Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 13 Dec 17, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Chilling at DLP Day 1

DAY 1, Sunday December 3rd

For those who didn't read the pre-trip this report is written by my son Edward as with his rota he actually has time to write and you might see it completed within a year or so.

Link back to the start.

At 03:30 my phone proudly announces that it's time to get up. Delightful. Despite being booked on the 08:20 train and it being a Sunday the main reason for our early start was that during our time away I was having new carpet laid in my room which meant everything had to come out. So, at 04:00 our house was filled with the harmonic sounds of grunting, and mild swearing as furniture was moved around.

This didn't hold us up too much and by 05:10 we were on the road to Folkstone; with me driving us down. Bar a brief stop at Thurrock services we were soon at Folkstone waiting for our train which was running 15 minutes late.

Once on the other side it was about 3-3.5 hours down to Disney, again we stopped a couple of times. Me and Dad did take great delight in looking at all the snow and the temperature fluctuate between 1-3 degrees.

Sadly, the closer to Paris we got, the worse the weather became as both the temperature and visibility dropped; a theme that would remain for the week.

Alas after just over 7hrs 20 later we pulled into Disney for one of the most pointless security checks I've ever seen, the guy made us open the boot, glanced a look in and said "ok" before opening the barrier.

Feeling much more secure, it was time to do battle with check-in (remember I don't have a booking confirmation for this hotel) However despite our fears, we were indeed in the system and after some pointless form filling (Paris loves paperwork) we had room keys and were on our way.

One of the first things to grab our attention was the sheer number of Spanish and southern Europeans. It turns out that the week we'd booked, was a national holiday in Spain and it seemed half the country had gone to Disney. This wasn't going to be as quiet as we first thought.

Once moved into the room it was time for a rest; before heading down to get our park tickets as for some reason they can't issue these at check in. We weren't in a rush as tonight was the only night the parks were closing at 22:00.

As you can see, the visibility was not the greatest, combination of rain and fog made for a 'pleasant' evening. Apologies for the picture quality, despite our best efforts the flat and fading light makes them appear a bit 'dull'.

Walking into Disneyland at just gone 17:15

Christmastastic

Our first stop was guest services to get Mum a disabled access pass. Unlike in the US, in Paris you can't queue within the main queue, you have to either go via a different route or up the exit line, as the main queues aren't built for wheelchairs.

Having been seen to by an efficient Swiss Cast Member who wanted to see proof of Mums disability (recent pictures UK disabled badge are acceptable) and asked some basic questions of her mobility. We were soon on our way, card in hand. Although due to the rain, we did spend 10 Euros on a poncho for the ECV. Steep yes, but at least they'll give you another for free if you damage one and can show the receipt.

Guest in bag.

Tis but a small castle.

Having been cooped up in the car all day and being told just how much better Hyperspace Mountain is over Space Mountain, I was insistent that this be our first ride. This would also be our only night to ride as it would be down for maintenance during the rest of the trip. We also managed to grab a couple of fast passes.

We joined the 'only' 25-minute wait and progressed well, until it went tech. Sadly, I'm not 'at one' with the French or things flying. I should point out that I work for a large European Airline and have a reputation amongst other crew for things going wrong on French routes.

Eventually we were on our way. This is indeed much better than its US counterparts and is not a ride for small children like the one in Florida. It is much faster, more intense and inverts, none of which happens in Florida.

Oooooohhhhh so pretty.

By now time had marched on and food was required. In Paris the restaurants and food outlets close early and everything, even the coffee stands close by park close. Don't chance it, as you might find places are shut; as happened to Mum and Dad in June.

We made our way to Marionnette's for three set of their roast chicken. Again, food ordering is different in Paris, as items are against set menus which are rigid. You can order items 'A la Carte' but this is by far and away the most expensive way to order. Your best bet, (as we did) is to get others to order certain things from each menu and swap at the table rather than at the register.

Dinner devoured, it was time for one of Mum's favourites, Pirates. This was down for refurb back in June so none of us had ridden it before.

The version here echo's that of Pirates in California, and is much darker and longer than either of its US cousins. Of the three versions we've ridden, we all agree this is by far the best version.

Old Tower of Terror prop?

New head of Disney IT?

Another ride hyped up was Big Thunder. The 15-minute wait was more like 5 and we didn't stop until just before the station. This really is the 'Wildest ride in the west’ It’s much faster and intense than Florida and you get some serious airtime, especially at the back. Mum refuses to ride this with Dad as she's convinced that she'll come flying out! having eaten recently, Mum didn't partake.

The majority of the ride takes place on this island. The train must easily hit 40-50MPH in the tunnel on the way back, it's seriously quick!

We decided we should again go to a ride we could all enjoy, so we went back to Discoveryland to help Buzz defend the galaxy. I'm pleased to report that once again Emperor Zurg was defeated and returned to the store.

But our galaxy wasn't safe, oh no. We needed to go back into hyperspace, which thankfully went without a hitch.

Having spent all this time in various galaxy's we needed to get home, so a trip with Star tours was arranged.

Not what I usually fly, maybe a new delivery?

This however was not so event free. For some reason the 3D did not sit well with me and I spent most of the flight looking at the floor, so I've no idea what happened. All I do know is that we had a sequence that must have come from the new film as neither me or Dad recognised it.

By now it was approaching 21:00 and we were somewhat tired, plus the weather was once again moving in. With Star Tours having confused me, I was definitely ready to call it a night; which we did. We took a slow walk down Main Street looking at all the decorations before making our way back to the hotel.

We did discover a door way into the hotel from the main path, which bypassed security at the front door. This we used for the remainder of the trip which made getting in and out every time much easier.

Back in the room there was time for a quick tea to warm up before calling it a night. I don't know about the other two, but it wasn't long before I'd gone out. We could use early entry tomorrow, but there was no way that was happening.

Back to the index

Edited at 01:11 PM.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Good to read about the ride comparisons between Florida and Paris.
Old 4 Feb 18, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
Good to read about the ride comparisons between Florida and Paris.
Thanks for reading and commenting. The Paris parks really do compare well to their American cousins.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Very Serious Dibber

Your photos are lovely, for some reason I imagined DLP to look completely different from WDW.

Thanks for writing up your trip!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by eleele View Post
Your photos are lovely, for some reason I imagined DLP to look completely different from WDW.

Thanks for writing up your trip!
Some areas are very different from WDW, but in most places it is very familiar.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.
Old 28 Oct 18, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
AhoyShipmates
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’m going in December with my mum and young son. It’s great to see your photos and get an idea of what our trip will feature. Thanks for writing up your experience.
AhoyShipmates is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by AhoyShipmates View Post
I’m going in December with my mum and young son. It’s great to see your photos and get an idea of what our trip will feature. Thanks for writing up your experience.
Thanks for taking the time to comment, I hope you have a fantastic time on your trip. My biggest tip would be to take plenty of warm clothes.
Old 30 Oct 18, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Loved reading this as we’re off in a couple of weeks. Interesting comment re Space Mountain. I have to avoid this in WDW because the seat really hurts my back. Is this seat more like Rock n Roller Coaster would you say?
Old 30 Oct 18, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridafan View Post
Loved reading this as we’re off in a couple of weeks. Interesting comment re Space Mountain. I have to avoid this in WDW because the seat really hurts my back. Is this seat more like Rock n Roller Coaster would you say?
Thanks, I hope you have a fantastic trip.

Yes the seats on Paris' Space Mountain are normal coaster ones and nothing like the Florida version's seats. If you are ok with Rock'n'Roller Coaster then you should be fine with these.
Old 4 Nov 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Adcro
Serious Dibber

What you thought was an old ToT prop has been there since the early days. I have a photo with it from about 2002, heh.
Adcro is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List