Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
If we didn't own DVC, we would stay at Staybridge Suites every time, to date I have never slept in a more comfortable bed! Whilst we hardly used the full kitchen, it was there if needed & I think you can never state how much of a difference the extra space makes.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

I do think many of the villas have kitchens that would look fantastic in 1980s Britain - but I guess all countries have their own styles.

We are a family of four adults but would never share a room for anymore than a night or 2.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I think that American styles are behind the UK, most accommodation, hotels, suites, villas are quite old fashioned in the decor. The upside is a lot of the furniture is quite durable, the beds and settees tend to be comfortable. Got to love a lazy boy armchair 😁
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I can’t say I’ve stayed in too many hotels anywhere in the world with a microwave. It’s not a standard feature in a hotel. And anywhere I’ve stayed in the uk with a fridge has usually got it stocked with expensive mini bar items.

We like the 2 double bed arrangement. As a family of 4 it works well for us and we find it frustrating in the UK that it’s so hard to get a family room. And when you find one they are often very expensive. We stay in a lot of travellodges simply due to lack of options for families.

I wouldn’t claim that the Disney hotels are 5 star but we’ve always found them clean and comfortable. The outside corridors is very typical in the USA and when they overlook lovely themes areas rather than a car park I don’t mind them at all.

We’ve tried a villa but it’s not for us. We like to be in the middle of the action and love that Disney bubble. But we do hire a car so we can escape when we want to. Best of both worlds.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
I think that American styles are behind the UK, most accommodation, hotels, suites, villas are quite old fashioned in the decor. The upside is a lot of the furniture is quite durable, the beds and settees tend to be comfortable. Got to love a lazy boy armchair 😁
Not behind. Just different.

I found the UK style very strange when I moved here in 1990 but you soon adapt to what you see around you.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think this is a case of managing your expectations. You can get what you want for a family of four adults (cheaper) in multiple hotels on the Orlando area. You just can’t get them for the same price on Disney property. You pay a premium to stay there (location) but sacrifice room space and facilities per $ spent. It’s a choice not a requirement though. Microwaves in hotel rooms is not the ‘norm’ though. The Disney hotel rooms are for families (with children) I think really. If you’ve got four paying adults then I’d go for two rooms. Why don’t you have a look what’s available on I Drive or look at Town Houses?
Old 15 Jun 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

It probably depends on the region of the US too. In California the places we’ve looked at on Airbnb all look like they were designed by professional interior decorators. Really beautiful and modern but a sleek, minimalist style that wouldn’t suit everyone either. I’ll also say that very fancy hotels in the U.K. and a lot of European cities are very much the dark furniture, flowery wallpaper and heavy curtains look. I think that’s what Americans probably think of when they think of European style, that English manor/Louis XIV look that most of us wouldn’t have in our houses! We were guests at the K Club in Ireland for a wedding last year. It cost our hosts a pretty penny but it really did look like someone went crazy at an antique auction, too busy.
I think the climate plays a factor too I can’t imagine having the same decor in Florida that I’d have in cold, rainy England. I lived in a house in London that had a white kitchen, pine floors and white walls and I felt cold in it and kept thinking I’d love to move it to Spain where it would look lovely with some sun pouring in the window!
As Bev says I don’t think of U.K. style as being terribly modern, just different. My husband’s Swedish friend thinks we’re very old fashioned and he wants to burn all of our kitchens! I think his house in Sweden looks like a dentist’s waiting room 😆
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Not behind. Just different.

I found the UK style very strange when I moved here in 1990 but you soon adapt to what you see around you.
I'm not knocking it, like I say you can't beat relaxing in reclining lazyboy chair 😁 A lot of American houses have much more floor space and need the substantial pieces of furniture. They'd overwhelm most living rooms in UK houses and they aren't a style I'd choose myself.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

I love the refurbed rooms at pofq, think theyre very tastefully done and have coffee machine and fridge, all I need for my holiday. Each hotel has its own theme, values are mainly disney themed but the rest are themed as per name - having been to new orleans 3 times I think pofq is spot on and I choose it for that reason. As already said the perks of staying onsite justify the cost for me.
Old 16 Jun 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

When we 1st went to Disney as a couple we were booked to stay at the Liki Tiki Village resort but was offered the DDP for free at the pop century resort just for a extra £95. We enjoyed the meals so much that as we don’t go as often wouldn’t think about stopping offsite unless the free DDP was removed.
The rooms maybe basic but we only in there to sleep and shower.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List