Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 20 Nov 21, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Till broken at checkout Tesco!

We went to Tesco today and the lady scanned everything and when she got to the end dh went to a pay and the till broke. He’d packed everything away, we had boxes of chocolates and selection boxes and he’d packed it all really neatly in separate bags. They wanted to re scan it all and start again, he said no it’s £124.00 I’ll give you £125 and you sort it out. They said no and he asked to speak to the manager and he said the same. He then emptied all the stuff back in the trolly and walked out! I went to another till putting my sisters few bits through as I always get her a few things. Is that what the policy is rescanning everything or isn’t there away to override it and we just pay? We came home with no food and ordered a Chinese and I shopped online instead. We usually go to sainsburys and that’s never happened in all the years we’ve been going. I’m not sure who was right dh or Tesco?
Old 20 Nov 21, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Difficult one , but I can guarantee it wouldn’t have been the manager or till assistant who had to put it all back on the shelves.
Apart from the perishables which would probably have had to be thrown away .
I would probably have just got them to re-scan it but everyone is different .
It wasn’t the lady on the tills fault and as it is not something I would imagine happens often the manager probably tried to handle it the best they could.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

I imagine that the policy is to rescan it; audit trail, stock control, accounting, customer info re purchasing habits etc; so, my guess is Tesco were following their procedure.

No doubt, something that happens at every supermarket but probably not often.

If it was your weekly shopping and all the stuff you wanted/needed, sounds like it may have been better to just get it rescanned.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I worked in Tesco many years ago, and how times have changed. We were trained that if the till went down, we would serve our current queue, but not accept any more customers to join the line. We then would underestimate the customers trolleys and charge them what was reasonable but always beneficial to the customer as it wasn’t their fault that the tills were down and it was an inconvenience to them
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
I imagine that the policy is to rescan it; audit trail, stock control, accounting, customer info re purchasing habits etc; so, my guess is Tesco were following their procedure.

No doubt, something that happens at every supermarket but probably not often.

If it was your weekly shopping and all the stuff you wanted/needed, sounds like it may have been better to just get it rescanned.
I agree with this but also totally see where your husband is coming from with the frustration.

You can't really be mad at Tesco for technical difficulties, computers can just randomly encounter these problems and you can't really do anything about it. Nor can you be mad at Tesco for procedures. There has to be a computer trail for all purchases.

This could happen at Sainsbury's too, you've just been lucky it hasn't. And probably doesn't happen at Tesco very often.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

With my rational head on, I would fully expect that Tesco would need everything to be rescanned, for stock management and so they have something to run the payment against.

But I also would understand your DH’s annoyance and there is every possibility that I would also leave without my shopping that day.

This isn’t a Tesco thing, it’s just one of those things. I am sure most people would say it has never happened to them no matter what supermarket they use.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I would have rescanned but have been a little peeved. I feel as I’m getting (slightly) older I’m getting more patient with others and other things in general. It was no ones fault and some poor sods job would have been to have to put all your stuff back on the shelves and while I know staff are their to work it would have been additional work they would have had to do.
Old 21 Nov 21, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Trickytenrec
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I used to work at Waitrose, and we would have asked to re-scan the whole shopping. All the stocks levels are monitored closely for ordering purposes and so needs to go through the till. Unfortunately these things happen with technology. Personally I would have got it re-scan. It’s not one fault these things do happen.
Trickytenrec is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

A similar thing happened to me at Asda once but on the self scanning tills. I had scanned everything myself and packed it all and then the till crashed.
It had to be rescanned, but the member of staff did each bag in turn and it didn’t actually take that long.
I understand your dh frustration but really the only people lost out was you as you had to re shop, plus the time wasted doing the first shop.
Oh and the poor employee who will have to put all the stuff back.

I think the staff should of offered to do it for you as it wasn’t anyones fault.

I use the scanning guns as I go around, pack as you go and know how much everything is.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

We always do scan as you shop, so that we can just scan our items and bag them up as we walk around.

Once in asda we got to the scan as you shop tills, we scanned our code on the scanner and the whole thing went blank and it lost everything…

The woman was really apologetic and offered to rescan them all for us (which we declined because the store was busy, so we just did it) and luckily it all went through fine the second time. I’ve only had this happen once in asda and never anywhere else, I think it’s just one of those things.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List