Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 7 Jan 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sandslash
Proud to wear my Ears

Are Disney hotels worth more money?

Hi all,

I'm wondering what people's opinions are on a straight shootout between two similarly priced hotels. One is Disney All Stars and one is a motel style one - Cl, both nowhere near top of the range, but all we can afford.

I've been to Orlando before and stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton which I thought was great (could see Rip Ride Rocket from our room window) but that was without kids. Now I have a 2yo and a 5yo.

My question is - are the lower Disney hotels really full of magic, Disney theming and make you feel extra special about the holiday?

Footnote: i'm treating them as the same price because the motel one is cheaper, but the Disney hotel has transport to the Disney parks which i've counted in as the difference between the prices.
sandslash is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Well, you get the EMH if you stay onsite.

Our first onsite stay was at ASMo and I really enjoyed it. I know it is just a glorified motel but the theming is nice and the staff are very good.

Also stayed at ASMu and Pop but, for me, the theming at ASMo was the best.
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
As you have kids 2 and 5 I'd say Disney wins every time. What with transport there if you need it (frees up families and adults if there is more than one adult in your family, so they dont have to remain tied to each other if one of the kids gets too tired), throw your tickets into the mix (14 for 7 days) and you get more discount too by getting 'free' Dining plan if booking ahead of time so thats all your food sorted (ie becomes available to book around late April for the following year if you book with Disney).. ...you also usually get free photopass too. Disney have lots of activities around the pools.
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
ps... and yes...as far as the 'magic' goes, its always made a difference to us- especially when we've had the kids with us over the years, CM's are great with the kids.

PLUS...forgot the best bit...you get to book your fastpasses and dining reservations way before time ahead of anyone staying off property.!
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by sandslash View Post
My question is - are the lower Disney hotels really full of magic, Disney theming and make you feel extra special about the holiday?
I've not stayed at any of the value Disney hotels - only at the Caribbean Beach Resort - but I would answer... no (but with an explanation of what I mean by that).

The hotels aren't really "full of magic" (that's just sales & marketing talk) and in themselves don't tend to make you feel extra special. You will find a better quality of hotel offsite for the same price - or the same quality for less price.

However...

Because the hotels are on Disney property, they are closer to the parks. And if you are primarily visiting Florida to go to the Disney parks, then being closer to those things you want to see is a definite bonus. It makes visiting the parks more convenient. Plus, if you are a fan of Disney theming, the hotels continue that theme (if you dislike the Disney theming then the Value hotels are not the best option).

There are other bonuses as well. Extra Magic Hours. Free MagicBands. Able to charge things to your room. Magical Express bus from the airport. Earlier fastpass booking. Etc. Sometimes these aren't an obvious bonus, but they do make things slightly more convenient. Which, in turn, can make things seem a little more "special", I suppose.

On our last holiday we chose to stay onsite for two main reasons - free quick service dining and convenient access to the Disney parks. We felt it was worth paying more for those and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there (and would consider doing so again). However, the hotel and the room we were in wasn't any better than others we'd stayed at for less price.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I would say that with small children the onsite option is worth it. Not because the hotels themselves are better in anyway, but because it’s so much easier to get back to them and head back for a nap or pool time mid day. We have done both and managed to avoid big queues using the fast pass system but onsite it was easier to get some of the more popular rides which with little ones will be useful.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Shroom
Having Dinner with Goofy

100% you get the Disney theming at the All Star Resorts, a heck of a lot more than the dearer resorts.

The huge stair well characters are from Disney movies, the pools are themed from Movies. There are activities around the pool for kids and it's very convenient to get to all of the parks and Disney springs. No parking charges and anything you buy can be sent straight to the hotel so no need to carry it all around.
Shroom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

There's loads of Disney theming at the value resorts and your kids would love it! I do think staying onsite with younger children is much easier too as the buses run all day every day and you're not stuck with set shuttle times from offsite hotels. They also run directly to the parks, whereas a lot of offsite shuttle buses stop elsewhere on site and you have to transfer to another bus/boat/monorail to get to the park.

It's much easier to break up the day too and go back to your room for a few hours, use the pool etc, and go out again.

You get extra magical hours, 60 days fastpass booking (instead of 30), magic bands, can have shopping sent back to your room rather than carrying it around etc.

I do think there's something magical about staying in the Disney bubble too rather than a hotel on I-drive, which isn't particularly attractive and just doesn't appeal to me personally.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
No parking charges and anything you buy can be sent straight to the hotel so no need to carry it all around.
Just a quick note that all UK bookings at Disney from 1st January 2020 will now incur parking charges at WDW hotels.

Costs are as follows:

Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night (ouch, that's quite a lot imo)

OP, I'd argue that at the ages you are at WDW hotels make the most sense. They definitely have Disney theming at the cheaper hotels, in fact I'd argue they have MORE "overt" disney theming there than at some of the more expensive resorts.

You aren't paying for room quality, you are paying for convenience and the other perks as has been suggested. We stay onsite at Universal for the same reason, you can't beat being close to the main reason you travel so if you are primarily going for WDW parks, I'd suggest you wouldn't regret an onsite stay there.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 02:57 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Just a quick note that all bookings placed after March 2018 will now incur parking charges at WDW hotels.

Costs are as follows:

Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night (ouch, that's quite a lot imo)

OP, I'd argue that at the ages you are at WDW hotels make the most sense. They definitely have Disney theming at the cheaper hotels, in fact I'd argue they have MORE disney theming there than at some of the more expensive resorts.

You aren't paying for room quality, you are paying for convenience and the other perks as has been suggested. We stay onsite at Universal for the same reason, you can't beat being close to the main reason you travel so if you are primarily going for WDW parks, I'd suggest you wouldn't regret an onsite stay there.
That's not quite right. Bookings made through UK agents get free parking until the end of 2019. After that parking charges will apply. Bookings made through US agents have parking charges applied now.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List