Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 19 Jan 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Hotel on Int Drive or Villa and car

Just looking for a bit of advice on what to book for our next Orlando holiday please. I'll be travelling with two adult kids who wish to do their own thing, but are too young to drive. We all enjoy being together on holiday, but enjoy doing different things. We have always done the villa and drive, but just wondered if a hotel might be the best option this time. Would we still need a car or are the shuttles sufficient for shopping and parks? Any advice gratefully appreciated. Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

I'd say it depends which parks you all think you'll go to.
I prefer Lake Buena Vista to I-Drive, for parks (Disney and Seaworld area) and shopping - but if I was doing Universal instead of Disney I'd do Universal area (and i'd be looking at staying in either the condos/townhouses nearby, or the onsite Universal hotels in a family suite/2 rooms).

Theres nothing wrong with villa/townhouse/condo and a car too though - some of the villa/townhouse/condo communities are easily accessible by Uber/Lyft if some of your party want to go off and do other things some days.

Edited at 12:33 PM.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Maybe the Disney waterparks, but we've already done all the others so would concentrate on non-Disney or Universal activities. The kids were a bit bored being stuck at the villa last time after having their independence with cars at home. Thanks for advice so far. Hadn't thought about Buena Vista.
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

what other things were you thinking of doing? you could also consider only hiring a car for a few days, it wouldn't need to be for the duration of your holiday, for when you know you'll be doing things together and driving yourselves would be more convenient?

eta - uberestimate is brilliant for working out how much its likely to cost by Uber, depending on where you want to stay and where you want to go -

uberestimate/

Edited at 12:43 PM.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
If you're not doing disney then is a car needed?

If youre doing things like the florida mall, going out on trips to say the altamonte all, going to winter park, winter gardens then is a car needed?

In international drive youd have plenty of places they could walk to, youd have sea world, universal volcano bay all easy ubers. The premium outlets a uber, the vineland outlets an uber. Walmart on turkey lake road an uber.
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for that. I'll check that out.
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Yes, wondered about hiring a car for a few days. Just wondered if anyone on here had done both (villa and hotel) and how they felt it compared. Thank you for your reply.
Old 22 Jan 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Leah30
Helping Minnie

First time i went a few years ago we stayed in Raddison on IDrive with No car (busses and taxis)

since then its been Villas and a Car.

Id never go back to hotels now, its such a different much more relaxing holiday with in a Villa with a car in my opinion. I have 2 children now 14 and 18 and we love the freedom of being able to pop back as and when for a break.
and stock up the cupboards with supermarket tasties

I would however like to stay onsite one year as Ive never done it.

hope this helps.x

Florida Obsessed
Leah30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List