Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 Aug 18, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
aajp
Very Serious Dibber

Exclamation Last coasters ride fora while

My DS 11 has become an adrenaline junkie the past year having been to Alton Towers and Thorpe Park.

Yesterday we hit SeaWorld and ride times were minimal. He hit mako 3 times back to back and then onto Kraken.

This is where the family rollercoaster divorce has started. We always ask the ride operator to double/triple and overcheck his safety harnesses. Now just on entering the first big 360 loop the overhead restraint came undone and if it was not for the seat belt back up it could have been a different post.

Advised the operator and customer services but they do not seem to bothered as it seems a common occurrence. Just a heads up to you all to check all is correctly on before riding.

We had planned BG today but he just wants to go back to England! Still got 6 days to entertain him.
aajp is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

The over head harness wouldn’t unlock. The coaster is manufactured by B&M who are one of the worlds leading coaster manufactures and there have never been any instances on any of their coasters of a harness unlocking mid ride. The way they work is they need to be in the station to unlock and have a number of fail safe devices. Also the control system on these coasters won’t allow the train to dispatch unless all harnesses are fully locked in position. Which is why you sometimes see larger size riders not being able to ride as the harness won’t close down far enough to be safely locked.

Also the seat belt isn’t actually there to hold the restraint in place of a failure, due to the forces of the ride if a restraint wasn’t locked the belt would be pulled apart. The belt is there has a reassurance to guests.

However what I imagine happened is on these coasters the restraints have various locking points and sometimes there is movement in the restraint if your body is between the two locking points and hasn’t been pushed all the way down to the tightest one. Sometimes when I ride I can’t pull it down to the tightest locking point against my body meaning the restraint feels loose, but it is locked as if you push it forwards it’s still locked from fully opening.

Edited at 12:38 PM.
m2k00 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by m2k00 View Post
The over head harness wouldn’t unlock. The coaster is manufactured by B&M who are one of the worlds leading coaster manufactures and there have never been any instances on any of their coasters of a harness unlocking mid ride. The way they work is they need to be in the station to unlock and have a number of fail safe devices. Also the control system on these coasters won’t allow the train to dispatch unless all harnesses are fully locked in position. Which is why you sometimes see larger size riders not being able to ride as the harness won’t close down far enough to be safely locked.

Also the seat belt isn’t actually there to hold the restraint in place of a failure, due to the forces of the ride if a restraint wasn’t locked the belt would be pulled apart. The belt is there has a reassurance to guests.

However what I imagine happened is on these coasters the restraints have various locking points and sometimes there is movement in the restraint if your body is between the two locking points and hasn’t been pushed all the way down to the tightest one. Sometimes when I ride I can’t pull it down to the tightest locking point against my body meaning the restraint feels loose, but it is locked as if you push it forwards it’s still locked from fully opening.
This happened to me on oblivion. I thought I was going to die (I HATE that ride anyway! ). Try sand get him back on something so it doesn’t become a fear forever
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aajp View Post
Now just on entering the first big 360 loop the overhead restraint came undone and if it was not for the seat belt back up it could have been a different post.
Did the restraint come fully open?
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
dannigizmo
Serious Dibber

This happened to me too on oblivion! Was just btw 2 locks and moved a little didnt fly open didnt think they could do that..hope that wasnt the case as surely that be like a serious incident! Hopefully some time and and he may go back on some rides as be ashame for you all to stop all together when u love it soo much.
dannigizmo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

Mobile

This is my worst nightmare on coasters- that's what makes me screech, not the coaster itself.
However, I did think I had read (on here possibly) that the default mode for those restraints is down /locked and that they would default to that if there was a failure. I.e you couldn't unlock them rather they would fall open.
I really hope they wouldn't be so dismissive if the overhead harness opened; that in itself is very worrying.
Old 17 Aug 18, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tea View Post
This is my worst nightmare on coasters- that's what makes me screech, not the coaster itself.
However, I did think I had read (on here possibly) that the default mode for those restraints is down /locked and that they would default to that if there was a failure. I.e you couldn't unlock them rather they would fall open.
I really hope they wouldn't be so dismissive if the overhead harness opened; that in itself is very worrying.
That is correct the default position is locked

I understand a lot of of B&M coasters have Spring-loaded contacts on the track in the station that connect with pins on the train to operate restraint valves and feed restraint status back to the ride controls. the Only other way to manually override this and be able to release the restraints from the default position is to do it physically on each sperate row of the coaster car with a specially key.
m2k00 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
welsh wizard
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

This is very worrying as we love Kraken. My understanding was that what the op described is impossible. OP can you describe in detail what happened as you say the overhead restraint came undone 😮😮 surely if that was the case your DS would have fallen out as the seat belt isn’t strong enough to stop it! I’m so worried now 😩😩 especially as you say the staff says it happens often OMG
Old 17 Aug 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by welsh wizard View Post
This is very worrying as we love Kraken. My understanding was that what the op described is impossible. OP can you describe in detail what happened as you say the overhead restraint came undone 😮😮 surely if that was the case your DS would have fallen out as the seat belt isn’t strong enough to stop it! I’m so worried now 😩😩 especially as you say the staff says it happens often OMG
Don’t worry the restraints can’t fail and are designed to take the force of over 1000kg. The default position is in the closed position, a train cannot leave the station unless all restraints are in the closed position and once it leaves the only way to open the restraints is by a manual key being used at the back/side of each row. When it’s back in the station part of the train connects with a another part in the station that creates an electric circuit allowing the restraints to opened by the ride operator, as soon as that circuit is broken the restraints can’t be opened unless as above manually.

As mentioned earlier the restraints have different locking points to suit different size body’s, if it’s not fully right to your body it can feel loose, especially on slimmer/smaller people this is perfectly fine and if push forward will find it still fully locked and secure. This is more noticeable when going around the track if the ride such as the loops as the forces will move the restraint forwards and if hadn’t already noticed it was slightly loose could make you think it’s not secure.

There has never been any instances or accidents involving restraints failing on B&M coasters.

Edited at 06:09 PM.
Old 17 Aug 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
welsh wizard
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thank you for your reassurance so basically the OP must be mistaken in saying the overhead restraints came undone?