Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 10 Jan 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
FindingMerida
Apprentice Imagineer

FindingMerida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Just had a good read through, and I think these are reasonable questions that I'd like to see the answers for too!
May 2016 - DLP Newport Bay Club Oct 2016 - DIBB Villa, BLT
Jun 2017 - DIBB Villa, HRH, AKV
Mar 2018 - DLP Magic Circus Jun 2018 - DCL Magic 7 Day Med
Sep 2018 - DLP 36K Challenge Nov 2018 - DLP Sequoia Lodge at Christmas
Apr 2019 - DIBB Villa, AKV, BLT
Sep 2019 - DLP 36K Challenge
Oct 2019 - DCL Fantasy 7 day Western Caribbean
Sep 2020 - DLP 36K Challenge
FindingMerida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

So it what Disney have done with the points allocation actually legal? Surely it must be otherwise they wouldn't have done it?
Old 10 Jan 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

This is the tricky part of the whole thing! Many people assume Disney would never do anything wrong, however they have tried to get away with possibly illegal things before and got caught.
The two sides to this are that either they would never do anything illegal, or that they would do illegal things because no one would believe it or challenge them on it.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
So it what Disney have done with the points allocation actually legal? Surely it must be otherwise they wouldn't have done it?
I think he explains these issues on his website in detail.

I think he is saying he wants answers to his questions first, which he isn't getting.

I don't think anything can be said to be 'illegal'.

I think he is mainly arguing it's potentially in breach of contract, albeit he also raises questions of breach of timeshare statute.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry YorkshireT, I wasn't trying to say what they've done here is illegal but was trying to make the point that what they did in Hawaii was found to be wrong, but would never have been had it not been legally challenged. Act1980 was suggesting that Disney would only do 'legal' things with the points, but we probably don't know this if it's not challenged.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
Sorry YorkshireT, I wasn't trying to say what they've done here is illegal but was trying to make the point that what they did in Hawaii was found to be wrong, but would never have been had it not been legally challenged. Act1980 was suggesting that Disney would only do 'legal' things with the points, but we probably don't know this if it's not challenged.
Hi Noodlez- my comment wasn't aimed at your comment, I was just saying I read it more that he is saying in this case have they breached the contract- but he does question if timeshare law has also been breached and asks if that is legal.
You are spot on with Hawaii- they set the dues artificially low when it went on sale, were caught out by the Hawaian authorities who take a dim view of such things, and had to subsidise initial dues for life.
We also have this contractual issue with OKW which is a mess. They basically decided to extend the ground lease, and tried to force everyone to either give up on any extension and sign a waiver, or agree to it and pay more money. I know quite a few simply ignored the demands, quite rightfully thinking they don't have to agree to anything- they already bought their timeshare. There is a school of thought, I have no idea if correct or not, that if they simply decline to engage, they will get the extension by default anyway.
One guy reported a story how every time he stayed at OKW they badgered him to sign documents. In the end he got so sick of it he got his lawyers to send them a letter saying not to bother him again, and they didn't.
So your point is totally correct in that don't necessarily assume that what Disney is doing is correct or not. I have no opinion on that, but I too would like to see answers to the questions the US owner (I assume) posted on his website, in particular I am concerned about this lockoff premium, and how the points seem to have been manufactured out of thin air, and why 1 beds have gone up so much when all my observations is that they are last to go.

Edited at 07:45 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I think he explains these issues on his website in detail.

I think he is saying he wants answers to his questions first, which he isn't getting.

I don't think anything can be said to be 'illegal'.

I think he is mainly arguing it's potentially in breach of contract, albeit he also raises questions of breach of timeshare statute.
I think perhaps not illegal but more that people were maybe tricked into thinking that what they bought would always be enough for the duration of their stay. That’s the vibe I’m getting anyway. Either way it’s not ideal and I doubt anything will change 😏

Edited at 10:45 PM.
act1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List