Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Jun 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
1968hammer
Getting Excited

1968hammer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Just as an aside, it will, as I understand to be the CDC who will decide when international passenger flights can land at MCO. Whilst MCO isn't on that list, airlines cannot send aircraft. Aircraft cannot go = cancelled flights = refunds. Fingers Crossed.

I'm happy to be corrected, but understand this is why Virgin have canceled flights through to late August. We are due to fly with Aer Lingus end of July, so will get less than weeks notice of cancellation, according to other posts (disgraceful! but that another thread)
2000 - Villa Davenport; 2003 - La Quinta by Sheraton Lakeside; 2005 - Villa US27; 2006 - Villa Calabay Parc; 2007 DLP - Newport Bay Club; 2010 - Villa Highgate Park; 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Marathon Weekend); 2016 - AKL/Regal Palms/Hard Rock Hotel; 2017 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Disney Wedding (best man) and Marathon Weekend) 2023 - Villa Solterra Resort
1968hammer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
It won't be long before the airlines work out that a flight with two pilots and three crew (to look after the pilots) flying completely empty is much cheaper than actually paying refunds.
I would be amazed if airlines had not already made that calculation. Putting aircraft in the air is more expensive than you might think. Fuel, maintenance, parking, multiple crews and/or night stops to name a few, plus the reputational issues around the environmental impact of doing that.

Unless there is a lot of cargo, it probably wouldn't make sense financially or politically. The attempts to delay / avoid refunds are more about cash preservation than profit, so the costs (and cash out) of operating empty would quite possibly negate that. Also, as mentioned upthread, international passenger flights to US airports not on the list of 15 approved, simply can't happen right now.

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
I suppose you're right. I dont want them to cancel though I do want to go.

They cancelled one flight and moved me to alternate one on same day.

I'd rather not pay the balance, find out the flight is going but I can't go, then find all I can do is get a voucher to be honest.

Insurance not even sure if they would pay out to be honest? Even if this was booked before it all happened. Might not be too happy I've accepted a flight change.
Hmm, did you accept the previous change, or BA just did it? Obviously you want to travel, but you could have a case for a refund on the basis of the originally booked flight being cancelled, it's a bit more of a grey area, and sounds like you booked a package rather than flight-only, which also changes the situation a bit, as it brings in the "major change" element that doesn't apply to flight-only.

Since you do want to travel if possible, my advice above stands about waiting to see if BA cancels the flight, as long as the voucher offer remains in place.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

I’m in a similar situation. We fly into Miami with BA. Our flight is unlikely to be cancelled... they have consolidated 2 flights into 1 for July, I need to watch this space! I hate still not knowing...
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieFairies
VIP Dibber

So for example if USA is still closed but my flight is still going, i could still make my way to the airport, clear immigration at dublin ( if they allow ) get on the flight ( to get my flight moneys worth ) sit in the airport for 2 weeks lol ) get my flight back.

Although i doubt we would even pass pre-clearance at Dublin, therefore wont make the flight, i wonder what would happen. What about even getting Estas at this time. Our flight is in October direct with Aer Lingus from Dub-Mco.
PixieFairies is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Peko View Post
I would be amazed if airlines had not already made that calculation. Putting aircraft in the air is more expensive than you might think. Fuel, maintenance, parking, multiple crews and/or night stops to name a few, plus the reputational issues around the environmental impact of doing that.

Unless there is a lot of cargo, it probably wouldn't make sense financially or politically. The attempts to delay / avoid refunds are more about cash preservation than profit, so the costs (and cash out) of operating empty would quite possibly negate that. Also, as mentioned upthread, international passenger flights to US airports not on the list of 15 approved, simply can't happen right now.

Hmm, did you accept the previous change, or BA just did it? Obviously you want to travel, but you could have a case for a refund on the basis of the originally booked flight being cancelled, it's a bit more of a grey area, and sounds like you booked a package rather than flight-only, which also changes the situation a bit, as it brings in the "major change" element that doesn't apply to flight-only.

Since you do want to travel if possible, my advice above stands about waiting to see if BA cancels the flight, as long as the voucher offer remains in place.
I own a consultancy that advises travel companies. I can assure you that putting aircraft into the air is not more expensive than I think, I've got a very clear view as to how much it costs, it's basically my job to know.

I can assure you that I am starting to tell some companies that they would be better flying/sailing rather than cancelling.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 1968hammer View Post
Just as an aside, it will, as I understand to be the CDC who will decide when international passenger flights can land at MCO. Whilst MCO isn't on that list, airlines cannot send aircraft. Aircraft cannot go = cancelled flights = refunds. Fingers Crossed.

I'm happy to be corrected, but understand this is why Virgin have canceled flights through to late August. We are due to fly with Aer Lingus end of July, so will get less than weeks notice of cancellation, according to other posts (disgraceful! but that another thread)
which airports are on the list in florida at the mo?
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post

Cancelled then I opted to change. Fly drive so a package.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
which airports are on the list in florida at the mo?
MIA and FLL. FLL just added recently before that it was just MIA.

Edited at 04:38 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
muppster
Excited about Disney

I read somewhere that the price of sending cargo by air has shot up in these present times, 5k a tonne was mentioned... so an aircraft flying 40 tons of cargo will still bring in 200k.
You need a lot of passengers to make that amount on a single flight, hence why BA especially, and VS to a lesser degree are flying many flights a day "cargo only"
muppster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List