Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 21, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Another new build question: North facing garden

Plot 135 is the only one left on this phase. Available from May 2021.

The only downfall is it's north or is it classed as north east as it tilts slightly to the right?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, these are what I would normally ask my Dad

Living in an end terrace for 5 years we've only had a yard, and I feel like I don't want to sacrifice my dream of a south facing garden. When do you get the sun with a north facing garden?

Old 18 Feb 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That would be a deal breaker for me Louise. This was reinforced during the past year when we spent so much time in the garden
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Our last two houses have had south facing gardens and the front rooms in the house can be so much colder than the back and the front only gets any sun very first thing and last thing in the day. I think position of our neighbours house does impact that a bit but personally I wouldn't want a north facing back garden unless it was a really good size and likely to still have sun somewhere
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looking at it I think you will get the sun in the back first thing in the morning and it will move down as the day goes on
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

The sun sets in the west and it looks like your get some sun from the side late afternoon early eve. It really depends on the time of year and how high the sun is in the sky.
Personally for me it would be a deal breaker I'm afraid.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

We have had a few new build houses over the years any a north facing back garden would always be a no no for me, always the first thing I check before going any further.

There is no doubt my back garden is roasting in the sun all day but at least I can create shade when required but I can't create the sun.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

we have a west facing rear garden (total fluke to be honest as we didnt even think of this) i wouldnt have a north facing being 100% honest
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Thanks everyone! I thought it might have been a case of sun from mid day or maybe no sun of an evening, but even so, I would want sunny evening BBQ's etc as we work all day x
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

We have a north facing garden and if I'm honest I wouldn't have one again. We don't get any sun on the patio in the afternoon or early evening so never feel we can eat out there.
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

I have just doubled-checked and we are also NE facing. It wasn't a huge deal for us when choosing the house (first home), although I at one point I did panic nearly get swept up in the south-facing propaganda after we'd had an offer accepted!

In all honestly I love our garden and the sun we get, but I think it works well for us because our living space is at the back of the house. Would it be the same for you? We get a lovely, bright warm garden and living area in spring and summer, any time from morning up to around 4ish. I love coming downstairs to a bright and toasty living room. It does make me a little sad when we start to lose the sun after 4.30ish, but we certainly get a good amount of time in the garden on the weekends.

If it is your dream to have a south facing garden it might not be worth the compromise, but just wanted to offer a different perspective!
TigerLily8 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List