Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 23 Dec 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Stay away would be my advice based on my experience.
Old 23 Dec 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’ve seen it on stage and I actually loved the film! It wasn’t perfect and I definitely think you have to appreciate the stage version or the whole story is bizarre (but as it would be seeing it on stage for the first time). The two things I didn’t enjoy; Jason Derulo and the whole hip hop vibe that wasn’t done enough to make it something- do it all out or nothing at all, and the CGI made the dancing look fake. Victoria, Mr Mistoffelees and munkustrap were fantastic
Old 23 Dec 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I went to see it yesterday with my eldest daughter who thought it was garbage, I loved it but I like musicals, Jennifer Hudson was amazing singing memories and I too had goosebumps. Cinema was packed out and nobody left lol
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We went to see it tonight and walked out after about an hour, first time in all my life I have ever left a movie half way through.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

I saw it on stage when I was a kid, the first musical I ever went to see! We love musical theatre now so it holds a special place in my heart. However some of the things that made the stage show so quirky yet wonderful- like audience interaction- are of course missing from the movie. I'll never forget one of the cats running up to my mum, giving her a massive hug and shouting 'mummy, you came! ' In the show haha.

I didn't hate the movie, it entertained me enough. DH loves musicals but was just confused by the whole thing. The CGI is pretty shoddy and disturbing and the constant size changes of the cats annoyed me. One second they are cat size, the next they are tiny. Apparantley they are releasing a new version very shortly with improved visual effects.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We enjoyed it, although Rebel Wilson and James Corden just played the same characters they always do and for me they didn't quite work.

The DVD of the stage version is tons better though.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 19, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
The DVD of the stage version is tons better though.

I've just watched that tonight. I've only ever seen it performed on stage by a local school, and it seemed a bit repetitive 'I am a cat' I am a cat' I am another cat' ... I love a musical, and most of the stories in them are really naff, but having watched the 'proper' stage version tonight, I think I'll be giving the film a miss. I just don't get it - maybe you need to be a cat owner?
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 19, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
EmmaBolan
Apprentice Imagineer

I absolutely love the stage show & was quite sceptical about going to see the film having heard about it, but I actually enjoyed it! The only thing I didn't particularly like was Rebel Wilson as Jennyanydots...but then I don't particularly like her in anything so that might be why.

I do think if you haven't seen the stage show or know the story it's a very difficult film to 'understand' I still think the stage show is the best, I actually have it on DVD & watched it on Monday. I'm glad I saw the film though.

Edited at 12:33 AM.
EmmaBolan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Saw the film 2 days ago and quite enjoyed it. Found the 1st 20mins or so hard going as was distracted by ears twitching and the fact they still had human hands and feet (and some had shoes on! ) but once I got used to the characterisation I found it ok. Pleased I went and didn't listen to the critics. As others have said its not as good a watch as the stage show and if you don't know the story or like musicals it will be an awful watch. There were young kids in our showing and it didn't hold their attention at all.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

I went to see it on Boxing Day with a friend . I thought it was dull and truly awful - infact burst out laughing when Ian McK lapped milk out of a saucer then I fell asleep. Lots of little mistakes with CGI like sometimes you could spit wedding bands and other times claws ! As for the singing- give me EP any day

BUT my friend really enjoyed it

We both thought the stage version had more going for it

I read over the weekend it has only grossed back 6% of the budget and has been pulled From the Oscars ...
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List