Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Dec 21, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I was told by our puppy class trainer that if your dog jumps up at someone they are within their rights to report you to the police for having an out of control dog who might bite someone…….bit extreme I know but it’s not fair to let your dog jump up at anyone……

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Hugs to those that need one xx

I am a dog owner. I adore my dog. She is literally our world.

But I have zero desire to have anyone else's dog jump up at me, lick me, play with me or want to be with me whilst out walking.

Dogs should be under control whilst out and about. Zero discussion. Zero exceptions.

My crazy Saluki X is only ever let off leas in an area we call 'the wilderness' where there are no other dogs or owners nearby. In any situation where other dogs, or people, are around, she is on a lead. It's not an infallible solution, but if my dog chased a runner or jumped up at a child, it would be my fault. Not the dog's. Not the other person's. People who do not take responsibility for their dogs makes me want to boil my brains.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

On the one hand the dogs jumping up are just usually being friendly so the owners are correct in that. However, if you know your dog is like this then keep them under control as not everyone likes dogs or wants them jumping up.

Our 8 month Cockapoo is super friendly so when out and and about on the estate he’s always on a short lead and I shorten it further. When out in the fields he has a 5m lead but as soon as anyone approaches I shorten it immediately.

I don’t have a solution but I hope you find one as I wouldn’t want you to give up walking.

People just need to respect each other’s space
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

My husband told me in future I should take a photo of the owner and dog and give to police as they are breaking the dangerous dog act. I just wonder how this man would have reacted if I'd taken his photo.

I kind of wish he'd put sonething on FB now as then I'd have all his details to give to the police.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
Why? When I walk him distraction are very difficult for a dog that is stronger than most humans. So that is why I put myself out and get up at 4-30 am. I take myself out of a situation where I might come in contact with anyone.
This seems like a perfectly sensible solution.

I always try and get out early with Rocky, simply because I enjoy that as my quiet time and the less distractions and people I might have to interact with the better

Edited at 11:15 AM.
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

I’m a dog owner and totally agree
We have this daily
If you can t get your dog back to you or you know they’ll jump at people, they should be on a lead when other people are around

Also not all dogs want to see other dogs
If there’s a dog on a lead and your dog will go over and see it, put it on too

We met an old friend walking her cute spaniel the other day
Everywhere is muddy at the moment and it was covered in mud
It jump at us the whole time she was talking, she kept apologising but did nothing about it
Put it on a lead for a minute!
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
My husband told me in future I should take a photo of the owner and dog and give to police as they are breaking the dangerous dog act. I just wonder how this man would have reacted if I'd taken his photo.

I kind of wish he'd put sonething on FB now as then I'd have all his details to give to the police.
And it’s very unlikely the Police would do anything for a dog jumping at you

They simply don’t have the time and resources for things like that

I don’t like dogs jumping up . My Labrador isn’t allowed to at anyone

Unfortunately some owners never do anything to stop it
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
On the one hand the dogs jumping up are just usually being friendly so the owners are correct in that. However, if you know your dog is like this then keep them under control as not everyone likes dogs or wants them jumping up.

Our 8 month Cockapoo is super friendly so when out and and about on the estate he’s always on a short lead and I shorten it further. When out in the fields he has a 5m lead but as soon as anyone approaches I shorten it immediately.

I don’t have a solution but I hope you find one as I wouldn’t want you to give up walking.

People just need to respect each other’s space
I think this is such a good point. Dogs do jump up to just be friendly. It never ceases to amaze me how many dog owners do let their balls of fluff jump up and around people while out walking. As a very big generalisation, it does tend to be the cockapoo 'types' that do this... if I let my 20kg+ long legged hound jump up, not only would her front feet reach your shoulders, she would probably knock you over if you weren't expecting it. But yes, she is also 'just being friendly'! It's not acceptable either way...
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
This seems like a perfectly sensible solution.

I always try and get out with Rocky, simply because I enjoy that as my quiet time and the less distractions and people I might have to interact with the better
My mum has a Doberman and a Rottweiler and always walks them at 5am because of this reason.
They’re both dopey as anything but easily distracted.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

I think to answer your question on what you should do in future

Avoid areas where you know there will be lots of dogs especially at the peak dog walking times
We cross the road or divert if we don’t want to meet the other dog when out with ours