Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jan 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
robot1000
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Pans View Post
We have managed to bag the exit row seats in the bubble both ways in September. This cost us an extra £59 pp for each leg. Consensus is that the extra cost for these seats is worth it. I guess it all comes done to cost v benefit?
I'm considering it on the flight out there as the whole row is currently available. Just have a couple of questions on them:

1) How did you find the width of the seat (as they I'm aware they have the tvs in armrest)

2) Do the flight attendants sit in their seats other then takeoff and landing

3) Does it have a storage compartment, as it's an exit row seat?

Thanks

Edited at 07:41 PM.
robot1000 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gp1602
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I took some photos of the bubble and downstairs on our last trip --

The bubble:

Downstairs:

Definitely the bubble for us!
I love this we too much prefer the bubble. Quieter and just nicer for 9 hours!
Gp1602 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Pans
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by robot1000 View Post
I'm considering it on the flight out there as the whole row is currently available. Just have a couple of questions on them:

1) How did you find the width of the seat (as they I'm aware they have the tvs in armrest)

Thanks
This will be the first time for us in this row and in fact our first trip to Disney for 9 years. Having said that my understanding is that the seats are slightly narrower as the entertainment screen is in the armrest. I don’t think storage is an issue as there is storage alongside the seats by the window so in IMHO a better arrangement. Not sure about crew seats so but don’t see that as an issue.

I am sure there will be some fellow dibbers who have sat in this row who can give a more informed view.
Pans is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by robot1000 View Post

Thanks
My husband always has a window seat on this row. The seats are slightly narrower, but it's not a problem for him. Only the window seats have the storage compartment. The flight attendants seats are opposite, but there's at least 4-5ft if space between them and the exit row seats. The generally only sit there for take off and landing in our experience, but like I said, there's so much space that it doesn't invade yours at all.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pans View Post
This will be the first time for us in this row and in fact our first trip to Disney for 9 years. Having said that my understanding is that the seats are slightly narrower as the entertainment screen is in the armrest. I don’t think storage is an issue as there is storage alongside the seats by the window so in IMHO a better arrangement. Not sure about crew seats so but don’t see that as an issue.

I am sure there will be some fellow dibbers who have sat in this row who can give a more informed view.
The seats on the economy exit row are slightly narrower (about an inch and a quarter) due to the IFE screen being in the armrest. Storage wise, the overhead bins upstairs are a smaller due to the curvature of the aircraft, but you do have the side-storage bins by the window seats.

The cabin crew will only normally sit in their jump-seats opposite passengers in row 75 for takeoff & landing. The one exception is severe turbulence - there are two levels of turbulence. The first is "seatbelt signs on & all passengers seated, service continues but no use of washrooms allowed". The second is very severe turbulence when the crew will be told to suspend service quickly and take their seats.

I suppose the only other caveat about the bubble is that some passengers find it a little claustrophobic - particularly in the economy section where the seats are closer together. That, along with the curvature of the plane will not be to everyones liking. I note the OP is suggesting sitting in exit row 75, so all the space in front of these seats should negate most claustrophobic feelings.

As always, it's "horses for courses" - many people on here love the bubble, others prefer the downstairs seating.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
RailRunner
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
The seats on the economy exit row are slightly narrower (about an inch and a quarter) due to the IFE screen being in the armrest. Storage wise, the overhead bins upstairs are a smaller due to the curvature of the aircraft, but you do have the side-storage bins by the window seats.

The cabin crew will only normally sit in their jump-seats opposite passengers in row 75 for takeoff & landing. The one exception is severe turbulence - there are two levels of turbulence. The first is "seatbelt signs on & all passengers seated, service continues but no use of washrooms allowed". The second is very severe turbulence when the crew will be told to suspend service quickly and take their seats.

I suppose the only other caveat about the bubble is that some passengers find it a little claustrophobic - particularly in the economy section where the seats are closer together. That, along with the curvature of the plane will not be to everyones liking. I note the OP is suggesting sitting in exit row 75, so all the space in front of these seats should negate most claustrophobic feelings.

As always, it's "horses for courses" - many people on here love the bubble, others prefer the downstairs seating.
Are the seats in economy closer together than downstairs or the same? Just trying to figure out if I'd want to book the bubble. Also how much does the curvature limit the height? I figured that was why they had the bins next to the seats.
RailRunner is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Anfield Red
Excited about Disney

Love the Bubble exit row seats,so much room in front of you,easy to get out of your seats as no one to disturb and no one in front to recline,i am a large guy and had no issues with the slightly narrower seats due to the tray and screen that comes out so have booked them again for our May 2019 trip both ways which may be the last time if Virgin have replaced the 747's before we go again in 2020
April 2006 Villa Weston Hills DIY
Oct 2011 Villa Glenbrook Resort TCD
May 2014,2016,2018,2019,2020 Heron Villa Orange Tree

/B]
Anfield Red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Love the bubble, done the premium economy once and that was in the bubble. That was extra nice as we paid economy price for them ( virgin hols issue, another story)
Last time we had exit row seats. Yes, narrower but not uncomfortable. I'm 17st and 6ft 3 so not the smallest .
Enjoyed stretching my long legs out as far as I wanted.
Also there's only a limited number of passengers using the 2 toilets .
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RailRunner View Post
Are the seats in economy closer together than downstairs or the same? Just trying to figure out if I'd want to book the bubble. Also how much does the curvature limit the height? I figured that was why they had the bins next to the seats.
The economy seats upstairs are spaced the same as downstairs. It's only really the passengers in the window seats in the upstairs economy section who may feel the curvature of the aircraft makes them feel claustrophobic (particularly if they are quite tall).

If you do a Google Images search on "Virgin Atlantic 747 upper deck" you'll get quite a few pictures returned. Look at the ones with the newer cabin layout - (Premium at the front / Economy at the rear) and you'll see what I mean about the window seats. (I'm not posting a link to any of the pictures here as they may be copyrighted - but a simple Google Images search will return the same photos).
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
RailRunner
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
The economy seats upstairs are spaced the same as downstairs. It's only really the passengers in the window seats in the upstairs economy section who may feel the curvature of the aircraft makes them feel claustrophobic (particularly if they are quite tall).

If you do a Google Images search on "Virgin Atlantic 747 upper deck" you'll get quite a few pictures returned. Look at the ones with the newer cabin layout - (Premium at the front / Economy at the rear) and you'll see what I mean about the window seats. (I'm not posting a link to any of the pictures here as they may be copyrighted - but a simple Google Images search will return the same photos).
Yeah I figured as much after seeing videos. But was curious about the statement. Not that tall myself, so I probably have no problems.
RailRunner is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List