14, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Ahh the what if brigade
Yep, costs absolutely nothing to be prepared. Where as without it, you could be caused a lot of stress and hassle.

Guess it sums up some peoples mentality - do you take a tiny piece of paper just in case... or do you think, no I am right, and I will stand my ground and argue with them if they ask for it.

Anyway you are right it is zzzzzzzzz - leave you to it,
Closed Thread