Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 29 Dec 18, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile 2 nights in Two bed or 1 night in Grand Villa

Hi all, I know this is very dependent on availability, but just wondered what you think would be better...

It’s my uncles 60th birthday on New Years Eve 2020 & we are going on an extended family trip to Orlando to celebrate. We will be staying using our DVC points and they will be staying in a villa as usual. As a birthday treat, we have said we would ‘pay’ for them to have two nights in a theme park view two bed at Bay Lake for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, with the view that the eight of them would stay there, and the four of us would be in a BLT studio, but that we’d spend New Year’s Eve evening in their room having party food and watching the NYE fireworks from their balcony together.

Alternatively I could try to book one night for New Years Eve in a theme park view Grand villa for all of us.

Obv the grand villa would have the extra wow factor, but we only have the points for one night and so we wouldn’t really benefit from the extra advantage of walking to the theme park that a second night in the two bed would give us,(was thinking we could go into MK on New Year’s Day and then walk back to our rooms in the evening).

My family have been to Florida several times (their first visit was for our Disney wedding in 1998 & they fell in love with Disney then and have made 8-9 trips since, but have never stayed on site).

Which do you think would be better for them for their first onsite experience?

Many thanks for your thoughts!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Tricky question. I've stayed in a BLT GV and yes they do have massive wow factor and the big lounge downstairs would be perfect for a gathering. But you would realistically only have the room from 4pm until 11am, unless you were very lucky with the previous occupants leaving early and housekeeping being on the ball. Do you want to be up and out straight after a 60th party?

As tempting as a GV is I think I might stay with the 2 nights, two bed, there's loads of balcony space for the fireworks and it won't feel as rushed.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

I’ve only seen a GV at BLT and they are amazing. However, I’d always go for a longer stay. The two beds are still pretty special and there is always the TOTWL to have a cocktail and view the fireworks one evening.
Old 29 Dec 18, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you both - that was ultimately what I was thinking too -I was taken with the idea of the extravagant grand villa, but two nights is too rich for my points (I only have 100 BLT points so would be using two years worth for the one night! Haha!) and as you say, 4pm-11am isn’t much time to even really enjoy it and certainly not enough time to feel the benefit of walking to the park!

Thanks again for helping me see sense!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Thank you both - that was ultimately what I was thinking too -I was taken with the idea of the extravagant grand villa, but two nights is too rich for my points (I only have 100 BLT points so would be using two years worth for the one night! Haha!) and as you say, 4pm-11am isn’t much time to even really enjoy it and certainly not enough time to feel the benefit of walking to the park!

Thanks again for helping me see sense!
So, we did exactly what you are talking about - 1 night in a Grand Villa as we only had enough points for that (and not enough for your alternative option).

Would I do it again, no.

But for our group it worked - the family loved the room and it was a perfect end to our trip. But we did only get into the room just before 4pm and housekeeping were keen to get us out in the morning!
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
So, we did exactly what you are talking about - 1 night in a Grand Villa as we only had enough points for that (and not enough for your alternative option).

Would I do it again, no.

But for our group it worked - the family loved the room and it was a perfect end to our trip. But we did only get into the room just before 4pm and housekeeping were keen to get us out in the morning!
Thank you for posting - it was your photos on the memories thread that got me thinking of it being an option again! 🙂

I suspect that lots of people only book one night due to the high points cost, and with it being such a large space to clean well, I can imagine that guests rarely get in early and are often hurried out!

Thank you for helping me decide - it would be amazing to say we’d stayed in one, but I suspect the reality of having the extra night would actually be more beneficial to us all x
Old 29 Dec 18, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Thank you for posting - it was your photos on the memories thread that got me thinking of it being an option again! 🙂

I suspect that lots of people only book one night due to the high points cost, and with it being such a large space to clean well, I can imagine that guests rarely get in early and are often hurried out!

Thank you for helping me decide - it would be amazing to say we’d stayed in one, but I suspect the reality of having the extra night would actually be more beneficial to us all x
I agree - the 2 nights are probably the better option. We did 6 nights in a 2 bed with friends in 2017 (hence the lack of points for 2018) and even though we only had a standard view it was brilliant. If you’ve never stayed in a Grand Villa they are still pretty impressive 😀
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I agree with everyone, I just don’t see the point of a 1 night stay.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
we got free points when we first bought and booked a grand villa for the 7 of us
it was lovely but being realistic we did not use the space, ie the dining room and there was still only 3 bedrooms so sleeper sofa was still needed to be used

I would go for the 2 bedroom and the studio more nights

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List