Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Dec 15, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
princess-momo
Apprentice Imagineer

Rental car VS Disney transportation

so, we've just been discussing on if we'd need a rental car or not.

we'd love to be able to just use the disney transport and not worry about a hire car but, from what i've been reading it seems like it can be a lot of hassle getting from one resort to another for example.

i'm really torn about the idea. I love the idea and the convenience of having our own car BUT i like the idea of just hopping on a bus and not worrying about the driving.

I'd love to hear everyones' personal opinion/experience on this one
princess-momo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 15, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
We use Disney Transportation for hotel to main parks, but still hire a mini-van to use for waterparks and shopping (stayed on-site at CBR and only going to Disney parks and doing the same next year but with grandparents in tow as well). Nice to have the flexibility/convenience and free parking if we do choose to use it. Also if you want an evening game of mini-golf, I'm not sure the buses still run once the waterpark has closed.

Plus, if the weather is bad in an evening we jump into the mini-van and drive around to the hotel for dinner rather than have to walk across in the rain

Next year will be the first time we've used the Magical Express as we're going to collect the mini-van from Alamo at the Disney Car Care Centre rather than from the airport.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 15, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
princess-momo
Apprentice Imagineer

before thinking of renting a car we were planning on using Uber to get to the likes of Florida Mall etc... Only thing is we're in a bit of a predicament as our party will be 3 adults 2 kids. to my knowledge uber can only take 4?
princess-momo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 15, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

Im at Pop Century right now, we are using the buses this morning but still have a hire car in the parking lot. Will probably use that wheen we go to Hollywood Studios tonight. Also like to go to publix and off site for food.

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 15, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by princess-momo View Post
before thinking of renting a car we were planning on using Uber to get to the likes of Florida Mall etc... Only thing is we're in a bit of a predicament as our party will be 3 adults 2 kids. to my knowledge uber can only take 4?
You can now use Uber-XL for larger cars/vans
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 15, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
princess-momo
Apprentice Imagineer

ah, that's good to know then

I guess i'm just trying to weigh up the price of UBERing to the destinations we would like to go to Vs. the cost of a rental car (and the convenience of having the car for such journeys)

urgh! i don't know why i'm wrecking my brain with this, we've got ages to go! haha
Old 4 Dec 15, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
To me its a no branier. Car v buses. No thank you
One word sums it up for me - flexibility.
I agree a bus is quicker to the MK but even then thats only from the TTC not a resort.
I wouldnt contemplate not having a car on a Florida trip. No queues for buses, no ringing taxis, drive when it suits me not a timetable, get to restaurants easilly and Publix, Walmart, Malls etc.
Yes it's more expensive but if I couldn't have a car I would think twice about going.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 15, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
princess-momo
Apprentice Imagineer

ok, so hypothetically speaking; where about can you pick up a hire car other than the airport? (if this is even possible!)

we'd love to do the magical express to our disney hotel to start off the magic for the kids
Old 4 Dec 15, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess-momo View Post
ok, so hypothetically speaking; where about can you pick up a hire car other than the airport? (if this is even possible!)

we'd love to do the magical express to our disney hotel to start off the magic for the kids

there is an Alamo rental agency just oustide TTC
it's called the Disney Car Care Center.

you can arrange free shuttle from and to your resort to pick up/drop off

you can pick up at CCC and drop off at MCO

just enter the correct locations when booking

like the Sheriff, we wouldn't do Disney without a car.
taxis and uber are an option, but it's like having an appointment. Having your own car means you go wherever you want, whenever you want, and are free to change plans along the way
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 15, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

We use both Disney bus and a car.

Arrive at Orlando and just catching the Magical Express bus to our resort.
Use the buses for the first few days to "do Disney" then go pick up a rental car from the Disney Car Care place, via free pick up.

Bring it back to the resort, use it to go do some shopping or Universal and return car a day or two before heading home.

Like the idea of not driving the day you arrive after long flight, but like others could not do without the car.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread