Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Jan 22, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rding
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Barbados any good?

After having to cancel our DCL due to their covid rules and deciding we really don’t want to go back to WDW we are looking at Barbados but don’t know anyone who’s been. Is it any good and can any one recommend a hotel or location of where to stay. It will be my eldest 21st whilst we are there so is there any special places to go to? Normally when we do a beach holiday it’s to a big all inclusive resort but from what I can see it’s mainly smallish hotels so is it better to forget the AI and just pay our way. At the moment there’s reward flights as well so would be easy to cancel our existing flights and swap them over.
Thanks
Rding is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We went in 2018 with VH to the Savannah Beach hotel all inclusive.

It had 3 restaurant, a table service off a limited menu, a buffet and an adults only Chinese. It was only a small hotel, not a big chain but we loved it. Kids said it was better than WDW and DC.🤔

Hotel was a across the road from the race course which is well worth a visit. A short taxi ride to Oistens Friday night fish fry (which is a big things) and walking distance to several beaches. The hotel did a free bus to a beach and it was only 10 mins on local reggae bus to Bridgetown.

The hotel beach had excellent snorkeling and we saw turtles laying eggs and locals releasing baby turtles at night. There were wild monkeys in the trees some days!

We did an 'exclusive' 12 person catamaran day out which include all food and drinks and was amaing
sailcalabaza/

There's lots to do if you hire a car ( they drive on left so really easy) although we didn't do it.

The absolute best all Inc/beach holiday we've done and we do one or two a year for past 15 years (but only Europe until this one). Our price was fantastic and much cheaper than 2 weeks in August in Europe.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve only been a couple of times for the day off a cruise and I’ve loved it. As far as I can remember there are two different sides to the island. A windy slightly wavier beach side. The Atlantic side? And there are big fancy chain hotels there and the other calmer side The Caribbean where the much smaller hotels are. However, my recollection might be completely off! I’d go there in a heartbeat.
Old 6 Jan 22, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CarolynU View Post
I’ve only been a couple of times for the day off a cruise and I’ve loved it. As far as I can remember there are two different sides to the island. A windy slightly wavier beach side. The Atlantic side? And there are big fancy chain hotels there and the other calmer side The Caribbean where the much smaller hotels are. However, my recollection might be completely off! I’d go there in a heartbeat.
Yes your memory is correct. East side is big waves and west is really calm.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I've only been on a cruise, but was impressed by the island. Gorgeous beaches and water. We went to the beach for the day that was very close to port and did a snorkel trip out over some wrecks, was so good. I'd definitely consider a stay.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Just be aware if you test positive on arrival you are want to a quarantine hospital for a few days and then to an isolation hotel.

My brother thought they were fine due to lateral flow before they left but nephew tested positive on arrival.

2 flew home immediately and the other 2 spent a fortnight in a hotel room.

Edited at 04:41 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Google suggests the rules may have changed. So worth a check.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

If covid protocols on the cruise put you off - I would suggest currently Barbados (or any of the Caribbean islands) probably isnt the best alternative to choose.

Currently Barbados is - PCR test before arrival
Random testing on arrival
proof of vaccinations

If positive - quarantine at your own expense in an approved location (may be hotel or "other" Govt facility)

There has been some relaxation of the rules but they are all still pretty strict around Covid as they cant afford for it to get out of control out there.

Edited at 07:39 PM.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

We are flying to Barbados in April.This was last years holiday.
Going back to Cape Verde next year.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List