Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Jan 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile Road trip - what car did you have?

My husband and I are doing a west coast road trip in a couple of months and have booked a mustang.

He’s now worried that our cases won’t fit in the boot and is thinking of changing the car. I’d prefer an SUV but he’s worried about there being no luggage cover thingy... so he’s now thinking of a saloon car but doesn’t really want that as it’s boring!

So my question is what type did you have? There will be some days when we’re driving and we’ll want to stop and go for some food, or perhaps visit an attraction so there may be times when the luggage is locked in the car and we don’t want it to be visible. We’ll have at least 2 medium size suitcases and a couple of cabin cases so would be interested to hear your experiences and put his mind at rest!
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We booked a Group S Ford Explorer or similar with our BA fly drive and got given a VW Atlas which is the same as a Touareg over here. It was huge with plenty of boot space.
I’ll admit we didn’t give it much thought with the luggage on show as it had tinted windows and we always took our valuables with us, well apart from the time I left our passports in San Fran but that’s another story 😂
Personally I wouldn’t want to do any great amount of driving in a Mustang as I find them ridiculously uncomfortable but that could be me. We had one in Vegas last year and my back was killing after getting in and out of it for those few days

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
We booked a Group S Ford Explorer or similar with our BA fly drive and got given a VW Atlas which is the same as a Touareg over here. It was huge with plenty of boot space.
I’ll admit we didn’t give it much thought with the luggage on show as it had tinted windows and we always took our valuables with us, well apart from the time I left our passports in San Fran but that’s another story 😂
Personally I wouldn’t want to do any great amount of driving in a Mustang as I find them ridiculously uncomfortable but that could be me. We had one in Vegas last year and my back was killing after getting in and out of it for those few days
Thank you - obviously I thoroughly enjoyed your report! My husband is a bit paranoid about it and I can’t be doing with earache for 2 weeks so want the easiest option... We’ve had mustangs before and although I didn’t find them uncomfortable like you did, I just don’t think they’re practical. Hmm, decisions decisions 🙈
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have booked a standard SUV for our trip this summer.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We have had many , Ford Escape , Ford Explorer , GMC Yukon , People Carriers etc

Like something with a decent boot space .

Many times we have stopped with luggage in the back and whilst there is no boot cover they always have dark windows .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

We are going for a Luxury car, so should hopefully be a nice comfortable ride with enough space. We have hired a mustang before and think it will be too tight with our luggage, also was worried about the luggage not being covered if we got an SUV.

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

We usually have an SUV. Size depends on what we are doing that year as far as number of days with long drives.

Had every thing fro standard to the largest sizes.

SUVs are great on the in city highways as you get good visibility and can go on the unmade roads in some of the national parks.

Mustangs are fine for couples as you can chuck a case on the back seat. Also one of the reasons to use holdalls rather than cases as you can usually fit more in.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

We've always booked standard SUV for the 2 of us and found that there were tinted windows at the back too. I'd far rather be up a bit higher to see more scenery and feel safer than being low down.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

standard suv for the 2 of us, plenty of boot space and tinted windows to leave your luggage in
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
coast2coast
Getting to know the DIBB

we always rent a SUV and we buy a cheap black table cover from Dollar Tree or other similar store and cover the luggage with that. Along with the tinted windows its almost impossible to see what's in the back of the car
coast2coast is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List