Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jan 19, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
DMB1
Earning My Ears

Mobile 10 days covering San Fran, Las Vegas and LA - first time

Hey everyone,

Instead of going back to Florida this year, we have booked 10 days on the west coast for the first time over the Easter break.

We fly DUB-SFO then have 3 full days there, then an internal flight to Vegas for 4 nights and then finishing up in LA for 3 nights then a direct flight back to Dublin from LA.

We will also be travelling with our son who will be just over two and a half by the time we travel ( a bit more difficult than our last experience of going to Orlando in 2017).

What I was hoping was for some of advice of what to do when we get there considering our time will be very limited.

In San Francisco we want to see Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge other than that I’m not too sure.

In LA we hope to visit both Disney parks, do the WB tour and possibly Universal - although with our time being limited, I know this might not be possible.

We haven’t booked any car rentals as of yet - I would imagine we will only require this for LA.

Which Disney park is more for toddlers out of the two?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mark...
DMB1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi

Your itinerary is covering a lot of places in a very short time so you'll need to be ruthless in what you choose to do (plus you're going to waste time travelling between the different cities). It sounds quite hectic with a two year old!

Disneyland isn't really in LA so it's almost worth thinking of it as a separate area entirely. On a good day it can take an hour to get between the two; it's taken us well over two hours before. I can't see any easy way that you could properly do both Disney parks, Universal & WB with only two full days.

Will you be staying in Anaheim (Disney) or LA (Universal/WB) when you are there?

For toddlers I'd say the original DL park has most rides.

I'd suggest if you want to do all that, cutting Vegas to three nights and extending LA (or Anaheim) to four. Fly into SNA rather than LAX for Anaheim, or Burbank for LA.
Old 5 Jan 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
With a toddler you’d be better doing longer in LA and less in Vegas so you could do both parks etc

Disneyland has more for kids but the adventure park has Carsland which is a must for us .

Warner bros has a age limit btw you have to be 8 so your child can’t go .

Universal I like but there’s not a lot there for small kids if your short on time I’d ‘miss it

As Karen says Disneyland is in Anaheim which due to traffic is a good 2 hrs each way so staying in LA isn’t practical really .

Personally having taken small kids to Vegas and taking a baby next month I wouldn’t do it without a car .

Edited at 10:23 PM.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DMB1
Earning My Ears

Mobile

The dates have already been booked - so looks like one day at one of the Disney Parks will do as we are staying in LA.

Will forget Universal and WB tours to the next time.

1 day hopper seems pretty expensive buying direct.
DMB1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I wouldn’t bother with a hopper you’ll easily fill the day in Disneyland park

If you’re stopping in LA and want to be there for park opening i would leave LA 2/3 hrs beforehand and traffic in the mornings is a nightmare .

Disney park tickets don’t vary much in price a few sellers here have them but similar prices to on the gate and exchanging vouchers for tickets is painfully slow there can easily take 1/2 hr .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DMB1
Earning My Ears

So we've decided to only do 1 day in 1 one of the parks at Disney. I can order online now for $288 for 2 people (my son will only be 2, so will be free still) and that includes the maxpass.

Is it worth booking now or wait til we get there, we will visiting a couple days after Easter.

Also is there an option of Bus to get to Disney from LA (we are staying pretty close to the walk of fame)? In the off chance we dont rent a car for whatever reason.
Old 17 Feb 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Tips for SF (went a few weeks ago):

- Don't get a car, parking is a pain and expensive
Alcatraz is brilliant, ideally get the 845 1st crossing of the day, quieter.
- Bridge is great, if you like waking and photos get an Uber to visitors centre the other side, then walk under bridge and up hill to get great views and another angle, then walking over bridge is good but would really need an Uber from there back to the centre
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Public transport (including Amtrak) is available, but won't get you there for opening. Could you keep the hotel in LA and book another in Anaheim for the night before? Uber/lyft is an option though I don't know how that works with child seats. $40-50 dollars each way I think.
Get tickets in advance, last thing you want is to queue up to buy tickets in the morning, especially with a 2 year old.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List