Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Feb 15, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by juneandpeter View Post
You need to ask Cosmos what proof they have of your booking They need to supply you with a booking Ref number. What proof would you have when you get to the desk in Orlando. This could cause a delay if they can't find you on the system.
I think you're right. I've emailed them again so will see what they come back with but if they still won't tell me what it is, I may try contacting Alamo directly to see if they can give it to me. The whole thing is a little different to bookings we've done in the past as we don't get a confirmation or a voucher for anything on the booking, all we have to show is an invoice saying we've paid. I'm sure everything will be fine but I always prefer to have a reference number as well as just a name!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

Theoretically savetime doesn't mean you can go straight to the garage. All savetime does is provide the desk with details before you arrive to enable a quicker process at the counter.

You need to do online check in and then complete "skip the counter" to go straight to the garage.

I understand people have gone straight to the garage when doing savetime only and been successful but it only takes one pedantic Alamo person and you'll be sent back to the counter.

I for one won't be taking any chances after a long flight.
Yorkshire_Dan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Djcraigod
Excited about Disney

Safari girl, we went with Cosmos last year and all I did was used my Cosmos holiday package booking reference number on the Alamo website and it worked fine.
Djcraigod is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Dan View Post
Theoretically savetime doesn't mean you can go straight to the garage. All savetime does is provide the desk with details before you arrive to enable a quicker process at the counter.

You need to do online check in and then complete "skip the counter" to go straight to the garage.

I understand people have gone straight to the garage when doing savetime only and been successful but it only takes one pedantic Alamo person and you'll be sent back to the counter.

You do not need to do OLCI in fact OLCI is only for Virgin/USA customers. I have done Savetime many times it works did it twice last year and I have never been sent back and would never go back, They have the same computers at the Barrier and Garage hut so why would you go back. You are right Alamo want you to go to the desk to sell you things you don't want or need. We are helping you by sending people to the garage so you will not have to wait long at the desk. Can I ask have you ever done Savetime?
Old 8 Feb 15, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

I believe Yorkshire Dan's post to be totally correct.

In November (so just 3 months ago), I made my way confidently to the parking garage to collect my vehicle, as read about over and over on these boards. Well, I was approached by the one 'pedantic' Alamo person (note, I wasn't looking for any help because I was following the advice on these boards!) who asked to see my paperwork and told me I needed to return to the counter to complete my check in. She pointed out where it said so on the paperwork. I protested mildly that I'd read on an Internet forum that many people did not do this so long as they had their paperwork with bar code, cc and licence. She told me they sometimes got away with it because it was not seen as great customer service, but what was required was very clear. It is!

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my next trip and I did Savetime followed by online check-in 'skip the counter' and all went just as it should.

By the way, the pedant took pity on us in November and completed our check in without sending me back because it was clear that my friend was unwell.

Now my experience might be the exception, but for the sake of a few additional minutes at the computer before I leave home, I'd say it's not worth risking.
Old 9 Feb 15, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by juneandpeter View Post
You do not need to do OLCI in fact OLCI is only for Virgin/USA customers. I have done Savetime many times it works did it twice last year and I have never been sent back and would never go back, They have the same computers at the Barrier and Garage hut so why would you go back. You are right Alamo want you to go to the desk to sell you things you don't want or need. We are helping you by sending people to the garage so you will not have to wait long at the desk. Can I ask have you ever done Savetime?
Read what the information says on their website.

Online check in is not just for Virgin and USA customers, no idea where you got that from.

I'm not saying you can't go straight to the garage by just doing savetime, because people clearly have and have been successful but OFFICIALLY you must complete savetime, online check in and skip the counter to go directly to the garage.
Yorkshire_Dan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 15, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
I believe Yorkshire Dan's post to be totally correct.

In November (so just 3 months ago), I made my way confidently to the parking garage to collect my vehicle, as read about over and over on these boards. Well, I was approached by the one 'pedantic' Alamo person (note, I wasn't looking for any help because I was following the advice on these boards!) who asked to see my paperwork and told me I needed to return to the counter to complete my check in. She pointed out where it said so on the paperwork. I protested mildly that I'd read on an Internet forum that many people did not do this so long as they had their paperwork with bar code, cc and licence. She told me they sometimes got away with it because it was not seen as great customer service, but what was required was very clear. It is!

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my next trip and I did Savetime followed by online check-in 'skip the counter' and all went just as it should.

By the way, the pedant took pity on us in November and completed our check in without sending me back because it was clear that my friend was unwell.

Now my experience might be the exception, but for the sake of a few additional minutes at the computer before I leave home, I'd say it's not worth risking.
This is exactly why I posted my comments originally.

It only takes one pedantic Alamo person and bam! You're heading back to the desk and right to the back of the queue!

To avoid any doubt I'm pretty sure everyone needs to complete savetime, check in and skip the counter, just as the website instructions say.
Old 9 Feb 15, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Dory15
slightly serious Dibber

I'm going to do what it says on my paper and that is to use kiosk 😃
Dory15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 15, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Online check in is not just for Virgin and USA customers, no idea where you got that from.

I'm not saying you can't go straight to the garage by just doing savetime, because people clearly have and have been successful but OFFICIALLY you must complete savetime, online check in and skip the counter to go directly to the garage.
Is this the same imformation that says pick up the keys at the desk when we all know they are in the cars.

I just tried Alamo OLCI and nowhere does it say Skip the counter with my Ref number. Some people have been able to do this because the Ref number given is in the same group as Virgin Rental number and obtain a Bypass the counter ticket. For most of us this will not work.
Please explain what details you give to OLCI that you don't give when you do Savetime? I am glad you are are not saying you can't go straight to the garage because you can.
Old 9 Feb 15, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post

I think you will find it is just for Virgin/US customers. A brief History about 4 years ago Alamo and other renters gave US citizens the option of going straight to the car American's are not known for getting upgrades and they even have there own Insurance letting them go straight to the garage also help staffing levels.
Virgin Rentals got wind of this and did a deal called Bypass the counter. Under pressure Alamo intoduced Savetime other rental firms followed suit. All rental firms had a problem with the Kiosks not working well with British Driving licence Hertz having the biggest problems. Alamo would love all their customers to queue at the desk and buy upgrade they don't need or want.
I think you have read something from their website and believe it to be true.Having had more than 50 rentals I know this is not the case.
Closed Thread