Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 15 Jun 24, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Pep
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyYoda View Post
I’m not completely down on the new stuff but I do look over wistfully at what they did with the Marvel Universe (all the way to Endgame). With that series of films they managed to keep pretty much everyone happy from the comic book readers to the new comers.

I really think if Disney had stuck to the Star Wars expanded universe ‘cannon’ which had been developed over decades then they may have been able to do something very special. But we’ll never know now.
It's a nice thought but even George Lucas couldn't keep all the starwars fans happy that's why he sold it. As you probably know he got bucket loads of abuse for the prequels which I would imagine would be times ten these days with social media.
Pep is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 24, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
It's a nice thought but even George Lucas couldn't keep all the starwars fans happy that's why he sold it. As you probably know he got bucket loads of abuse for the prequels which I would imagine would be times ten these days with social media.
I have watched the original films multiple times as I have watched the prequels multiple times, not a lover of jar jar but that doesn’t make the movie unwatchable though. Rouge one is on parr with the original movie and I have watched multiple times. Now comes the sequel I have watched each movie once and will never watch again as the script is just bad. Get better writers who understand the whole of Star Wars and make them read all the accompanying books before they are given the privilege of writing a movie for the WHOLE fan base not a very small proportion.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 24, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pep
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
I have watched the original films multiple times as I have watched the prequels multiple times, not a lover of jar jar but that doesn’t make the movie unwatchable though. Rouge one is on parr with the original movie and I have watched multiple times. Now comes the sequel I have watched each movie once and will never watch again as the script is just bad. Get better writers who understand the whole of Star Wars and make them read all the accompanying books before they are given the privilege of writing a movie for the WHOLE fan base not a very small proportion.
Your certainly not on your own in your opinion there. But like you say there's the George lucas originals and prequels to enjoy for all time. The new Disney films are not to yours and many others liking and you don't have to watch them infact you can just ignore they exist in cannon.
Pep is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 24, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Your certainly not on your own in your opinion there. But like you say there's the George lucas originals and prequels to enjoy for all time. The new Disney films are not to yours and many others liking and you don't have to watch them infact you can just ignore they exist in cannon.
This has got me thinking. What is the issue I have with the new stuff? This is from someone invested in the originals. I watched Star Wars at age 11 and have a loft full of old star wars merch. I was there reading Splinter of the Minds Eye and Han Solo at Stars End as a teen. It was a huge part of my childhood.

Then I grew up and didn’t look at Star Wars until the Prequels. I pretty much gave expanded universe a miss.

I think that the crux of this is that for me to get invested in the new stuff it 100% must link back to the originals.

The prequels were sort of fine but had big issues (not least what GL did with Anakin). At least they were part of the Skywalker story though. Retro fitting in C3PO and R2D2 the way they did show GL was going to go easy on continuity. I also didn’t mind Solo which at least had a Star Wars feel.

The sequels though just did their own thing. No way should they be in a Skywalker Saga boxset. The use of the original cast in those movies was just awful from my perspective. I’m with Mark Hamill on that front.

Nope, I’m actually quite happy with Andor, Rogue One, Originals and Mandalorian up until the last episode of Season 2. That all ties together pretty well.
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 24, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
I have absolutely no issue with them trying to get away from anything Skywalker but if they do it at last do it well. I had high hopes for The Acolyte. It’s just awful writing.

Osha. “The Jedi are good”
Mae. “no the Jedi are bad” etc.

Are we to believe the Jedi Tommen Barathleon was so badly effected by the events of last episode he decided to meditate for 16 years and then happily die when he saw Mae?
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 24, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
I have absolutely no issue with them trying to get away from anything Skywalker but if they do it at last do it well. I had high hopes for The Acolyte. It’s just awful writing.

Osha. “The Jedi are good”
Mae. “no the Jedi are bad” etc.

Are we to believe the Jedi Tommen Barathleon was so badly effected by the events of last episode he decided to meditate for 16 years and then happily die when he saw Mae?

Perhaps I should have said I have no problem with moving away from Skywalker but it must 100% not conflict with what is established in the originals. It’s gotta ‘fit’ and make sense. 👍

Worst line in sequels for me

“Crazy thing is…it’s true all of it, the Force, the Jedi, it’s all true.” Han Solo

Like the whole galaxy didn’t know there were Jedi just a few decades after they had been the ‘guardians of peace and justice’.

Although…Obi Wan needed to explain that to Luke in A New Hope…so none of this stands very well to too much inspection 😂
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 24, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Pep
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyYoda View Post
Perhaps I should have said I have no problem with moving away from Skywalker but it must 100% not conflict with what is established in the originals. It’s gotta ‘fit’ and make sense. 👍

Worst line in sequels for me

“Crazy thing is…it’s true all of it, the Force, the Jedi, it’s all true.” Han Solo

Like the whole galaxy didn’t know there were Jedi just a few decades after they had been the ‘guardians of peace and justice’.

Although…Obi Wan needed to explain that to Luke in A New Hope…so none of this stands very well to too much inspection 😂
Agreed it can be going down a rabbit hole trying to scrutinise and make sense of what George wrote. Even the actors in the originals admitted some of the dialogue was questionable at best.As mentioned in one of the previous posts the prequels introduced things that just didn't equate with the originals.
But quite frankly I don't care as long as it's a fun time 😃
Old 16 Jun 24, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Now has a lower rating with fans than the Holiday Special.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 24, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Think folk should wait to see the whole show before judging too harshly. I think there’s more to come out about the role that the Jedi played in coven being killed. Might be wrong, obviously.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 24, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Now has a lower rating with fans than the Holiday Special.
It’s not that bad. Nothing is that bad. Except maybe the Meg 2 I watched that last week it was awful