Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Sep 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Help with dieting

Just have no will power and can’t stick to a diet. We often go out for meals and can never stick to a plan. Is there a plan anyone think may be good to follow. I was looking at Noom but it seems expensive. I also have looked at WW and other plans. I’m 57 and really need to loose three stones. Any advice or help, I just can’t get motivated any stress eg my son has a lot of mental health issues I sit here and much on chocolate bars. It also does not help I also have ME and epilepsy. Hope someone can advise and help me.
Old 26 Sep 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymum23
Proud to wear my Ears

I'm exactly the same, have had the best summer celebrating big birthdays and making the most of the eat out scheme but now have nearly 3 stone to lose, and nothing fits & everything aches have re-joined slim world purely because weighing in with someone pushes me to stick to it! The good thing I find with them is you can still have naughty food just less of it. I think there is a thread on here with people's slimming recipes.
dizzymum23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

I think the hard part of dieting is thinking about food all the time When it’s the last thing that you want to think about ... and for that reason I think an option is one that doesn’t need you to think about calories points etc. Thinking seems to have changed re very low calorie approaches - have a look at Dr Michael Moseley. His point is that if you can drop a stone in a fast time, you will be motivated to carry on. So maybe shakes and soups are the way to go to help you find the motivation? Could you try that for say, 4 weeks and then review?
Good luck, it’s not easy!
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
To lose my weight I downloaded 'my fitness pal' and set my calories to 1600 a day, at this point I ran 3 time a week.

I would recommend the same calories so 1600 calories, 7 days a week. And walk 3 miles a day x
Old 27 Sep 20, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

IMO weight loss is 100% in the mind. Whatever plan you choose you really need your mind in gear.

I have been a lifetime dieter, currently happy with my weight and health though always trying to lose a bit more.

I do Slimming World, I have done it unsuccessfully in the past but am doing well now. For me the weekly accountability is key as is the commaraderie I get with the other people in the group, they are truly lovely, we have great Facebook banter (closed group) to keep us going and are really delighted for those each week that lose weight. I would hate not to go and that keeps me on the straight and narrow mostly.

You need to find what clicks with you, you can do this, you have time before your next big outing/holiday but for me I have to understand it's a lifetime commitment to eat sensibly, enjoy food but some things in moderation.

Health is key to me, my husband has followed my plan though not attended the meetings and is no longer pre diabetic has good blood results and all by eating sensibly.

You can do this! There is a SW thread here if you decide to follow that plan but any focus will work you just need to work it and that's the hard bit. Good luck.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Whole heartedly agree. Slimming World is not a diet I have been a member for 3 years now and reached my new target weight after 1 years. I go to weekly meetings without fail, as this helps to keep you on track. You will find them very friendly all likeminded people determined to loose weight. The meetings give you tips and ideas of recipes your SW friends have been using and this helps you enormously on your journey to your new you.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Another Slimming World fan here, lost 2 stone over last winter(admittedly put half a stone back on during lockdown, but back on it now and losing a little bit each week). I love the food search app, really helps you see what is ok and what is not.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m very much anti calorie counting as always found we were still hungry. Since going low carb and high (reasonable) fat it’s changed our lives. Dh has lost about 7 stone in a year and a half, I’ve dropped 2 dress sizes and I’m not longer an insomniac and my eczema is gone for the first time since I was born.
The first week is always the hardest but I love how we’re eating, we stay fuller for longer and it doesn’t cost a fortune
Old 27 Sep 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by °o°-Hannah-°o° View Post
I’m very much anti calorie counting as always found we were still hungry. Since going low carb and high (reasonable) fat it’s changed our lives. Dh has lost about 7 stone in a year and a half, I’ve dropped 2 dress sizes and I’m not longer an insomniac and my eczema is gone for the first time since I was born.
The first week is always the hardest but I love how we’re eating, we stay fuller for longer and it doesn’t cost a fortune
Well done. I have gone down the low carb route in the past and while I can lose weight very quickly for me it's just not sustainable because I love to eat fruit and non leafy greens as well as leafy ones.

I dont eat pasta, bread, rice or potatoes but that is my choice I do eat lots of pulses like chick peas, kidney beans, split peas and lentils.

Losing 7 stone is amazing and I would never put down other people route tto health, we all have to find what is sustainable for us and for me low carb t wasnt.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve changed our diets drastically since lockdown as we’d gained a shocking amount 😬
We’re following a keto-esque diet but not as strict. Fruit and veg are all good but some are to be had in moderation. Absolutely no ultra processed crap including any low fat alternatives and no sugar (natural sugar is ok but not in dried fruit)
I consulted a nutritionist as I was sick of faddy and yo-yo dieting.
This is so easy and nobody feels like they’re dieting.
Basically anything is ok as a treat. But that’s what it needs to be, a treat!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List