Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Jan 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandieb View Post
We're there on a Tuesday for four nights so may have a go. Do they take the $20 even if they don't upgrade you?
No just hold it in your hand at check and say" I was wondering if you have any complimentary upgrades" They will then say I will take a look, but try and make sure they have seen the $20. Its very common practice in Vegas. If we get one I hand it over, if not we dont. My daughter once handed hers over and they said it was busy so no upgrades and he slid the $20 back to her. Its done a lot
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Sandieb View Post
Thanks for the info. I had heard about the $20 trick but thought it was a myth! LOL!
It mostly is ..

Upgrades depend on a lot of things , how long you are there , is it a busy time etc

You are as likely to get a upgrade just by asking nicely

Many employees won’t take it now .. see as a bribe ..
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
It mostly is ..

Upgrades depend on a lot of things , how long you are there , is it a busy time etc

You are as likely to get a upgrade just by asking nicely

Many employees won’t take it now .. see as a bribe ..
I tried asking nicely at Vdara and she didnt even look ...just said no. My daughter checked in at different desk with the $20 and got upgraded to a corner suit. They definitely look harder if they are getting a tip. Thats my experience. Its a tip not a bribe for there help, and from what I read and have done dont agree most employees wont accept it. Quite the opposite actually.

Edited at 05:06 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
It is a bribe ..it goes in their pockets and not to the hotel .

You are basically paying the employee to sort you a better room rather than paying the hotel for one .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
It is a bribe ..it goes in their pockets and not to the hotel .

You are basically paying the employee to sort you a better room rather than paying the hotel for one .
You are asking for a free upgrade, and it is up to you whether you tip for that privilege. They have the go ahead to give them if they are available. Of course it goes into their pockets just like any other tip does. It is definitely not a myth and I know 100% for a fact that a lot of employees do it. So if you ask for the free upgrade then dont tip thats ok?
Old 22 Jan 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Have to agree, have done the $20 trick since 1989, works sometimes and others not, but it's normaly declined as previuosly stated when it's busy or you are there for large amount of nights. It's never been taken without them looking and then I hand it over with my CC.

It's Vegas money talks.

Edited at 04:37 PM.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by metalguru View Post
Have to agree, have done the $20 trick since 1989, works sometimes and others not, but it's normaly declined as previuosly stated when it's busy or you are there for large amount of nights. It's never been taken without them looking and then I hand it over with my CC.

It's Vegas money talks.
lol I agree in Vegas money talks
Old 22 Jan 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Oh dear! I had to stop watching when he started eating!
Old 24 Jan 19, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
The Hulk
Imagineer

Earl of sandwich in planet Hollywood always a good one and as you've got a car there's a bahama breeze just off strip,appetizers $5 each during happy hour. Checkout groupon.com too for some food and drink bargains.
Las Vegas Oct 14/Jul 16/June 17/Sep 18/May 19
USA east-west June 16
The Hulk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List