Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Jan 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Mobile SF cable cars.

Can you just pay on board or do you need a day ticket? Which route is best to go on? I’d like to do travel to Nob Hill & back as I hear that is the steepest? Also can you go from FW to union square on one?

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We got on at Market Street - I'd say it's well worth getting on there if you can as:

a) You get to see the spectacle of them turning round
b) You are getting on at the start of the line which means you have a better choice of seats/standing spots. If your desired spot gets taken by someone in front of you, then just wait for the next one when you should be first on.

We took the Powell-Hyde Line which gives you plenty of hills, including a view down Lombard Street (from the right side of the car) and takes you to Fishermans Wharf.

We paid with cash on board.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

This is great thanks, I have this noted. To get to union square from FW, do I get on at Mason street? We’re staying in that street so it will be handy.
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We used the Powell line, going up to Union Sq.

The ticket office is at the turnaround point and just to the left of that turnaround whilst facing uphill. If you view the image on my trip report 'California N to South at Easter', then you can see it along with a 'how to do it' description.

The cable car is ancient, rickety, loud .. and great fun. . You are well briefed by the conductor as to safety and then off you go, standing or sitting. (I would recommend standing. You have plenty of time for photos before you set off. The Conductors talks a lot and have a great sense of humour, making your journey an 'event'. We loved it!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:14 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
This is great thanks, I have this noted. To get to union square from FW, do I get on at Mason street? We’re staying in that street so it will be handy.
It leaves Powell, by the BART Station.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel85
Getting Excited

Mobile

In my experience the main turn arounds are very very busy with long queues. They don’t fill up the cars at the turnaround though so if the queues are big I’d recommend walking up to the next stop (won’t be far) and get on there.

You can pay cash on board or you can get a 3 day MUNI pass from the likes of Walgreens I think which includes unlimited cable car travel, as well as the other street cars. Depending on how often you are going to ride, it meat be worth looking in to - they used to be around $20 for a 3 day pass.
Ariel85 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone! Great info & tips!
I think we’d like to do the Powell & Hyde line so we can see Alcatraz on the way back. So we only pay till the end of that line, then pay again to get back? Sorry I want to get it right before we get there! We’ll probably only use it twice, to do this route & go get to Union Square from FW & back again.
Old 8 Jan 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Be warned the Union Square end gets a huge queue to get back on to the cable car, think we queued for about 45 minutes last October
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

We went from Union Square to the top of Lombard Street (Powell/Hyde line), then walked down Lombard Street - saved us a lot of climbing uphill! The top of Lombard Street is pretty close to the end of the line so you're not missing out too much by getting off there. It's a really long queue to get on at Union Square though.

Be aware that if you take the Powell/Mason line and want to see Lombard Street... the stop nearest to Lombard Street on this line is at the bottom of the hill, so you'll have to climb uphill!

For the Union Square stop you'll need to either have a SF travel pass of some description (there are some tourist passes that include unlimited cable car rides), or buy a ticket from a ticket booth nearby before boarding. For other stops the conductor will collect fares or check tickets on board.

You pay per ride - so each ride is a fixed fare regardless of how long you are on the ride for. So would take it as far as you can if you want to get your money's worth!

I slightly regret not going to the cable car museum and seeing more about how the cable cars all work!