Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 4 Jan 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieFairies
VIP Dibber

What one camera lens for the park

For those DSLR camera users, what would be your 1 choosen lens for overall photos at the park. I dont want a bag full of lens when i'll be mostly wearing my camera around my neck. I have a Canon 600d & a telephoto 70-300mm lens & a nifty fifty 50mm lens.
I have 4 kids with me. I also have the Canon G7X Mark II.
PixieFairies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

I would look for something starting at around 18mm and going up to something between 105 and 200mm. Preferably closer to the 200 end.

Saying that with modern phones I probably wouldn't take my DSLR into the park unless there was someone in the group who would not be on rides at the same time.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieFairies
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I would look for something starting at around 18mm and going up to something between 105 and 200mm. Preferably closer to the 200 end.

Saying that with modern phones I probably wouldn't take my DSLR into the park unless there was someone in the group who would not be on rides at the same time.
i never used my canon g7x mark ii for photos weirdly, just mostly for videos.
But did want to get more use out of my dslr as its only sitting there.
PixieFairies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Siff
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

From my last trip, i did not use the ultra zoom that much, except in animal kingdom. The more useful was the 17-50mm range that can go down to 2.8f for the night shots.
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I believe my most used in the parks was a 17-40mm (I don’t have it to hand to check) I took my Big telephoto but only used it a few times. (Think the shows at sea world)
I’m gonna be honest - also have a 600d and on its own strap and with a backpack ect. It was exhausting to carry round in the heat some days - I do now have a different strap which Is more comfy - it sits on the shoulder instead so the camera is at my hip. But be prepared to be fed up of carrying it (and enraged at the 1000 phone screens ruining your night time castle shot)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I have a nifty 50 (well 25 as I have a Lumix G9) and it’s great for portraits etc but not wide angle enough for most of the stuff in the parks. Wide is more important than zoom, I never found the need to go over 120 apart from maybe on the AK Safari ride.
This year I exclusively used my 12-60 (24 to 120 full frame). The only downside is aperture is variable and starts at 3.5.
Ideally get something at least as wide, as above, about 18 would be better, with a continuous aperture of say 2.8. I want the Lumix 12-35 which has a 2.8 continuous aperture as 70mm full frame would do me most situations and that low continuous aperture is what is really needed for the video in low light.
Old 5 Jan 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I’ve tried using just a 50mm but it doesn’t let you shoot close up so I was always backing away.

My preferred lens is my 16-200mm but it’s heavy so this year I bought a smaller camera a Fuji compact system with a 16-50mm lens.

I do like using my big camera but I can’t deny my iPhone takes great photos and it’s much lighter to carry. The Fuji was a good compromise as it fit in my bumbag.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Griff
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would go with the 50mm I am assuming you have the f1.8 version which you will find most useful in some of the lower light areas, it also brings the total unit size down to a easy carry.

Remember post cropping is an option!
Griff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I would go with the 50mm I am assuming you have the f1.8 version which you will find most useful in some of the lower light areas, it also brings the total unit size down to a easy carry.

Remember post cropping is an option!
You can’t post crop if you can’t get the full image in the shot to start with. I took mine to DLP and found it quite frustrating.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

A 50mm lens will be so frustrating in a park. You will be forever trying to fit things in and failing a lot of the time.

You will need something that starts in the 18mm range. A standard kit lens would be fine for most things, personally though I would want the versatility of something that goes to 100mm at least. These lenses start in the f2.8 range so plenty fast enough.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List