Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 2 Jul 19, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerbelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Can they swap?

I am looking at the DDP options and as my youngest is 8 he will be expected to eat the “kids menu” and his brother will be 11 so he will be allowed the adult menu.

My 11 year old is a REALLY fussy eater but my 8 year old isn’t so can they effectively swap meals so my more experimental son can take more dining options.

I’m thinking for our first night we are thinking of booking a character meal at contemporary - I’m hoping it’s practical to go, we land at around 2 and we are staying at AKL and as far as the buffet is concerned my eldest would be much happier with chicken nuggets than the adult options and my youngest much happier with the adult options than chicken nuggets.
Old 2 Jul 19, 03:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Mobile

At a buffet everyone can eat from all sections regardless of age. At regular table services just order 1 adult meal and 1 kids. No one will worry who eats what as long as the overall credits balance.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 06:12 AM  
Link to this Post
TartanTink
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I personally would advise against a character meal on the first night , remember although you land at 2pm it will be 7pm UK time and by the time you get through the airport and to the hotel then onto the contemporary your kids may be too tired to enjoy it. I would book it for the following morning as you will be awake really early anyway.

Tartan Tink
TartanTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 06:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Anyone can eat what they like at a buffet. I do however agree with poster above that a character meal on a first night, unless you are arriving from a stay somewhere else in the US, sounds a bit much.

We would always do something on the first night, happy to go to a park, but a character meal at a resort I am not staying at would not be on the cards.

At other restaurants, so long as you order according to the type of credits you have, nobody is going to monitor who consumes what.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m another who wouldn’t book a table service meal on arrival day. We were delayed almost 3 hours one year plus generally feel so tired we don’t have the energy.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Another vote in favour of no character meal first night, by breakfast the next day everyone will be raring to go and up early!
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

At about £20 difference between the price of an adults and kids park ticket I would buy all adult tickets so both children could have the freedom to eat what they want, also gives you the option if either just wants something small/inexpensive from the kids menu to pay cash for it freeing up table service credits to use for a signature(2 credit) dinning experience.
Also as AKL is the furthest resort from most anything else booking a character dinner would be a step to far on a already very long day, head for the pool and order a few snacks to refresh yourselves then head Animal Kingdom on your first morning when you wake up at stupid o'clock, get an early fast pass for the safari then an ADR for breakfast at tusker house (probably the best on site buffet breakfast). Great way to properly start your holiday

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

yes they can swap just order 1 adult meal & 1 child meal it doesn't matter who actually eats the food. We did it the 1st time we had the ddp dd who was on the adult plan but super fussy ate all the kids meals and ds who was younger and on the child plan ate all the adult meals never an issue.
Buffets you can eat whatever you want from all sections regardless of being on the adult/child plan they just offer a small child's section with food typically more popular with kids

I agree with the other I would not book a Ts meal for arrival night too many possibilities for delays and you just don't know how you will feel by time you get there. You'd be better off just grabbing qs and maybe book an early morning character breakfast for the next day
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerbelle
Apprentice Imagineer

My kids are like the energiser bunnies and can keep going WAY longer than most thanks to a dose of ADHD in one and a sleep disorder in the other. Due to food allergies I won’t be able to eat on the plane so by the time we arrive I will be extremely hungry. The kids will be also because they have hollow legs. If getting to contemporary isn’t practical then what would be our next best option? My 11 year old is extremely fussy and may not be tolerant to African flavours and thanks to his autism is EXTREMELY unlikely to budge and try something new because we are on holiday
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Elsa Idina View Post
My kids are like the energiser bunnies and can keep going WAY longer than most thanks to a dose of ADHD in one and a sleep disorder in the other. Due to food allergies I won’t be able to eat on the plane so by the time we arrive I will be extremely hungry. The kids will be also because they have hollow legs. If getting to contemporary isn’t practical then what would be our next best option? My 11 year old is extremely fussy and may not be tolerant to African flavours and thanks to his autism is EXTREMELY unlikely to budge and try something new because we are on holiday
We are two adults, we can keep going until 11pm / midnight Orlando time on arrival day, but I still would not have fancied or got the best out of a character buffet at that time. Getting to another resort on Disney transport (excl say one monorail resort to another) is not something I could be bothered with on arrival night either as it would be minimum two buses. If i needed to eat, I would eat in resort, go to the nearest park or go to Disney Springs.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List