Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Aug 18, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
aajp
Very Serious Dibber

First time for everything.
aajp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aajp View Post
If you measure from your thumb to a little finger on a clenched fist x2, you'll reach that approx measurement !
Yes, I realised what you meant. It all sounds very scary.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
The only ride in all of Orlando that I haven't been on is Rip Ride Rocket, I just visualise that lap bar swinging open and I can't get on it.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
The only ride in all of Orlando that I haven't been on is Rip Ride Rocket, I just visualise that lap bar swinging open and I can't get on it.
You've not missed much. It's one of the few rides I've been on just to say I have. I'm in no rush to do again as it's not that good.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

Rip Ride Rockit is the only ride in Orlando I think I ever had an issue with the restraints with - I was trying to secure a friend's express pass in a pocket after having been handed it to look after at short notice as we were about to ride. As a result they closed the restraints on me while both arms were on the same side of my body, thus there was an arm's worth of slack when I finished. Not sure if I was really in any danger, but it did result in the old style effect of getting actual airtime coming out of my seat by that distance, rather than just getting the sensation of airtime while pinned in by the restraints. Memories of the old coasters in Blackpool with questionable results. It was hilarious, but I'm not sure I'd repeat the experience
Old 21 Aug 18, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
If you measure from your thumb to a little finger on a clenched fist x2, you'll reach that approx measurement !
Ah, so roughly the width of a hand. Ok.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Ahhh, so two fists, I see what you mean. I'd certainly expect movement over a one fist length (and agree, when it happens it's not pleasant), but two sounds a lot.
Old 22 Aug 18, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
brwhy
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I don’t think I will go in Rip ride again, as poster above said we were also rushed on, basically ran into the car and pulled the lap bar over. I don’t remember it being checked and my son was struggling with his, then we were off in the vertical climb. I was witted the whole ride my sons wasn’t secured! Obvs is was and we all got off safely but don’t think I’ll go in again, beside it’s too rattley for me now, prefer a smoother ride.
brwhy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post

I don't have much to add but having read the post I just wanted to re-iterate that it is not possible for the restraint to open mid ride - as others have said there are numerous safety features that stop this from happening, failure is built into the system.

What has most likely happened here is that the restraint has 'popped' from one click level to another. This may seem strange/scary/frightening but it not unsafe. When you pull the harness down it will go through various 'clicks' - due to the size of peoples bodies sometimes you are 'between clicks' and you might feel the restraint isn't quite tight enough and that it could be closer to your body.

If you keep pulling or ask an attendant to 'double check' or push down harder they may be able to force the restraint to click one extra time - however it might not be clicked into that final level 100%. So when you are going around the ride and your full body weight is pushed against the harness that last click 'pops' and you revert to your original click level that you had when you first pulled the harness down.

Again, this is safe. Super safe. The restrain will not fail and you won't fall out. This has happened to me a few times on B&M rides, in the US and at parks at home, it is 'normal', quite rare - but normal nonetheless

I know this hasn't been referenced but it's another common occurrence that worries people is the seat belt coming undone. The seat belt on these coasters is not there as an added safety feature. The belt itself can be opened at any point in the ride - they would never allow anything that is safety critical to be opened by a rider themselves.

It is there as a guide to the staff loading the ride - if the seat belt won't fit, then the rider is too large and the harness can't close enough clicks for the ride to be able to leave the station.

Hope that helps - coasters are safe folks - enjoy them!

Edited at 03:49 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List