Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jan 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
janey2000
Excited about Disney

USA rental car insurance

We have hired a car twice before in theUS and ive never before even thought about whether we have insurance

We are in the states twice this year with a rental car including crossing states. My husband (driver) has fully comp insurance here and we have travel insurance. I asked the travel insurance company but they only cover our injury, not the car or other people.

Have you taken out additional insurance or should i ask my husbands insurance company?

Thanks

Pre trip report - Aug 2014 Florida and Georgia
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=794593
janey2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 02:27 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

If you booked the car through a UK site you almost definitely had insurance included. The US websites often don't as Americans are often covered by their car insurance or credit card. If you didn't have insurance I am sure the agent would have tried to sell you some.
Old 15 Jan 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Unless you had it as part of the cover or showed some form of basic cover they wouldn't have let you drive away.

As mentioned, if you hire it via a non US entity then basic cover is most likely included, you just need to decide if you want the additional insurance to cover the excess. You can get this from them or take out a 4rd party insurance to cover this. Then there are things like tyres etc that can also be under other cover with some.

If you do it directly through a US entity then these don't come as part of the package and I have seen a few people over the years think they have got a bargain, only to find the have fallen foul of this difference.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Not sure about other companies but Avis include all insurance and excess when you book a US rental from the UK.

Only found this out when a passing car took off our wing mirror in LA and I'd expected to be charged something but was told all included.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Avis don't by default, but sometimes it can be included, so don't assume it will be included every time.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
janey2000
Excited about Disney

Thank you... we booked through Expedia, one hire is Hertz and the other Alamo. Does this mean its via a UK agent then?

Pre trip report - Aug 2014 Florida and Georgia
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=794593

Edited at 05:33 PM.
janey2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
gaz-r
Helping Minnie

You can buy Hire car insurance before you leave . I actually buy an annual hire car policy, but you can buy one for a specific number of days .

Its a massive cost saving , and gives a good sense of satisfaction. You do still need to pay for any claim first and thgen claim it back though .

I have been covered in all sorts of coutries around the world and most recently 3 weeks in Mexico .

icarhireinsurance
gaz-r is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by janey2000 View Post
Thank you... we booked through Expedia, one hire is Hertz and the other Alamo. Does this mean its via a UK agent then?
If it was expedia.co.uk than yes. A good guide is if it is priced in GBP instead of $.
Old 15 Jan 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Avis don't by default, but sometimes it can be included, so don't assume it will be included every time.
Always worth checking of course, but in the 4 times I've booked US car hire with Avis since our 'accident' (and hence started to check more closely) there has not even been the option to add on any additional insurance or cover as it's already part of the package price.

This was direct with Avis UK and maybe different if on the US site or via broker sites.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List